Are women's standards really this high?

Page 10 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2017, 5:52 am

boundless optimism = naivety of the horrors of the world.
boundless misanthropy = naivety of the joys of the world.

As someone with major depressive disorder, let me tell you, misanthropy is boring.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 6:33 am

Outrider wrote:
So many young people are very optimistic and idealist, thinking they can change the world.
Are you trying to say they're lefty SJWs?

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 6:45 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Outrider wrote:
So many young people are very optimistic and idealist, thinking they can change the world.
And why not be optimistic idealistic. That kind of thinking causes people to strive as they believe it is possible to create change and try to make things better.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 6:48 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
what's the farthest you've ever traveled by yourself?
When I was 14, my parents sent me by long distance motorcoach (Greyhound/Trailways) to visit relatives in Canada and see Expo67, which included a transfer in the notorious Port Authority Terminal in NYC. Approximately 12 hours of travelling. They had no idea was an idiotic idea that was.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 7:26 am

Eh, long long post, but it gets my thoughts out:

You guys seem to think misanthropy = negative.

I don't always think that's true.

It's possible to put a positive twist on misanthropy.

Humanity becomes something more of a laughing stock to you, a complete joke, and life becomes far less serious.

If everything you'll ever do or say doesn't matter, never did, never will, then why not do whatever the heck you want?

This doesn't mean you should be a criminal though.

I'm sure plenty of criminals are misanthropes and hate humanity, but that's the most negative path a misanthrope can go down.

Instead, if you're going to be a misanthrope and nihilist it best be you take the 'positive' route - you dislike and hate humanity and believe life has no meaning, so you feel much more free from society and societal expectations, because what others think of you doesn't matter anymore, and because you're a nihilist you don't really care about having an impact or footprint on the world or history.

Also, it's possible to hate humanity without thinking about it too much. I don't think about it much at all, it's just I get reminded I hate people from time-to-time, otherwise I go about living my life and don't try to make other's lives miserable.

You don't feel as pressured to have a successful career or be innovative or 'change the world' because you just don't care about that.

This means you can do what you want.

Just have fun, enjoy life, do what you want for you.

Shahunshah wrote:
Many young people can change the world in ways I don't think you realize.

It's not so much they can't, it's that change is slow and gradual and I think a lot of young people believe the world changes much faster than they realize; whatever positive change they wish to bring to the world, they probably wouldn't see in their lifetime, nor would their grandchildren likely either.

Besides, in my humble opinion, human history goes in patterns.

Things are better in some centuries, than worse another.

This is definitely one of the 'better' times in human history but I don't think it will last and we will soon be on the backpedal.

I think it's silly that some young people today think this is the greatest time to be alive.

There are all sorts of problems in the world.

Many ancient and modern human tribes have been found to have had egalitarian structures.

Many modern surviving human tribes in Africa and other nations have impressive levels of gender equality, LGBT acceptance, no racism, etc. and these sort of ideals have existed within these tribes for thousands of years.

Homosexuality was considered perfectly acceptable in Ancient Greece and Rome, but then considered unacceptable for a few hundred years after the Roman empire fell.

Just like in ancient greece and rome, racism was almost non-existent, people of any skin color or ethnic background could be slave owners, slaves, merchants, soldiers, workers, etc. and one roman emperor i suspected to have been part black.

Ancient greece and rome still had sexism though, and slavery.

Then several centuries later slavery was very common during the American colonial area in the 1600-1800s, homoseuality and transsexuality were not accepted in civilized society. Homosexuality and transsexuality were considered perfectly okay in Native American tribes in the 1600-1800s, pirates of the 1600s accepted homosexuality and there were even mention of gay marriages, pirates were close to gender equality as women could be pirates to and had equal opportunity, etc. But some levels of racism existed even in piracy as well, even if pirates never kept slaves (though they did sometimes force captured soldiers to be a part of their crew, or die).

See what I mean?

Shahunshah wrote:
By participating in activism, changing the values of society they can create real change in the world. Why should we shy away from that?

Some people just aren't interested.

In fact I'd wager most aren't.

This is one of the things that made me hate humanity in the first place.

I still care about changing the world myself in my own actions, but already think it'll probably be pointless, but I do it anyway for the hope in my heart that things get better.

I guess other young people think this too, but many seem to think change can happen quickly through collective hardwork and we can see great change for the better in just a few generations when I think it's more complicated than that.

Basically I want to do my part, but still think it's pointless anyway.

I donate occasionally, volunteer and care for environmentalism and might someday join a group for it. I care about Indigenous Australian rights.

I guess it would be great to see massive positive change in my lifetime or at least a better future if I had kids and grandchildren but I'm not holding my breath.

Shahunshah wrote:
what's honestly the point in being a nihilist. If I was in medieval Europe I would have been but then something changed, Humanity ticked. We started judging others less, we supported those who were downtrodden and we made society a better place.

The point?

There's not really supposed to be a point to nihilism. :P

But really, it's just a belief you develop, a life philosophy. I think people rarely choose their life philosophies and how they approach living in this world, our environment is a big factor that influences how we think and feel but we still have freedom of choice to choose what we believe in.

