Treating women as objects: What does this mean?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LisadieUberfrau
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2009, 1:49 pm

Okay, you've asked a subjective question that is very generalized, because in order to answer properly, we have to know more about an individual. But... let me see if I can offer something new here.

How an individual is first 'attracted' to another, and their subsequent treatment of them afterward, is all very personal.

Being attracted to someone's body is not necessarily seeing them as an 'object', unless that is ALL YOU SEE. AND that is ALL YOU WANT.

Example: for myself... I may be initially attracted to a man by something exterior I see, such as he's tall or handsome. Maybe I was attracted to his butt or maybe we just had a nice conversation and I felt a 'spark'. It has to be MORE than just the outwardly appearance for me. It's all about this 'feeling' that spawns inside of me, along with my brain knowing what may be a deal breaker (like he spends weekends camping and I detest camping = not the guy for me). Either the attraction is there or it's not, and it is NEVER based on looks alone. The end result I am hoping for is a long-lasting, "grow-old together, then die together" kind of relationship with that person.

My relationship with others is based on INTIMACY. Now, DO NOT CONFUSE INTIMACY WITH SEX. Sex can be a big part of intimacy but yet it's still only a smart part of the whole of intimacy. You can have people in your life that are only friends, male or female, that you SHARE so much with, that your intimacy level with that person is very high. My fiance and I, as well as all my girlfriends, SHARE so much of ourselves with one another that our intimacy level is very high. We know intimate details of each other lives and personalities, and share new ones continuously keeping our relationships strong. That is why I've maintained long-lasting friendships. My oldest girlfriend BFF and I met over 20 years ago. SHARING thoughts, feelings, ideas, hobbies, etc. is how people continue to GROW together over their many years together, instead of growing apart.

Most women, and some men I know, want and need intimacy in their relationships, and that includes TALKING AND LISTENING (which some do men hate by the way.) If a woman is saying that you treat her like an object, maybe it's because YOU DO NOT SHARE your thoughts or feelings with her. Maybe it's because you do not act interested in her own thoughts or feelings, or act indifferent to her family, job, friends, etc. Or maybe it's because you act really "into her" when you're having sex and then act indifferent to her the rest of the time. THAT, in a nutshell, is an easy description of using or treating someone as an object. The truth is that if you are unable to CONNECT with a woman on an intimate level, then a relationship may not be the best thing for you.

Keep in mind, that as an aspie, intimacy was very difficult for me to grasp. But, I WORKED HARD to achieve it. I had to change myself. I had to open myself up and SHARE with others. I found that they shared with me too, WITHOUT JUDGING ME. Then, I finally got what I wanted... CONNECTION - INTIMACY WITH OTHERS. It took a long time, but I am now "connected" to people in ways that I never felt I could.

Questions one might ask themselves are:

Do I WANT to get married, have kids, grow old together with a partner?

Do I WANT to have a best friend, great sex, sharing of intimacy?

Do I WANT someone who maintains my household - washes my dishes, washes my underwear, mows the yard?

Do I WANT ALL of those things?

Do I WANT NONE of those things?

If you want all of those things, then a long-lasting intimate relationship is what you desire.

If you want none of those things, then maybe celibacy, one-night stands or swinging is what you really want.

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 5:37 pm

Thank you so much for your in-depth response, Lisadie, and welcome to the forum. :)

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

LisadieUberfrau
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2009, 6:28 pm

Thanks and hope I helped :)

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 11:52 pm

As far as I can tell, objectifying women can be done by word or action. Objectifying women by word is basically saying something about women as a whole. Making a generalization about women which could be interpreted as treating all of womanhood as an object. For example: there is a song by Dr. Dre with the line "b*****s ain't s**t but hoes and tricks." Not many would argue that isn't a line that objectifies women assuming you imply that he is not talking about dogs.

Objectifying women by action as far as I can tell is acting like a woman is a possession. Examples: a man marries a woman as a "trophy wife" because of her looks for the purpose of being seen with her to prove something to others. Or without marriage, Hugh Hefner comes to mind. Basically parading a woman around like you're six years old and have a new toy that no one else has so you show it to everyone else to make them jealous, expect the toy is a woman and you aren't six, just acting like it.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2009, 5:00 pm

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has put on this forum so far. I think that it is OK to think about women in a sexual manner, as long as you also understand that women are people, and to get to know them (and recognize them) as people. If ALL you're doing with a woman is thinking about her sexually and not paying attention to her emotions, wants, needs, personality, etc. then something is wrong with you :eew: But if you're paying attention to all of the more personal aspects of a woman that you want to be in a relationship with, then you're fine and you have nothing to worry about.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 5:37 pm

MikeH106 wrote:
Thank you for your responses so far.

