At what stage in a relationship....

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:24 pm

should one reveal their spectrum issues?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:28 pm

Wow....I really do not have a logical response to such a qeustion. When I told the last girl that I dated about me having asperger syndrome she didnt belive me for unknown reasons she never told me why its like they think your telling them you have something mentaly wrong with you at least...Thats how it feels

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

That's what I was afraid of, Joker. Thanks. :?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 12:08 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
That's what I was afraid of, Joker. Thanks. :?

The girl I like that goes to my church knows that I have it she is taking psychology in college so she doenst think im weird because she

gets me I can be myself around her with no judgement from her she is really sweet I just need to man up and ask her out but I am

waiting for a fairy tell story to come to life waiting for the perfect moment to ask her just hope its not to late

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 12:10 am

Timing is vital in creating a successful relationship. It can make or break a good thing.

I'm bad at timing. :(

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

Me to I have never timed things just right for them to goes as planned I try to text her as little as I can I wait about two

or three weeks an out of know where she sends me a text wanting to talk so I am in a way making her chase after me to so far its working

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 12:57 am

I feel it's important to tell your partner as soon as you're comfortable with them. If you put on a facade or persona and you aren't yourself, after a short period of time, your true self will start to show. The whole idea of a diagnosis is to give people a better understand of why someone is how they are, if your partner refuses to take the time to understand or simply generalizes you, they aren't worth your time.

A relationship free from expectations and pressures is the best kind. I also feel it's important to tell them sharply and not talk in a self-obsessive manner about it and the worst thing you can possibly ever do is talk about yourself or AS in a self-defeatist manner.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 1:08 am

Dunno, with me they know what they're getting into as I'm so open about it. I'll weed them out early.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 1:16 am

Thats what I have been doing I completely agree with you about everything you said best advice I have read in a while on WP

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 1:39 am

Wolfheart wrote:
I feel it's important to tell your partner as soon as you're comfortable with them. If you put on a facade or persona and you aren't yourself, after a short period of time, your true self will start to show. The whole idea of a diagnosis is to give people a better understand of why someone is how they are, if your partner refuses to take the time to understand or simply generalizes you, they aren't worth your time.

A relationship free from expectations and pressures is the best kind. I also feel it's important to tell them sharply and not talk in a self-obsessive manner about it and the worst thing you can possibly ever do is talk about yourself or AS in a self-defeatist manner.

I agree that one should always be themselves at any stage of a relationship, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to have full disclosure right away. This is why I was asking.

Meh... I told him about half an hour ago anyway. He didn't seem phased in the least, but I did gradually ease into it. I've told him on other occasions about some of the difficulties I have. Like not being very good at small talk, having repetitive routines, and not understanding social cues.

Truth is, it's not a relationship yet. I am unsure where it will go. We'll see how he processes this information. :lol:

Rteddy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2011, 1:52 am

I have been with the same man for 13 years and he still doesnt really get, nor do I think believe that I am aspie. I think he thinks I am just using it as an excuse to try to get away with behavior he finds difficult to live with. This i funny however as he completely excepts my son and his autism, but I guess because its not as obvious with me that I am on the spectrum he just doesnt understand it or completely believe it.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 2:19 am

Wolfheart is hot :heart:

Zinnel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2011, 2:52 am

one of the girls i dated always argued that i was the most normal person she had ever met
and that "the doctors were wrong" as she would say

another girl thought it was cool and interesting

and one girl actualy asked me if i had it based on what she had observed

i usualy tell people in person and usualy with then meeting them the second time(never on a date)
but i always seem to get a different response

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 3:25 am

I haven't gotten much of a response at this point. He said he'd heard of it bit didn't know what Aspergers was. I showed him a link that explained and all he said was "Oh, I get it". :shrug:

Zinnel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2011, 3:50 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I haven't gotten much of a response at this point. He said he'd heard of it bit didn't know what Aspergers was. I showed him a link that explained and all he said was "Oh, I get it". :shrug:

well all u can do is hope he read it and if he gets confused about something explain it again :roll:

i had to explain it 3 times to the last girl i dated and i did the exact thing u just did

pandorazmtbox
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2011, 1:48 pm

I'm trying to figure this out too. I'm very open about my diagnosis, so for me it's not a matter of someone "knowing" or not "knowing". What I wonder about is how much or how little understanding is okay or a sign to move on.

I ended a 22 marriage to my husband when he told me my diagnosis was bull sh** and he refused to read about it or talk about it--because that complete lack of understanding and unwillingness to accept some basic, medical truths about me and my neurology just wasn't okay.

Guess I'm having difficulty with the gray area. What I see here is most people saying they've talked to dating partners about it, eventually, but that the response is...confusing. Is "okay, I get it" really enough? Or is it a huge bit of support? I guess only time reveals that as the relationship moves on and you are either understood or made to suffer because of your differences--and it's hard to see which is which unless someone's so callous they tell you outright that it's bunk.