Why is it that the nice guys finish last?

Page 9 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:18 pm

amazon_television wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Some people NEED it to function properly and be happy. Why would anyone want to be "The real them" when the real them is a person plagued with anxiety, depression, fear, paranoia, hormonal problems etc?

+1

I can definitely see both sides of the coin on this issue. Personally I would never take meds for depression etc except as a last resort--a point that as yet I have never reached. I am fortunate that I've always been able to find ways (however drastic sometimes) to grind out depression and eventually feel better without medication. And my reasons are honestly pretty similar to Ken's, but I am fully aware that I can realistically only apply that line of thinking to myself.

A friend of mine in college was on anti-depressants on and off (this has nothing to do with AS, although coincidentally, in retrospect I'd say there was at least a 50/50 chance he has ASD of some sort), and the dude was an absolute nightmare when he was off them, and was goofy and pleasant and awesome at pretty much all times when he was on them.

Some people's lives and interactions improve exponentially with medication; I don't see how that is so hard to understand even if it doesn't fit one's own personal experience...

You have a point. I hate taking drugs. Loathe it. If there is a way to cure a problem without them, then it should always be taken.
Drugs should only come into the picture when something cannot be cured without them.

Of course the same drug isn't going to work for everyone. You just have to find one that works for you and be responsible about it if you have a medical condition that cannot be fixed without drugs.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:39 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
KenM wrote:
Aimless wrote:
On the meds matter I view it as correcting an imbalance or a deficit; not adding a false happiness.

I've seen it add false happiness. Years ago there was a women I worked with that was on some kind of meds for her moods to make her feel better. She always had a big, fake smile on her face and always sounded happy. But you could tell she did not want to be that way. All she could do was laugh when she was forced to do something we hated. She could not express her true feelings. "we have to stay 3 hours forced overtime today? Thats great" and all she could do was laugh because of those meds.

Sounds like a perfect way to go through life, unable to express your real emotions because the drugs you take force you to feel only one way.

Wait. This is weird! You could actually tell how this woman felt on the inside? Did she tell you those things, or did you imagine them? Unless you were living inside her, how do you know if her smile was fake, or that she was reluctant to do certain job duties and choosing not to show her true feelings? Since you were not her, on her particular meds, there is no way that you can make the above inference, with accuracy!

You are right, I am not her. But she did tell me that the meds she was on MADE her feel nothing but happiness, all the time. To the point of not being able to express her other emotions at the time of her feeling those emotions. The meds worsered her situation because she was unable to express Her emotions the right way. She never told me the dose or what it was excatly she was taking.

But it was all good because she stoped feeling happy when we all heard she shot herself because she did not want to take the happy pills anymore.

So sounds like just the type of person I want to be. :roll:

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:01 pm

therange wrote:
I can say first-hand that meds don't make you a walking zombie with a phony smile...it just corrects a chemical imbalance and allows you to see things more realistically. It's almost like cognitive therapy in a way, only it's faster because it gets to the root of the problem quicker and allows you to see how whiny and stubborn you were being before.

And I can say first-hand that my experiences were different. I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, I'm only saying that your experiences aren't the definitive explanation for taking meds for emotional issues (nor are my experiences either). No, drugs didn't make me a walking zombie. No, I wasn't "forced" into happiness 24/7, and was still able to feel a full range of emotions. But the happiness did feel artificial, primarily because there was no external trigger for it, it just happened without reason. Happiness isn't supposed to come from within, and I'm really tired of all the people here saying it is. I want to be happy because there is a reason for me to be happy, and when there is, in fact, a reason, I generally am happy, with or without the meds. That said, reasons to be happy are in short supply in this day and age.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:38 pm

KenM wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
KenM wrote:
Aimless wrote:
On the meds matter I view it as correcting an imbalance or a deficit; not adding a false happiness.

I've seen it add false happiness. Years ago there was a women I worked with that was on some kind of meds for her moods to make her feel better. She always had a big, fake smile on her face and always sounded happy. But you could tell she did not want to be that way. All she could do was laugh when she was forced to do something we hated. She could not express her true feelings. "we have to stay 3 hours forced overtime today? Thats great" and all she could do was laugh because of those meds.

Sounds like a perfect way to go through life, unable to express your real emotions because the drugs you take force you to feel only one way.

Wait. This is weird! You could actually tell how this woman felt on the inside? Did she tell you those things, or did you imagine them? Unless you were living inside her, how do you know if her smile was fake, or that she was reluctant to do certain job duties and choosing not to show her true feelings? Since you were not her, on her particular meds, there is no way that you can make the above inference, with accuracy!

You are right, I am not her. But she did tell me that the meds she was on MADE her feel nothing but happiness, all the time. To the point of not being able to express her other emotions at the time of her feeling those emotions. The meds worsered her situation because she was unable to express Her emotions the right way. She never told me the dose or what it was excatly she was taking.

But it was all good because she stoped feeling happy when we all heard she shot herself because she did not want to take the happy pills anymore.

So sounds like just the type of person I want to be. :roll:

Well, it's a shame what happened to that woman. I suppose if someone is going to be on meds like that, they do need to be willing and able to communicate with their doctor once in a while.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:59 pm

Seems odd to me that an anecdote about a woman who offed herself because of meds would begin as a discussion about excessive "fake" happiness, and failed to make mention of the suicide whatsoever until an actual "tangible" end result was demanded due to the initial post containing nothing but baseless assumptions about her mental state.

