5 Hobbies that don't impress men

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm

Well I guess I'm safe, I don't have any of those hobbies!
(I mean I can cook but I don't go on and on about it)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 12:11 am

I can understand some of those being boring as their gender-isms (like Junk Yard Wars or Future Weapons for us) but cooking? I have to respect a girl who knows how to do that, especially these days.

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 1:05 am

You people who look down on knitting clearly have no idea what it does to your manual dexterity.

Screw you all for not being impressed by my hobby. :roll:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 2:45 am

I've actually found the opposite with cooking, most men seem to appreicate a good and tasty meal. There really isn't an excuse for your average person to not know how to cook. It doesn't have to be impressive, but I think not knowing how to cook is unimpressive.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 3:50 am

missionary position is better than no position.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm

menintights wrote:
You people who look down on knitting clearly have no idea what it does to your manual dexterity.

My dad always mentioned that a lot of professional (American) football players liked to knit and that it helped their hand-eye reflexes.....or maybe they just liked to knit and were fishing for an excuse to keep their man-card in tact ;).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 12:16 pm

Cooking well does impress me because it became a rarity.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2010, 2:37 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I have to respect a girl who knows how to do that, especially these days.

Amen to that!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 4:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
menintights wrote:

My dad always mentioned that a lot of professional (American) football players liked to knit and that it helped their hand-eye reflexes.....or maybe they just liked to knit and were fishing for an excuse to keep their man-card in tact ;).

lots of football players also learn ballet to help them with their balance, dexterity, and flexibility. seriously.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:05 pm

menintights wrote:

I like knitting too :lol:

And BTW, hubby is very impressed with it - he's like how on earth do you manage to do that out of two sticks and a string :P

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:13 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
menintights wrote:

I like knitting too :lol:

And BTW, hubby is very impressed with it - he's like how on earth do you manage to do that out of two sticks and a string :P

there seems to be a well-established tradition of knitting and crocheting complex geometric shapes so that they can be properly visualized (like mobius strips etc.). are you familiar with this stuff?

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... -knit.html

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:27 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
there seems to be a well-established tradition of knitting and crocheting complex geometric shapes so that they can be properly visualized (like mobius strips etc.). are you familiar with this stuff?

http://www.livescience.com/technology/0 ... -knit.html

Wow, cool link! I used to love geometry as a kid.

I always design and calculate my own patterns and actually that's how I started - it's very hard to buy stuff when you know exactly what you're looking for, to the last detail.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:58 pm

1. Cooking - My girlfriend and I are both excellent cooks and it is more fun than spending money at a restaurant.
2. Gossiping - Not cool at all!
3. Knitting - No opinion either way.
4. Watching chick flicks - Don't care for them either.
5. The missionary position - Just one of many.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 6:07 pm

man....that position surely hurts.....

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 6:49 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

man....that position surely hurts.....

One in the pink two in the stink

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 7:39 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
1. Cooking - Men would much rather go out to dinner if they have the money, if they don't most know how to use a microwave and maybe an oven

Speak for yourself. Some men are just delighted by this hobby. When I met my husband he thought it was great that I could cook. My cooking didn't stop us from going out to restaurants. But it did mean we could have romantic dinners at my apartment that didn't involve takeout. It is possible that men who want a long term relationship are more likely to find cooking a desirable hobby in a woman because that's the cooking they will be potentially eating for the rest of their lives. So if you have no intention of getting married there's no reason for you to see it as a desirable hobby. (Although there could just as easily be committed bachelors who nonetheless are delighted when a woman cooks.) But cooking, unlike gossipping, is a hobby where I don't think you can accurately make a generalization about what other men like.