Anyway as I said generally things have always varied across history, culture and places.

Living in the nice countries like Australia, America etc. might be alright but probably more than 50% of the world is still very horrible and still as bad as the medieval ages.

Most of Africa, Asia, Much of South America, etc.

Gay marriage may be becoming legalized in many countries, but there's many where homosexuality is punished by death. There are still countries where people are stoned to death just like thousands of years ago. Slavery still exists, sexism, racism, poverty, etc.

It's existed now, it existed then, it probably always will, human nature and all.

When it comes to wealth, yeah, most of history a small few were lucky to live decent while everyone else lived poorly, and yeah, for a time the middle class of Australia, Europe, America etc. was and still is living well.

But it's kind of been on the downward spiral. There's a lot of evidence to suggest the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer, and what with inflation, over-priced university degrees, over-priced housing, under-paying jobs and lack of jobs to go round the economy is going to crap.

Things aren't too good in the U.S. right now I hear.

P.S., the change from medieval ages change were slow...

The middle ages are considered about 5th century to 15th century - a millenium!

The colonial times, full of slavery and sexism and no acceptance for LGBT, was at least 15th-19th century.

Greenleaf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jan 2017, 8:45 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
I don't think I would base my opinion of what women want on young, liberal, feminist yuppies.

I mean, OK, yes, there are a lot of them. But they are not the entirety, or in my opinion the best, of the female population.

This insults liberalism and feminism, not to mention young people. That's very rude to a lot of us, and not directly connected to the OP's question.

"Yuppy" has always been a pejorative word, so no comment there, though her focus on passports etc. does imply some wealth.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 5:13 pm

Outrider wrote:
Also, it's possible to hate humanity without thinking about it too much. I don't think about it much at all, it's just I get reminded I hate people from time-to-time, otherwise I go about living my life and don't try to make other's lives miserable.

You don't feel as pressured to have a successful career or be innovative or 'change the world' because you just don't care about that.

This means you can do what you want.

Just have fun, enjoy life, do what you want for you.

i see what you mean. i associated negative qualities with "misanthropy" because that word DOES have a negative connotation. but it always benefits to see through mere connotations and pick apart at the original meaning.

i don't see "humanity" as one single monolith that acts as a group. may aliens invade, perhaps if would benefit us if that did become true, but for now i just see us as groups of individuals.

that is a good way to live, and props to you for discovering it. it's just that i've been met other people who said they hated humanity, and they were a chore to be around.

Outrider wrote:
It's not so much they can't, it's that change is slow and gradual and I think a lot of young people believe the world changes much faster than they realize; whatever positive change they wish to bring to the world, they probably wouldn't see in their lifetime, nor would their grandchildren likely either.

Besides, in my humble opinion, human history goes in patterns.

Things are better in some centuries, than worse another.

This is definitely one of the 'better' times in human history but I don't think it will last and we will soon be on the backpedal.

I think it's silly that some young people today think this is the greatest time to be alive.

There are all sorts of problems in the world.

Many ancient and modern human tribes have been found to have had egalitarian structures.

Many modern surviving human tribes in Africa and other nations have impressive levels of gender equality, LGBT acceptance, no racism, etc. and these sort of ideals have existed within these tribes for thousands of years.

Homosexuality was considered perfectly acceptable in Ancient Greece and Rome, but then considered unacceptable for a few hundred years after the Roman empire fell.

Just like in ancient greece and rome, racism was almost non-existent, people of any skin color or ethnic background could be slave owners, slaves, merchants, soldiers, workers, etc. and one roman emperor i suspected to have been part black.

humans have been around for over 200,000 years, "civilization" as we know it (developing alongside agriculture) has only been around for the last 10,000. i do think it is silly to believe any one time can be THE unequivocal "best" for all people as a whole, because labeling it as such tends to ignore a lot of plight.

that being said, i do believe this is one of the most interesting times for many people in most places. wealth inequality aside, which is likely one of the downsides to this worldwide embrace of capitalism, the internet and wide availability of information has made people able to equalize themselves in terms of knowledge and global awareness. no longer is there an excuse for unwilling ignorance in the face of this, but i can respect those who isolate intentionally.

we have advanced to the point where we can destroy ourselves and most of the planets biodiversity on a whim, which SUCKS, but it puts greater pressure on societies and nations to get along with each other as a result.

change IS slow and gradual, but in the west at least, the change in how homosexuality, race and "outsiders" in general HAS improved greatly since the WW2 years, and that was just a few generations ago too.

the difference between medieval times and modern societies still "stuck in medieval times" is that now the opportunity to change is THERE. the knowledge is there, it's their choice if they want to change or not.

on that note, probably the people who DON'T feel like these are such great times would include those whose native culture is being encroached by the west. and we should be aware of that too.

ancient greece and rome had pederasty too. i don't know if we can just pick and choose when considering those civilizations.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 5:57 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Outrider wrote:
And why not be optimistic idealistic. That kind of thinking causes people to strive as they believe it is possible to create change and try to make things better.
That's a good point. Girls love it when guys are optimistic. You don't have to be left wing or SJW, just be happy and positive. Girls love guys like that.
Outrider wrote:
It's possible to put a positive twist on misanthropy.

