Advice for starting a conversation with girls at school

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 12:07 am

I feel ret*d for posting a question like this in this forum, but here goes:

I'm 23 and in university, and there's hot girls all around me. I'm no model, but I'm probably one of the better looking guys in my opinion (6'2 with an athletic/muscular build). My problem is I suck at getting into conversations with people at school, women in particular. Most of the girls in my classes are a few years younger than me, if that matters at all, and I just don't know how to go up to a girl and start a conversation. I usually sit by myself in class, and don't want to seem creepy by just switching seats one day to sit by a cute girl. I need to put myself out there, but I want it to feel natural and not forced.

I am trying to keep this post brief, as I need to get an opener in before I can proceed at all, once I do that, I will report back. I don't drink or party/go to bars, so if I'm going to meet a girl at school, it's going to happen during the day while she is sober (for better or for worse :lol: ).

If you don't know what you're talking about or have any constructive advice, please don't respond. I know some of you might have some suggestions on this simple yet complex problem of mine-- women feel free to weigh in here.

RubyLee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2007, 12:19 am

Well, a new semester is starting so when you pick you're seat try to pick one that's by people, preferably by a girl. Then ask her about an assignment or bring up the strange weather or ask her if she's going to some campus event.

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2007, 12:19 am

Rehearse a few "good" opening lines. Or try to find them in a conversation that you're interested in. Those are usually the best ways...for me at least :)

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 12:39 am

The most straightforward advice I've been given is to say, "Hi, how are you?" And just go from there.

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2007, 12:40 am

ahayes wrote:
The most straightforward advice I've been given is to say, "Hi, how are you?" And just go from there.

even better ;)

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 9:13 pm

Pick-up lines baaaad, let's just say that much! :lol:

How are you? How's your day been? OMG did you see that thing such-and-such did this morning? Something like that. Essentially...ask a question about her/her interests that she can answer ;)

The ultimate way to start a conversation and CONTINUE it: Ask about someone. Let them TALK. Look interested! Keep asking questions, until you get completely bored off your face. They will think you are the bees knees :D Try not to dominate the conversation too much either, for girls this is rather overwhelming (and something ALL men do).

Or another good way is to compliment something (Nice dress! I like your shoes! Did you get a haircut? That bag suits your shirt!) - but erm...not something dirty like her chest or something :lol: Or something more specific to the individual... (best way to win my heart personally...compliment my Subaru :P I'd be all over you XD)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 10:27 pm

Do not go to them! Be in the correct state of mind so that they can come to you!

Lady Magnet= Good!
Pickup Lines=Bad!
Flirting with Girls=REALLY BAD!

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 10:39 pm

Hey, flirting ain't that bad if you're decent at it :lol: A good flirt is a sure-fire way to reduce the willing into lovey-dovey mush :D There's flirting and there's being a dodgy b@$tard...being the latter is what you need to be careful of :?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 3:14 pm

you still way better than me : a guy 24 years old , 165 cm (5'4 i think) - 54 kilo with a skinny body and wearing big glasses for my crappy eyes , my hair kind is typically asian and having HFA and good gyms aren't cheap here in lebanon except the ones fulled by ex-guerillas lol . ... and so to all people i look typically a nerdo (a harry potter-looklike ) and I can't help it . I mean damn even the girl (161 cm - 58 kilo) who was interested in me joked for few times that i won't be able to hold her....

Thank your god that you are 6'2 with an athletic/muscular build and about the convesation issue it might be hard for an aspie but since you are tall and look good you still have plenty of hope.

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 5:17 pm

Awww :( It's not all about looks you know. We gals like personality too ;)

And if you want to build up some muscle tone, it's not that hard to get an exercise ball and a couple of dumbells and do some weights :D That'll help, along with a higher protein diet...booya :D

Heck, I'm a short podgy half-asian girl with glasses myself, and I ain't single :P It's aaaaall about personality at the end of the day, someone will see your inner beauty and not be in the least bit fussed about external appearance...or even better, find you adorable!

Space
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 6:23 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
you still way better than me : a guy 24 years old , 165 cm (5'4 i think) - 54 kilo with a skinny body and wearing big glasses for my crappy eyes , my hair kind is typically asian and having HFA and good gyms aren't cheap here in lebanon except the ones fulled by ex-guerillas lol . ... and so to all people i look typically a nerdo (a harry potter-looklike ) and I can't help it . I mean damn even the girl (161 cm - 58 kilo) who was interested in me joked for few times that i won't be able to hold her....

Thank your god that you are 6'2 with an athletic/muscular build and about the convesation issue it might be hard for an aspie but since you are tall and look good you still have plenty of hope.

I don't think looks mean as much as you might think, and height and build don't really either. The guys I know who do the best with women are just smooth. They're average/good looking guys, but what matters is how they talk to people. They have really good personality and social skills, and have an uncanny ability to start conversations with strangers, without coming off weird or creepy. I get mystified by people like this, but it's fascinating seeing someone like this in action. Like Shale said, it is all about personality.

Bongo2k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2007, 7:15 pm

Say the first thing that comes into your mind, as long as it doesnt involve something like "Nice cleavage" or "Are those real?" it will be fine. You seem like you are the kind of guy that doesnt look at girls and think "which one can i 'have' first?". If you are the kind of guy that actually respects females it will come across in the way you speak them.

In my experience girls find it refreshing to speak to a guy who's first thought isnt "I want to get into your undies". Make it spontanious(sp?). Rehearsed things seem so....well, rehearsed :). Plus, if things dont go the way you have planned then your forced to think on your feet. I dunno about you, but i hate being put on the spot if im not expecting it.

My ex's arent exactly something i would like to repeat, but you have looks on your side too. If you feel like your not ready to speak to them eye contact is the best place to start :). I'm sure you dont need any pointers on that, and if you do then just ask, any of these nice people will be happy to reply :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 7:29 pm

Find out what the girl's interests are, and talk to her about them

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 7:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

^ This is brilliance at its best :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 8:04 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

YES! Learn where she usually goes & ask her if it's all right if you tag along.

Bongo2k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2007, 8:11 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

YES! Learn where she usually goes & ask her if it's all right if you tag along.

That doesnt mean you have to talk to them either, If you see a girl you like pay attention to what she does, i.e. her hobbies e.t.c, im not saying go and stalk her, just observe. Observation is the key to gathering enough information to start a conversation.