Nice Guys and Love, what's your take on the issue

Page 66 of 78 [ 1243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 78  Next

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

And the only way to gain experience is to do things, so what is the thinking basically 'if he/she hasn't had sex yet, they certainly never should.'? Also I thought relationships where about more than just sex, so I don't see how that is quite comparable to an employer looking for someone with experience in a certain field.....also it's not like sex is that complex of an activity I mean I think we all know how it basically works.

Back when I first started looking for work at 17, I had the exact same question, because everyone kept saying over and over again they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have enough experience, they are aware that you have to get hired on some where in order to get experience, they simply don't want to be the one to give you the experience.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:40 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:

I never said you weren't desirable because of your sexual status (there are other reasons for that). I shouls have said interesting instead of amazing because that's closer to my meaning. It's interesting that you invest so much time examining and presenting speculation as fact on the topic of female sexuality when, for neither good or bad, you haven't had first had experience.
If you felt that was a put down I apologize because it was simply an observation.

Whatever....

Quote:
(there are other reasons for that)

lol....pre-rejecting, i never asked you for your sexual validation.

Quote:
Do you dislike being a virgin?

I could pay to lose it if it's an idea i can't bear, what I dislike more is being a relationship-wise virgin at that age, I guess you know what i mean.

Quote:
Do you resent women or blame them for you being a virgin?

No. My only current friends are female.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 21 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:42 pm

rabbittss wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

And the only way to gain experience is to do things, so what is the thinking basically 'if he/she hasn't had sex yet, they certainly never should.'? Also I thought relationships where about more than just sex, so I don't see how that is quite comparable to an employer looking for someone with experience in a certain field.....also it's not like sex is that complex of an activity I mean I think we all know how it basically works.

Back when I first started looking for work at 17, I had the exact same question, because everyone kept saying over and over again they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have enough experience, they are aware that you have to get hired on some where in order to get experience, they simply don't want to be the one to give you the experience.

That is a totally real and frustrating issue pertaining to employment.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I doubt every female sees virginity as a turn off......though generally speaking society says it's supposed to be a turn off but I don't see why. In this society you're either a 'whore' because you've had too much sex, or a loser because you haven't had sex...I find it ridiculous.

We can cry about this all day.

Or we can just co-live with it.

I am virgin btw.

Oh? I wasn't aware anyone was crying...I just don't see what's wrong with being a virgin, and I think it's stupid most of society seems to promote the stigma attached to being a virgin which I personally don't think should exist in the first place.

lol ... don't take the word cry literally, i meant it as complaining and the like.

The stigma is there and it's not changing anytime soon, it's not like we have other choice but to co-live with it.

I know perfectly well how you meant it, so I figured you would know I used it the same way...also regardless of how long such a stupid stigma exists, I still see nothing wrong with being a virgin. I also would prefer to state my opinion that it is a stupid stigma, not just go along with it because that's what society thinks. I'm not a virgin and I don't think its really that big of an accomplishment.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:57 pm

about employment, what i do is volunteer in the applicable field and thus gain experience. it's like a back door that few people bother to try. also, once i do get a job, even if it is in a non-ideal profession, i make sure to diversify and sign up for opportunities to gain skill in novel areas, which will help me when looking to switch to a new career.

Last edited by hyperlexian on 21 Apr 2012, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 4:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I doubt every female sees virginity as a turn off......though generally speaking society says it's supposed to be a turn off but I don't see why. In this society you're either a 'whore' because you've had too much sex, or a loser because you haven't had sex...I find it ridiculous.

We can cry about this all day.

Or we can just co-live with it.

I am virgin btw.

Oh? I wasn't aware anyone was crying...I just don't see what's wrong with being a virgin, and I think it's stupid most of society seems to promote the stigma attached to being a virgin which I personally don't think should exist in the first place.

lol ... don't take the word cry literally, i meant it as complaining and the like

The stigma is there and it's not changing anytime soon, it's not like we have other choice but to co-live with it.

I know perfectly well how you meant it, so I figured you would know I used it the same way...also regardless of how long such a stupid stigma exists, I still see nothing wrong with being a virgin. I also would prefer to state my opinion that it is a stupid stigma, not just go along with it because that's what society thinks. I'm not a virgin and I don't think its really that big of an accomplishment.

I believe you but the fact that you are talking about it means that you are aware that this stigma (and the other stigma you mentioned) exists strongly in society.

