hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 6:12 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
it makes me want to beat up a girls boyfriend out of anger and jealousy

Dude... you're starting to scare me a little bit... this obsession is getting serious! 8O

well another reason why i feel like doing that is to show life, society, the world, that i'm sick and tired of gender stereotypes, double-standards, on how us guys are expected to toughen it up all the time, take personal responsibility all the time, etc.

how are you negating gender stereotypes and fighting the expectation to have to toughen up by basically wanting to act like a caveman and beat up men for no reason? sounds like you are wanting to behave exactly like you are expected to.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 3:41 pm

Ren fairs Sci fi conventions comic book conventions starwars conventions harry potter conventions startreck conventions Anime conventions!!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2012, 4:17 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Ren fairs Sci fi conventions comic book conventions starwars conventions harry potter conventions startreck conventions Anime conventions!!

Well, judging by your username, I guess you're into that sort of things, but others (like me, for example) aren't... :(

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:56 am

hyperlexian wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
it makes me want to beat up a girls boyfriend out of anger and jealousy

Dude... you're starting to scare me a little bit... this obsession is getting serious! 8O

well another reason why i feel like doing that is to show life, society, the world, that i'm sick and tired of gender stereotypes, double-standards, on how us guys are expected to toughen it up all the time, take personal responsibility all the time, etc.

how are you negating gender stereotypes and fighting the expectation to have to toughen up by basically wanting to act like a caveman and beat up men for no reason? sounds like you are wanting to behave exactly like you are expected to.

i just hate how it is

Lampost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm

How are you supposed to approach someone in a coffee shop that's doing their own thing (on laptop, etc.)?

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:34 pm

Lampost wrote:
How are you supposed to approach someone in a coffee shop that's doing their own thing (on laptop, etc.)?

The jury's out on that one... it's tied between, "be polite, smile and say hello - if you don't get a positive reaction then move on" and "don't approach under any circumstances or you're opening the door to all the free hostility you can handle". :? :(

I don't think I'd politely approach unless she looks up and smiles or something.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
http://www.gk2gk.com :D

That site is a ghost town.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm

Lampost wrote:

Hmmm... aside from "do you need any help with that?", I really don't think you can just approach anyone who's minding his/her own business.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 4:31 pm

machf wrote:
Lampost wrote:

Hmmm... aside from "do you need any help with that?", I really don't think you can just approach anyone who's minding his/her own business.

[peeks over innocent lady's laptop] HEY! wotcha doing? Hey! Hi! My name is Bill! You're real pretty! Hi! Can I kiss you? You smell nice! What you working on? Are you married? You kin marry me if you want! Can I marry you? We can just pretend we're married? Hey! LookitmeLookitmeLookitme!!

TommyGun991
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2012, 6:23 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
book club, knitting club (they can teach you), soup kitchen to volunteer, ballroom dance class, community college evening classes like cooking courses, yoga, zumba, meditation group, guerrilla gardening groups, etc

But there's a problem, I'm truly not, by any stretch of the imagination, interested in those things :p Dancing? I suck at it and it's hardly fun anyway, I consider dancing a dumb concept and fail to see the appeal.
Volunteering? I can hear my mom saying get a real job instead of wasting time. Plus, I don't think I have the energy to balance college and that. Same goes for evening classes. Plus, I'm not interested in picking up any new skills, I've never been interested in that actually.
Gardening? Nope. Knitting? Fat fingers and bad fine coordination.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm

there is always time to volunteer. i haven't ever stopped volunteering in some capacity or another, even when i was in school full time and raising a small child AND working for pay!

obviously, most of my ideas were just random, and you could easily come up with a dozen of your own. you're finding reasons/excuses to not have to extend beyond your own comfortable little world. that's fine - just don't expect any results beyond the same old same old because that's all you're willing to do. if you want to change things for yourself, you have to actually.... change things. if you're happy with the status quo, by all means continue on as before.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 6:40 pm

I would love to join a book club but it's usually of the older woman vaariety and I work when they do it. :(

I am taking Spanish and I do love it despite not really being as connective with people as I hoped (I am improving in some ways though since it's been awhile since I have interacted with people like I did in school).

I wish there was a biking club as I have seen a few around my area do it (including one of my bros classmates who I wouldn't mind talking to).

I agree with Hyperlexian. I did Gardening in School, as well as the Steel Orchestra (which got me into an official one in my town), as well as participated in a few writers classes and what not....

I don't think I have met much people doing it really (some are quite shallow), but I do it to pass the time and hope that I do meet some people like minded.

Vintagegirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2012, 4:32 am

Museums, Art Galleries, Book Stores and Cafes :)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:35 am

Starbucks!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:01 am

Brony Conventions
Furry meets

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:39 am

machf wrote:
Lampost wrote:

Sounds like a good query to put forth to Dr Liz Laugeson.