Too much love will kill you, just as sure as none at all

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 4:19 pm

First a tip of the hat to anyone who caught or understands the reference I made with the title to this post, you're an intellect with good taste :) .

I find myself in a rather difficult junction in life and feel that my own opinion in the matter is rather biased (many of my confidants support this notion and my ever proud stance of being quiet stubborn). Before divulging into situation I find it useful to note that until last year I had not been diagnosed and had lived my life under the norm of it all the while completely unaware of the influence it has had on my life. I confess that my general odd ball nature and other particular traits proved to be very effective mask, but now see the greater effect it had on my past. I am the type of person who appears as the brute with a taste for action yet I am but a humble friendly giant who is remarkably known most for being tall, a basic but true enough observation. Those who actually take the time to talk to me find me to be a rather pleasant conversationalist despite my verbal disabilities, social hindrances, and all around asocial nature.

For the bulk of my recent years, five at the least time is a little relative to my memory when it comes to my own past, I have been obsessed with gaining the one thing I have lacked, a lasting love that completed me. This is a difficult task for a normal person, even more difficult for a asocial person, and the most difficult for one who is both asocial and has aspergers. The past years have seen nothing short of my utter failure time and time again in the task of finding this love which I do confess some error was caused by my own failure to see the deception of some people, but I digress.

The current junction I find myself in is the choice of going on without love in the hope of living for another day or trying till I should fail and presumably succumb to poor health. Since I am certain that this point will be raised by anyone who should respond, no a lover less than that of romantic, such as family or friend, is not enough. I already poses both of these having wonderful friends and a caring family. I cannot help that I will not settle for having anything less than what I consider to be the most potent of loves and contribute this refusal to yield to my current predicament. I go on rowing against the tide day by day, but can't help that this lack of direction in my life agitates me. If anyone with any saga, or even adequate, wisdom on the matter would wish to share I encourage them to in the hopes of finding the missing piece I seem to be unable to find. Also if you're somewhere out there who is going through the same struggle, my thoughts go out to you and your own misguided quest.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:22 pm

^^^Translation: "I'm a nice guy without a girlfriend. People are dishonest. My standards are not met by those around me. I may never know true love. I hope you understand."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:48 pm

I once knew a guy who used so much "love" that he put a woman in the hospital.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 8:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
^^^Translation: "I'm a nice guy without a girlfriend. People are dishonest. My standards are not met by those around me. I may never know true love. I hope you understand."

Rather spot on translation you have there. I tend to forget normal conversation with my limited interactions these days. If all else fails you should consider being a translator for the intellectually advanced yet socially poor

Diningroom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

Fnord wrote:

If you want to give up on finding true love? Go for it. I get the impression that you are fishing for strangers to tell you how special you are and how you shouldn't give up!

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

Diningroom wrote:
Fnord wrote:

If you want to give up on finding true love? Go for it. I get the impression that you are fishing for strangers to tell you how special you are and how you shouldn't give up!

I'm not really looking for any compliments since I've already heard them time and time again from my friends who are very supportive. I've strained myself trying to crack this puzzle and I'm just curious what others with a similar disposition to my own might think. I am a very curious person with that being my most known characteristic, right after being tall of course. Thanks for your thoughts though, I appreciate the feedback :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 9:17 pm

Commander wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rather spot on translation you have there. I tend to forget normal conversation with my limited interactions these days. If all else fails you should consider being a translator for the intellectually advanced yet socially poor
I work with other engineers, and I've often had to translate their instructions into common English for ordinary users. "Toggle SW1 to the upper position to start the initialization process" becomes "Set the power switch to 'ON'", for example.

Back to the topic ... We get a lot of "Nice Guy sans Girlfirend" posts. Yours is not the first. What they all seem to have in common is that the writers all seem to have higher expectations than what their social skills (and their finances) will support. I suggest setting your sights on those women who might not be your first choice to approach -- the mousy librarians instead of the hot cheerleaders, for instance.

