Rejected by eHarmony dating site? (Poll)

Page 2 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Were you rejected by eHarmony?
I never applied to eHarmony 56%  56%  [ 50 ]
Yes, they rejected me 21%  21%  [ 19 ]
No, they accepted me 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 89

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 11:43 pm

This is, among other things, a lawsuit waiting to happen. Someone eventually WILL figure out how it works, and if that tends to exclude any particular group, the lawyers will be racing to the courthouse. Whether it's people with autism in particular, mental illness in general, or an ethnic minority, the judge won't have to deliberate for 10 minutes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 12:22 am

My problem with Eharmony - I have something like 1,250 matches on database over the last few years and less than 5%, maybe closer to 1% I even feel akin to enough to contact. If that's the best they can dial in from a personality profile I'm a little dissapointed. They advertise it as a place where you don't have to 'chum the waters' - hasn't been my experience. The more girls I have added as matches who have football jerseys on and black paint under the eyes at a bar with sports plastered all over their profile the more I think they just tabulate your questionnaire results, inform you about yourself, and hook you up with pretty much whoever they think you'd be able to sit in the same room with for an hour.

HopefulRomantic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2010, 7:29 pm

[quote="Grisha"]It's just like dating, this one didn't work out.

NEXT!...

Try OK Cupid (it's free) and for some reason I've had pretty good luck with Match.com (probably because of the volume)

Also, don't just post a profile and wait for the metaphorical phone to ring, you have to work it, especially if you're a guy..

Greg[/quote

[b]

Good positive attitude!

HopefulRomantic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2010, 7:33 pm

fluffypinkyellow wrote:
It's just one site. They're not saying you're unworthy of love and happiness, they're just saying that that particular site is not suitable for you. It's so easy to take these things personally.

I agree! Don't let one bad experience get you down and discourage you from dating!

HopefulRomantic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2010, 7:34 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i remember reading that eHarmony commonly rejects atheists, homosexual people, and anyone who has a potentially problematic personality to match because it is a rare combination of traits. according to eHarmonyblog.com (link here), these are some common reasons for rejection (although i don't know how scientific their results are):

Quote:
Reason #1. You said you are separated or married on page 1. 30% of eHarmony rejects fall into this category, according to a May 2007 article in the Washington Post.

Reason #2. You said you are below 20 on page 1. 27% percent fall into this category.

Reason #3. You said you were married more than twice on page 1.1 “EHarmony also rejects anyone younger than 60 who’s been married more than four times,” according to the Washington Post article.

Reason #4. Your answers don’t tally, i.e., (a) you clicked randomly or (b) for example, you put “1″ under Aloof on page 1, but checked “Outgoing” on page 6. 9% of rejects fall into this category.

Reason #5. You scored low on the following traits — eHarmony calls them dimensions:

* Self-Concept (how you perceive yourself)
* Emotional Status (feeling happy, fulfilled and hopeful)
* Character (honesty and trustworthiness)
* Obstreperousness (the black hole dimension)
* Character (honesty and trustworthiness)2
* Emotion Management: Anger (expressing negative emotions constructively)
* Conflict Resolution (resolving issues).
* Family Background (happy childhood and supportiveness of your parents)

the blog authors also note:

Quote:
The cursed test still lets you go through all questions even if it knows on page 1 that it will reject you. And, look, it even has the irony to say, “If we find that we will not be able to match a user using these profiles, we feel it is only fair to inform them early in the process.”

As always, I like your posts!

HopefulRomantic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2010, 7:41 pm

I am an extroverted (very) NT woman. About a year ago, I signed up for EHarmony. I didn't like their matching system. They matched me with men who were utterly incompatible with me. I was a member for less than a month and I cancelled.

I know what I want and don't want in a viable romantic match! I prefer dating sites that allow you to pick your matches. EHarmony has an incredibly tedious matching process that is unproductive. For me it was an utter waste of time and money!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 8:42 pm

HopefulRomantic wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
blahblahblah stats

As always, I like your posts!

thank you! i speak statistics and studies better than i speak human.

Last edited by hyperlexian on 12 Dec 2010, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:18 pm

fluffypinkyellow wrote:
It's just one site. They're not saying you're unworthy of love and happiness, they're just saying that that particular site is not suitable for you. It's so easy to take these things personally.

It's a rejection... how am I not supposed to take it personally? I'm incompatible with the world, it seems...