I just want to remark that I've rejected my diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome due partly to the fact that all its DSM criteria are opinionated. I also feel somewhat on the defensive about a remark that people with AS have more trouble noticing what 'treating women like objects' amounts to. In fact, it would hurt my feelings if I were just told, "It's something you don't know how to do well."

But I hope you will continue to share your thoughts. I really want to learn more about what women like and don't like to see in men.

Edit: Made a few changes.

I just had a look at the Wikipedia article on sexual objectification. The main theme appears to be the 'separation' of the mind and personality from the body and its sex organs. What I'm curious to know is: how do you make the judgment that this separation has been attempted?

Say a woman is depicted on television in highly revealing clothing. Sure, she's on TV, and she's wearing next-to-nothing, but who's to say her mind and personality have disappeared from the scene? Can't she be herself, and be sexual at the same time?

Say I glance at a woman and notice an attractive quality, just for a few seconds. Have I treated her as an object if I look at the wrong place? If so, how have I separated the rest of her personality from her body in my decision? Even if I glance, I know all along that she has a personality -- I respect that.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just want to understand if and why any of my day-to-day actions are instances of objectification.

Here's my take on the revealing clothing part:

The objective of the revealing clothing is to highlight her "features", the problem with being AS (for me) is that I experience my emotions pretty deeply and I can't interact with a woman like that without seeming distracted by what I see. To me, it's a test, I'm supposed to take all body language cues from her facial expressions, if she guides the topic to anything below her neck, it is expected that I show appreciation. Now just because she want's a compliment doesn't mean that I have to excessively flatter. I can make a negative comment on her dress to reinforce a positive comment on her body. One thing for certian is that by listening to the content of her speech and filtering out my feelings, I actually get better results (displayed interest from her). This is a pretty extreme example, but you'd want to be objective with women until they want to know you better. It's really hard to balance the emotional content in your voice/dialogue on the spot, so it's better to have practice. Maybe just watch a movie and have a pretend conversation at first, this gets into NLP territory, but I can tell you that it's effective in the real world.

FiveEggsIn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2009, 3:22 am

I've said the line mentioned above about being replaceable with hired help. A maid, a cook, a gardener, a nanny... It isn't my personhood so much as my individuality, the part that makes me me, that I feel at those times is being ignored and unappreciated. I feel like any other person who would clean or cook or correct would be just fine with him. It is a very discouraging feeling.

I would add to the above that being objectified to me is showing no empathy or concern for the other. Showing a lack of knowledge or concern for the wants or desires or needs of the other over the wants, desires, or needs of the self.

Most women want and/or need emotional closeness. They get it in different ways. Some like gifts, some like pillow talk, some like being flattered. Whatever their wants or needs are, if the person doesn't take the time to learn them or to meet those wants or needs then the person is seen as selfish, egotistical, cold, and as objectifying the woman for his own gratification. I know women who treat men this way, too, but that's not what we're talking about so I'll stick with men. Most women who are feeling objectified and unimportant and replaceable are not going to take kindly to sexual advances. It doesn't seem that you care much at all who is there (based on the previous experience) and so a hooker would just as easily meet that need. Meaning a woman who then has a sexual relationship when feeling like that feels like she's being used as a prostitute. Most women have a huge problem with this and do not want to feel that way.

I'm not making a value judgment on if you are objectifying women, but if women are complaining about it then what you can do to help them not feel that you are is to show interest in their individuality. Make it clear that you aren't enamored with the role they play in your life, but in them as unique individuals. Send news or online links that might interest them based on what they talk about. Tell her that you love the way her nose comes to such a cute little point. Complement her funky clothes. Offer to go to a restaurant you know she will like. Sit down and attentively listen when she wants to talk about her day and offer comments (not solutions!) like, "That was mean of him!" "You're so patient. I wouldn't have lasted nearly as long." "They're so lucky to have you." "That must have been really boring." Find out her love language, or her wants and needs, and voluntarily offer her what she wants and needs without her needing to ask (being careful to choose a woman whose needs don't exceed your capabilities for fulfilling them). Then she'll feel important as an individual to you and not only for the role she plays and she won't feel objectified or used. In the mean time, she'll be working to meet your wants and needs in the same way. You get what you want and need, plus you get a happy woman. Totally worth the effort.

Kate1135
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2009, 2:41 pm

The reason women tend to view with disgust men who leer at them and stare at their boobs or whatever, is because of biology and ancestral traits. The reason men do not do the same (complain, I mean) if a women leers at him, is also because, largely of this.