You might be pleasantly surprised; many 'ordinary' women are more beautiful (once you get to know them) than the 'pretty' women most men are attracted to.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 9:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Commander wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I work with other engineers, and I've often had to translate their instructions into common English for ordinary users. "Toggle SW1 to the upper position to start the initialization process" becomes "Set the power switch to 'ON'", for example.

Back to the topic ... We get a lot of "Nice Guy sans Girlfirend" posts. Yours is not the first. What they all seem to have in common is that the writers all seem to have higher expectations than what their social skills (and their finances) will support. I suggest setting your sights on those women who might not be your first choice to approach -- the mousy librarians instead of the hot cheerleaders, for instance.

You might be pleasantly surprised; many 'ordinary' women are more beautiful (once you get to know them) than the 'pretty' women most men are attracted to.

It's good to know that the need for multipurpose translators is not dead, surprisingly a daily thing I run into. I'm well aware that my own case is hardly the first, nor the most interesting, in a long list of ill fated lovers. I've never really been one to go after the stereotyped cheerleader or hot girl and find more interest in a person for who they are and not how they appear. It's always good to see people who value the individual over their outward appearance. Appreciate the feedback, very reaffirming of my own positive beliefs towards others :)

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

Limerence is a hell of a drug. I used to stay up all night thinking about my crush, and laughing plus smiling the whole day and I couldn't concentrate on anything else and I lost my appetite as well. It was like someone gave me a love potion or something.

Then you find out your crush doesn't like you back and on the outside you're like okay no big deal but on the inside you're like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and you're depressed for a couple of days.

This has happened to me so many times. Either she doesn't like me back or she does like me back but i'm too oblivious to realize it or i'm too chickened out to make a move.

Love hurts.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:

Love hurts.

Ain't that the truth, still fighting to win the game of love? It's a tough fight, but the light at the end of it all is still the brightest thing I've ever seen

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 7:14 pm

I can't help but wonder, for anyone who caught the reference for the title of this thread, again tip of my hat to you, do you have any favorite song from the band that made the song? One of my favorite bands of the time :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

I can't believe I'm the first to reply and say this.

You need to learn to be happy and whole w/o someone else before you can find someone else and be as big an asset to their lives as they are to yours. You can't depend on another for happiness. You need to feel, and be, complete and whole and happy all on your own. Then, once you are, that's when you're ready for a relationship with someone else.

I've gone through all of these stages and am currently at the point where I'm pretty happy and whole all on my own, and so now I feel more open to meeting someone for a potential relationship than ever.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I can't believe I'm the first to reply and say this.

You need to learn to be happy and whole w/o someone else before you can find someone else and be as big an asset to their lives as they are to yours. You can't depend on another for happiness. You need to feel, and be, complete and whole and happy all on your own. Then, once you are, that's when you're ready for a relationship with someone else.

I've gone through all of these stages and am currently at the point where I'm pretty happy and whole all on my own, and so now I feel more open to meeting someone for a potential relationship than ever.

I'm relatively able to go on day to day with little discomfort, just the occasional moment of deep sadness we all feel from time to time, but still am unsure of what to do on the matter. It won't kill me either way, but I still find the scenerio interesting to analyse since it might yield useful information for the future.

Also still sad no one has made mention of the Queen song title I used as a reference. Hope I'm not the only one here who likes the band :(

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:18 pm

Didn't realize it was from a Queen song.

Hmm, you could do as I've done and fill the void with one night stands & friends with benefits along the way to eventually meeting the right person for you. It's been a fun way to pass the time over the years lol, but I'm now at a point where I'd rather have a relationship & am open to one vs. intentionally avoiding one.. but still have to meet the right person. I don't want a relationship for the sake of a relationship. I've turned down some that have asked me out already. Blah blah, anyways, you could always just have fun in the meantime if you're that type of person and then call it game over when you meet the right person.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:23 pm

A very spot on thought. I won't lie I've used some of these already but would prefer to meet the "end of the road" since it would be one less thing to deal with. Still glad someone other than me finally acknowledged that it was a Queen song :)

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:27 pm

I don't need love.