I just personally think we just have to co-live with them, whether we accept it or not instead of wasting time by expressing our objection to it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

some people care about virgin status and some don't. the only time it matters is when confronted by a potential partner who cares either way. the rest of the world is irrelevant. for the record, i had 2 guys refuse to have sex with me due to my virgin status. obviously, a relationship with them was doomed to fail because i wanted sex. so i found someone who didn't have an issue with it.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:

I never said you weren't desirable because of your sexual status (there are other reasons for that). I shouls have said interesting instead of amazing because that's closer to my meaning. It's interesting that you invest so much time examining and presenting speculation as fact on the topic of female sexuality when, for neither good or bad, you haven't had first had experience.
If you felt that was a put down I apologize because it was simply an observation.

Whatever....

Quote:

lol....pre-rejecting, i never asked for your validation.

Quote:

I could pay to lose it if it's an idea i can't bear, what I dislike more is being a relationship-wise virgin at that age, I guess you know what i mean.

Quote:

Ooo dissmissive and juvenile, my favorite, though admittedly not what I would usually expect from someone of your advanced age.

Pre-rejecting nonsense again :roll: All I was saying is that there are likely reasons you aren't doing as well with women as you'd like other that your sexual status. Based not on knowledge of you as an individual but of how dating works. Unless you have virgin tatooed on your forehead there's no reason women could use immediately reject or devalue you for it.

Relationship-wise virgin? No I don't know what you mean. Do you have any real words to describe it?

I'm glad you have some female friends, that's very nice for you.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:12 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:

Whatever....

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ooo dissmissive and juvenile, my favorite, though admittedly not what I would usually expect from someone of your advanced age.

Who's being juvenile now? :p

Quote:
Pre-rejecting nonsense again :roll: All I was saying is that there are likely reasons you aren't doing as well with women as you'd like other that your sexual status. Based not on knowledge of you as an individual but of how dating works. Unless you have virgin tatooed on your forehead there's no reason women could use immediately reject or devalue you for it.

You sounded there expressing your personal opinion about me, and not talking in general -a confusion moment.

Quote:
Relationship-wise virgin? No I don't know what you mean. Do you have any real words to describe it?

Someone who never had a relationship.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:18 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:

Whatever....

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You sounded there expressing your personal opinion about me, and not talking in general -a confusion moment.

Quote:

It's easier for me to get away with it at my age :P
Thanks for clarifying. Could you also tell me what you mean by co-live? Does that just mean 'live with'?

I think it's worth examining and questioning patriarchal norms because that's how change happens. If we don't like being judged on the basis of our sexual status we should talk about why that is wrong and fight that perception. That's how we make the world a better place.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DogsWithoutHorses wrote:

Whatever....

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's easier for me to get away with it at my age :P

I don't know your age.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Could you also tell me what you mean by co-live? Does that just mean 'live with'?

Yes, to cope with it.

Quote:
I think it's worth examining and questioning patriarchal norms because that's how change happens. If we don't like being judged on the basis of our sexual status we should talk about why that is wrong and fight that perception. That's how we make the world a better place.

Good, I no longer have the energy for it ;p, i find it futile, I leave this cause to people like you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I believe you but the fact that you are talking about it means that you are aware that this stigma (and the other stigma you mentioned) exists strongly in society.

I just personally think we just have to co-live with them, whether we accept it or not instead of wasting time by expressing our objection to it.

Yeah of course I am aware of it, and I disagree with it. Also I don't see what is a waste of time about expressing objection to such ridiculous stigmas and such.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

My experience has been that treating women well often leads to the assumption that I "only want one thing", even when I am not interested in the girl I am talking to. Male stereotypes have a lot to do with what people think about the Nice Guy ("He's a phony", "He's just smooth-talking you", "He just wants to get in your pants", etc.) I have been raised by a feminist single mother, so I remember staring at the wall and thinking "If I can't respect OR disrespect women, what the hell am I supposed to do"?

Honestly, things improved when I became more relaxed about my own behavior. I always treat others with respect and am sure to put my ego aside when I mess up, but I became less worried about how others react when I say something they do not like. This was tougher when talking to women thanks to various gender related doctrines I've been raised with. Ultimately, I felt that if I did nothing wrong, I had no obligation to comfort those who got upset with me.

I actually ended up meeting MORE girls after "being myself", since I had to get over that hurdle where I was being two-faced. The people I met could tell that I was not standing for anything, and was just going out of my way to seem as inoffensive as possible. I think it came off as a sign of weakness, and therefore a turn off.

I would say be a nice guy, but not an apologetic one.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:53 am

It probably came across as insincerity or even dishonesty, as opposed to weakness. Idk about other women, but if I feel like a guy isn't being honest it's all I can do to even talk to him.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 2:56 am

sage_gerard wrote:
Honestly, things improved when I became more relaxed about my own behavior.

I second that. I've come to the conclusion that elevating women too much above oneself isn't really the same thing as respect. In a way, it almost dehumanizes them.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

^pedestals are not comfortable.