In the caveman days, men did not settle down. They went round with their giant balls, trying to knock up every female that came their way. This is because of the masses and masses of testosterone that flowed (and still flows) around men's bodies. Basically the male body is wired to look for in women signs of fertility;
Big boobs (For breastfeeding)
Small waists (Protecting the reproductive organs - less fat less crushing)
And in some cases, large posteriors...although the exact reasoning is unknown.
This is why men leer.

Women, on the other hand were left alone in the cave with the baby. Sure the man will stick around until the baby is old enough to walk, but he is still banging other cavewomen all the while. This is why women look for big strong, protective men with (and this more subconciously) big balls and spatial skills to hunt and to protect her and her baby.

Nowadays, monotony rules. Women love this. It means a big strong man will be around her cave to protect her for always. Men on the other hand, have the wrong end of a very narrow stick. Monotony for them means his species may not survive as only one women is being knocked up.

Back to the OPs point. A woman, with her primal instincts, hate men who look like they will lure her into a bed and then run off. Who will protect her from the cold world? She doesn't have the testes driving her. The man is viewed as disgusting by her and the cold world.

Basically. Stare all you like. But for a few seconds and in the right places.
Have sex all you want. But if you run off, the woman's feelings are likely to get hurt.
And if you are in a relationship, view her as a personality rather than a body. And if she says 'get off, I'm tired', then get the hell off.

Phhhhheeeeew. :D

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 9:11 pm

That's pretty good advice, I wish I'd known that eariler.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 3:34 pm

Peko wrote:
Its OK to recognize an attractive quality in a person (woman, man or other). But the way you can tell if you are treating the person as an "object" would be what you focus on when you get to know her. If all you focus on or like is her body (or just certain parts of it) or what she can do for you (sexually, household work, providing money, etc.) than you have a problem. A single glance and recognizing an attractive quality is just human nature (for the sexual I would assume). As long as you can see who she is and like her personality, and have that (her personality, dreams, etc.) be the most important thing, than I think you are fine.

Good question (I wish more men/teenage guys would ask that) ! :D

I think about the problem of female objectification to myself a lot. Thinking about it makes me feel bad for all the women who are only seen for pleasure, and it makes me wish society would stop portraying women like that, and that men and women would be treated equally. This coming from the mouth of a 16 year old, I honestly wish that this issue would be talked about more, but I don't if people here on WrongPlanet would want to talk about it or not. :/

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 17, 2017)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 3:45 pm

Quote:
"Treating women as objects,

public class Woman
{
public string Name { get; set; }
public int Age { get; set; }
public Woman(string name, int age)
{
Name = name;
Age = age;
}
}

Here, this is the proper way to objectify a woman.

namesalltaken

17 Sep 2017, 3:59 pm

In a single word, dehumanization.
Def.n transitive verb. :to deprive of human qualities, personality, or spirit.

Last edited by namesalltaken on 17 Sep 2017, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

namesalltaken

17 Sep 2017, 4:47 pm

Kate1135 wrote:
In the caveman days

Study a hunter-gatherer culture, you will find it full of restrictions, rules (whom you could marry and when, who could eat what parts of an animal, how you should treat and relate to people, observance of religious rituals etc.) and taboo. Break the rules, you could be killed, exiled (as good as dead, unless you convince a different group to take you in), or punished somehow. Some of the rules were necessary for survival (for example how to treat certain plants to remove poison), others less so.

Modern society has jail (exile), fines and sanctions (for other punishment), and in some countries, the death penalty. Humanity hasn't changed all that much, and the pre-historic "free caveman" is as much a myth as Adam and Eve. It perhaps bears pointing out that people rarely, if ever, lived in caves.

Also: a link for the origin of a few "caveman" myths http://www.ancientcraft.co.uk/fun/misc.html

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 6:31 pm

Holy gravedigging.

As soon as women stop treating men as wallets or tools, that's when I'll consider the argument of sexual objectification to have any real value. And don't give me bs about a guy needing to be a provider or the same amount as you. Either way, it has always been a transaction.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 6:53 pm

Here, virtue requires virtue signaling. People want to know that you value them, and respond well to sincere admiration. Objectifying a person means using their output without either of the above. Sacrificing other options in favor of the well-being of the person and expressing appreciation both happen naturally when people treat others as real people, regular people.

To take an extreme case, consider the pimp. The person depicted in the movie Hustle and Flow exists to a limited extent in reality. However, overwhelmingly more pimps exploit women mercilessly, and treat them as worthless and categorically unworthy of respect. See the documentary Pimps Up Hos Down.

People get into all kinds of situations, so appearances may deceive. If I don't see reasonable sacrifices made and hear accurate praise, then there's a problem. Often, that problem is objectification. See the way some people relate to their parents.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2017, 10:19 pm

I don't worry about objectifying women because they can't read my mind.