Humanity becomes something more of a laughing stock to you, a complete joke, and life becomes far less serious.
Fine, fine but at least try to be positive about yourself.
Shahunshah wrote:
By participating in activism, changing the values of society they can create real change in the world. Why should we shy away from that?
Activism will change the world. I have no doubt about that.

I don't know whether it will change the world for better or worse. When the peasant class uses activism to impose mob rule on the world, they're often meddling with things they don't understand.

One example is environmentalism. Environmentalists do more harm to the environment than any other group of people. They shut down emissions free nuclear power plants and then they're replaced by coal nuclear power plants. They try to ban genetically engineered crops that require less land to be cleared (also millions of deaths from malnutrition in third world countries could be prevented by genetically engineered crops but environmentalists don't value the lives of starving African kids (the left wing is quite racist after all)).
Outrider wrote:
The ancient Egyptians lived further back and they weren't that sexist. Society changes. Change is a constant. Society can just easily change for the better or change for the worse. Will the future be better worse? Flip a coin.

That's not misanthropy, that cynicism. A cynic would say humanity does bad things to itself but only a misanthrope would say everyone deserves it. Young women hate misanthropy but they love cynicism.

Quote from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality - chapter 65
Quote:
Why does any kind of cynicism appeal to people? Because it seems like a mark of maturity, of sophistication, like you've seen everything and know better.

kyria_gold
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

Yes western women in particular have extremely high standards. Having high standards isn't always a good thing though, that's why so many of them are ending up childless and alone in their 30s.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 7:11 pm

kyria_gold wrote:
Yes western women in particular have extremely high standards. Having high standards isn't always a good thing though, that's why so many of them are ending up childless and alone in their 30s.
True but there are also downsides.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 7:15 pm

kyria_gold wrote:

Would it surprise you though, to find that many women who are single and childless actually want to be single and childless? Studies have shown that married men live longer than unmarried men while married women die sooner than unmarried women--this would seem to signify that marriage is not healthy for women, or not as healthy as staying single is. I wonder why that might be... :scratch:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 7:39 pm

Yes but parenthood is more unhealthy than either of those.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2017, 5:25 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-05-12/25-types-of-men-im-absolutely-tired-of-at-25/

After reading this article I felt kind of devastated. I don't blame women for having standards but apparently I don't meet them.

I'm not very good at cooking and I fail especially hard at number 11.

Yes I'm in my late twenties and yes I don't have a passport. Does this make me immature for my age?

On dating profiles I've read a lot of girls who talk about their vacations in Asia, Europe and America. They say they want a guy who can go on more vacations with them.

The reason why I'm not willing to hop on a plane and GO at a moments notice is because I just can't afford it!

If I was dating a girl and on short notice she proposed two weeks travelling across Europe, the combined cost of my airfare, accommodation, travel insurance and train tickets for Europe's high speed rail network would be thousands of dollars.

Also I couldn't get two weeks leave from work at short notice and she did say she wanted to date a guy with a career.

I know the author of this article does not represent all women and not all women are the same but does she represent the typical woman?

If so, I'm worried that I'm below par. Honestly I'm a little immature for my age. I've only had a serious job for 2 years, I've only lived out of home for 3 years, I don't have a university degree (unlike the author of this article), I haven't travelled overseas (unlike the author of this article) and I don't have a large amount of dating experience (unlike the author of this article).

Remember, that while I'm 29, the author is 25. She's 4 years younger yet she seems to have much more life experience than me.

So if I went on a first date with a similar girl, a few years younger than me, who had a university degree, had travelled to Europe and Asia and had accumulated a large amount of dating experience over the last decade, would she see me as inadequate?

I didn't read the whole thing. I would never see not having a passport as a negative lol. What the hell?. At least I'd know the guy I'm seeing isn't an international hitman :lol:

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

She's an SJW c....u.....you know the rest. Avoid women like her. Omg, I met the perfect man but he went with another woman. Yeah, he went with a woman that isn't a cu...

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 6:24 pm

wilburforce wrote:
kyria_gold wrote:

Would it surprise you though, to find that many women who are single and childless actually want to be single and childless? Studies have shown that married men live longer than unmarried men while married women die sooner than unmarried women--this would seem to signify that marriage is not healthy for women, or not as healthy as staying single is. I wonder why that might be... :scratch:

Well that sure sucks, doesn't it?

Not only does that suck for married women, but for single men as well.Men who are happier being married than being single can't choose to be married if women reject him, but women who are happier being single can choose to be single.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 6:29 pm

Outrider wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
kyria_gold wrote:

Well that sure sucks, doesn't it?

Men who are happier being married than being single can't choose to be married if women reject him, but women who are happier being single can choose to be single.

Yes, it's very unfortunate that men can't force women to marry them against their will anymore and women can choose to be free of domestic slavery if they want to. Progress towards gender equality really sucks for you guys, huh? Here's a cup for you to cry into about it:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)