Did girls always want to date you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mr. Powers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2015, 6:36 pm

Back when I was a teen and a young man girls always wanted to date me exclusively; meaning girls wanted to be my girlfriend (girls I met during the daytime).

I was, frankly, very annoyed with that. Especially some that were very pushy and downright annoying in that respect.

I honestly think that kinda pushed me very far into my shell which I pretty much closed for good; and haven't been able to open despite wanting to these past few years.

But an article on Reddit made me realize that I could have been at a fault - a guy with the same problem as I had posted and a commenter pretty much said it was because he never teased them, and always answered them with a straight answer. Like if a girl would ask him what his parents did for a living he would answer and tell the truth, instead of saying, for example, "Oh, my mother's a stripper and my dad's a drug dealer".

I've always been stupendously honest and a "do-right" kinda person, so answering in that regard never crossed my mind.

But what about you guys - what have your experiences been?

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:41 pm

I was told by a couple of girls I went to High School with that they used to talk to each other about how cute I was, but they never told me. I didn't hear about it until I was moving away after graduation. :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:48 pm

The only times that girls were interested in me during my teenaged years were when they needed someone to do their homework for them; when they needed a 'safe' boy to pick them up at their parents' house and drop them off at their sleazy boyfriend's place; when they were looking for a boy to be the 'daddy' of the baby they had conceived with that sleazy boyfriend (who had since disappeared); when they were broke and wanted someone to pay for tickets to their favorite band's concert; or when they were desperate to show their friends or parents that they were attractive enough to get a date.

So yes, in a way, girls did want to 'date' me, but not because they were interested in me as a person.

Diningroom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2015, 6:54 pm

Mr. Powers wrote:
Back when I was a teen and a young man girls always wanted to date me exclusively; meaning girls wanted to be my girlfriend (girls I met during the daytime).

I was, frankly, very annoyed with that. Especially some that were very pushy and downright annoying in that respect.

I honestly think that kinda pushed me very far into my shell which I pretty much closed for good; and haven't been able to open despite wanting to these past few years.

But an article on Reddit made me realize that I could have been at a fault - a guy with the same problem as I had posted and a commenter pretty much said it was because he never teased them, and always answered them with a straight answer. Like if a girl would ask him what his parents did for a living he would answer and tell the truth, instead of saying, for example, "Oh, my mother's a stripper and my dad's a drug dealer".

I've always been stupendously honest and a "do-right" kinda person, so answering in that regard never crossed my mind.

But what about you guys - what have your experiences been?

Surely there are girls out there who don't like playing silly quasi-flirty conversational games -- wouldn't it be easier to date them instead? Like, girls inclined to like you as you are?

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 8:55 am

haha I was the opposite. Girls DIDN'T want to date me.

Of course I never really put myself out there that much. When I liked a girl, I just usually remain in the outskirts hoping for some opportunity to talk to her. That plan never works. Of course I never knew if she would have been interested or not because I never approached. And even when I did have the opportunity to talk, my aspie social skills and shyness prevented me from holding a decent conversation.

Being short and scrawny didn't help either. (I still am)

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 9:58 am

Fnord wrote:
The only times that girls were interested in me during my teenaged years were when they needed someone to do their homework for them; when they needed a 'safe' boy to pick them up at their parents' house and drop them off at their sleazy boyfriend's place; when they were looking for a boy to be the 'daddy' of the baby they had conceived with that sleazy boyfriend (who had since disappeared); when they were broke and wanted someone to pay for tickets to their favorite band's concert; or when they were desperate to show their friends or parents that they were attractive enough to get a date.

So yes, in a way, girls did want to 'date' me, but not because they were interested in me as a person.

Ouch man, just ouch. I was never abused that much, mainly because people found me weird and ignored me. Not even been close to a date.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

11 Apr 2015, 9:54 pm

A few girls liked me as a friend but no girls offline were ever interested in anything more with me due to my many Aspie traits & disabilities.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 2:43 am

girls never want anything to do with me.

russdm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2015, 7:19 pm

Been on only 2-3 dates, and aside from that, Girls rarely have any interest in me. At least I have seen none, nor do any of the girls I know (that are around at certain activities I attend) demonstrate an interest to get to know me at all.

I try to be friendly and approachable, with a book or my kindle, mainly as maybe a conversation starter, but it feels more like I have a floating neon sign saying "Not worth it".

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:04 am

I'm a chick repellent. I don't know how I do it, i'm just a freak of nature.

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:28 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
I'm a chick repellent. I don't know how I do it, i'm just a freak of nature.

*pats head* Its okay. some of us just have those special kind of skills. And without even praticing.

JP88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

will@rd wrote:
I was told by a couple of girls I went to High School with that they used to talk to each other about how cute I was, but they never told me. I didn't hear about it until I was moving away after graduation. :roll:

My sister had gone to a wedding a couple years back and a couple girls I graduated high school with (both popular and pretty), one being my crush in middle school, ended up being sat with my sister at a table. After talking, she found out they went to my school and asked if they knew me.

They then proceeded to say that I was always a quiet kid but that I was really nice, caring and that I was always friendly to everyone (even though I was picked on). So if that was the case, why didn't you get to know me instead of ignoring me...

:x

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 1:48 pm

The vast majority of girls I dated in the past usually were fresh out of a relationship with a boyfriend. I am not sure if these girl liked me for who I was, but they claimed to have had respect for me despite arranging one-on-one meeting with their exes to "talk." At the time i had no balls to say to some of them when when they would tell me about it, or I would find evidence that they would meet "What business do you have calling your ex to meet up one-on-one? After you told me it was over and you didn't want to see them again?" I of course would fail to meet any expectations they had while I didn't know what to expect/had no expectations. I failed to communicate effectively how I felt about these situations which contributed to my failures in dating. I did get the impression that a couple of these people regretted their actions towards me afterwards as i did receive what appeared to be genuine apologies out of them.

I did have a few people who seemed only interested in me for use of my car, or to get something for free out of me. I often didn't hear from these people again after they got what they wanted. Others, there was a genuine interest, but no indication things would work out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

Girls were definitely not interested in me in high school.

I've never been a "chick magnet"--but I did okay after about age 23 or so. Before then, I was a desperate guy--and the girls knew it.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:22 pm

No. Back in high school, I was a bit too preoccupied dealing with bullies to be concerned with socializing with others. Being the fat nerdy kid, girls for the most part did not want to be associated with me, let alone date me. I was classified as an "untouchable". The ones that acted "nice" to me ended up doing it to set me up for a later beating by their boyfriends intentionally. Sometimes girls of that age just want to play a game with their boyfriends to see at what lengths they will "prove their love" for them. One thing that I learned is that being alone has its advantages when it comes to being able to focus your energy on long term goals.

1df5e76
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2015, 10:14 pm

Is this thread supposed to provide an ego boost or something?