Also it seems strange that the intricate details of a person's suicide note would be publically released in that person's workplace.

I'm just sayin' :roll:

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:13 pm

amazon_television wrote:
Seems odd to me that an anecdote about a woman who offed herself because of meds would begin as a discussion about excessive "fake" happiness, and failed to make mention of the suicide whatsoever until an actual "tangible" end result was demanded due to the initial post containing nothing but baseless assumptions about her mental state.

Also it seems strange that the intricate details of a person's suicide note would be publically released in that person's workplace.

I'm just sayin' :roll:

I wasn't going to mention it, but, er...yeah. :?

therange
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:20 pm

No sense trying to talk sense into the whiners on this site. They're happy being miserable if that makes sense. They don't want to change due to their chemical imbalance.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm

Are you still calling me a whiner or no?

therange
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:

On this post, yes. You're making assumptions about prescription drugs based on one bad experience. If you were hospitalized and got the help you needed...they would have a week to try you out on meds and find out which combination is right for you. You're right...it is your choice as an adult to not be medicated, but you're essentially choosing misery over normalcy.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 11:11 pm

therange wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

On this post, yes. You're making assumptions about prescription drugs based on one bad experience. If you were hospitalized and got the help you needed...they would have a week to try you out on meds and find out which combination is right for you. You're right...it is your choice as an adult to not be medicated, but you're essentially choosing misery over normalcy.

therange, you might want to take a moment to re-read the thread so you understand who has said what thus far.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jan 2010, 11:11 pm

therange wrote:
No sense trying to talk sense into the whiners on this site. They're happy being miserable if that makes sense. They don't want to change due to their chemical imbalance.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

therange
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 11:22 pm

Ok, I was wrong. However, in other posts, Toad has echoed Ken's statements...that in his experience, medication provided fake happiness.

People here, including the moderators, seem to think I have it out for Toad and other people on the site. I just think they're wasting everyone's time, most importantly, their own, by being stagnant and inert. It took me a suicide attempt, over these same exact issues, to wake up, and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone on this site, especially given the fact that they could succeed in their attempt.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of competent help out there when dealing with autism, even mild autism. Therapists aren't that cognizant of it, if at all, and if someone like Toad or Ken went into therapy, they would just tell them what they wanted to hear, "Oh you can do it" or "I see potential" or "Yeah the world is against you." The right medication corrects one's self-defeating, negative thinking patterns. It doesn't ensure never being depressed, but when you feel depressed, from talking to other people on medicine as well as my own experiences, you think "I'm not feeling good, but I should be, because nothing is wrong" and then you go to your psychiatrist or prescribing doctor and get your levels adjusted. The whining, self-pity portion of your life, in other words, is a distant memory.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 12:09 am

therange wrote:
Ok, I was wrong. However, in other posts, Toad has echoed Ken's statements...that in his experience, medication provided fake happiness.
I'm trying to sympathize with Ken, because nobody else will.

Quote:
People here, including the moderators, seem to think I have it out for Toad and other people on the site. I just think they're wasting everyone's time, most importantly, their own, by being stagnant and inert. It took me a suicide attempt, over these same exact issues, to wake up, and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone on this site, especially given the fact that they could succeed in their attempt.
I don't think you have it out for anyone, I just think you're pushing the drug thing a little too far. You seem to think that drugs and meds are a magic end-all cure for anything.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 2:35 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
therange wrote:
I'm trying to sympathize with Ken, because nobody else will.

After you've read the same whining problems and attention seeking from him over 5 years you won't want to either. People used to, and tried to help before they just gave up and realised nothings going to help him because of his rubbish attitude and the fact he's his own worst enemy.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 5:58 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I don't think you have it out for anyone, I just think you're pushing the drug thing a little too far. You seem to think that drugs and meds are a magic end-all cure for anything.

QFT. Alot of people think the answer to everything is to take a pill and the issue will go away. All the pill does is hide the issue. The issue is still there when you come down off the pill.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 7:42 am

KenM wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

QFT. Alot of people think the answer to everything is to take a pill and the issue will go away. All the pill does is hide the issue. The issue is still there when you come down off the pill.

That is why you have to use the opportunity of less self-pity and s**t to go and fix what needs fixing. The meds, while making you potentially feel happier, even if it is fake happiness, because you are less self-defeatest in the mood, you can try different approaches to solving the real problems without having the self-defeatism preventing you from doing it.

Meds, if used, are part of the solution, not the whole thing. You should have counseling while on it as well as trying new approaches to your problems to see if you can overcome them.

You shouldnt just ignore s**t that can help you just because you know someone that shot herself because she didnt like fake happiness. Know what I think her problem was? She was taking them, but still not making an effort to fix the other problems in her life.

As for you saying people dont have sympathy for ya, I view it this way. Your closed-mindedness/stubborness about medications is what is preventing it from reaching you. Plus, remember you are dealing with other aspies here, some of us have trouble showing the whole sympathy/empathy at times. Plus to top that off, text really isnt a good medium to portray sympathy across.

But yeah, dont take that last paragraph the wrong way. I had some sleep, so I can at least explain s**t without going all rage-mode from other peoples negativity.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/