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 3:21 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
My problem with Eharmony - I have something like 1,250 matches on database over the last few years and less than 5%, maybe closer to 1% I even feel akin to enough to contact. If that's the best they can dial in from a personality profile I'm a little dissapointed. They advertise it as a place where you don't have to 'chum the waters' - hasn't been my experience. The more girls I have added as matches who have football jerseys on and black paint under the eyes at a bar with sports plastered all over their profile the more I think they just tabulate your questionnaire results, inform you about yourself, and hook you up with pretty much whoever they think you'd be able to sit in the same room with for an hour.

I agree. I gave up at 600.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 6:15 am

Merle wrote:
I agree. I gave up at 600.

The reason I stay - they renew me at $20 a month without committing for the year, seemingly ad infinitum. Lol, that cheap I don't mind it for now. But yeah, its kind of sad that I can look at so many of my matches and wonder why they're putting me with these people.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 3:05 pm

Don't waste your time with e-Harmony. Not only are they going to reject hard matches, and aspies could be a hard match, but most of the profiles on there are non-paying members. Since they don't distinguish between who's a paying member and who isn't, you have no idea if a potential match is able to reply, in which case they would have to pull out their credit card to do so.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 5:17 pm

Seriously why bother with that site (or any paid site). Okcupid has a better matching algorythym and is significantly more open to personal quirks. eHarmony (and paid sites) are awful and best avoided.

(Seriously I met my boyfriend on OKcupid. I don't know why people even bother with the other sites.)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 5:27 pm

The only up I'll give it, maybe in the past few months, I'm starting to see more successful and cute geeks on there rather than it be all sports (no diss to the jocks - just nothing in common) or seven out of ten interests being their kids (no diss to the dedicated moms either but, again, nothing in common).

starygrrl wrote:
Seriously why bother with that site (or any paid site). Okcupid has a better matching algorythym and is significantly more open to personal quirks. eHarmony (and paid sites) are awful and best avoided.

(Seriously I met my boyfriend on OKcupid. I don't know why people even bother with the other sites.)

That did get my attention. I think I'll need to try it one of these days soon, maybe even next week, to see what kind of difference I notice in that matches they're willing to throw at me. If its significantly more accurate than Eharmony I may just cut them off.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 6:29 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think their model is to take the easiest matches and drop the even slightly difficult ones, in order to keep their "80% successful" (or whatever it is) reputation going.

So, I wouldn't take eHarmony's philosophy as God's Will or fate or whatever. It's just their ethos (and business model) to focus on the 'super-normal' people and not on others. (Personally, I don't think I could manage with someone who doesn't have a least a few hardships in common with me, anyway.)

I remember seeing once site set up specifically for "eHarmony rejects" to gripe about eHarmony. Some people even re-signed up with fake names and tried to figure out which answers to which questions would eliminate a person (like does being an atheist automatically cause rejection?). I can't remember the details, but I remember it was kind of interesting.

my thoughts exactly

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:43 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The only up I'll give it, maybe in the past few months, I'm starting to see more successful and cute geeks on there rather than it be all sports (no diss to the jocks - just nothing in common) or seven out of ten interests being their kids (no diss to the dedicated moms either but, again, nothing in common).

starygrrl wrote:

That did get my attention. I think I'll need to try it one of these days soon, maybe even next week, to see what kind of difference I notice in that matches they're willing to throw at me. If its significantly more accurate than Eharmony I may just cut them off.

For one there is significantly more questions. The questions are user generated, and range from sexual appetite to politics and philosophy. The truth is to get the OKcupid system to work for you, you have to answer at least 100 questions, and to be honest, the best results are often in the 300-500 range, if not more (there are thousands of questions). Honestly, most people I know who take the time to use OKcupid love the system compared to others. The regular users take match %s very seriously, I will not even talk to a person if they are not above 70%, and to be honest, I often look for folks in the 90%+ range.

How well does it work for me. Let me see, me and my boyfriend at 95% share alot of the same interests, we work in similiar fields (I do strategic planning and policy for IT, he is a programmer), and we don't really argue. I have been matched with other people on the spectrum, as well as those who have very similiar backgrounds (same birth city, same career, same education, same preference for the future, etc). It works REALLY well if you have the patience for it. Yes crafting your profile is also important, but this is a system primarily heavily used by smart people to find other smart people who take the time to answer the questions and believe in highly percise algorithm matching (eHarmony is extremely clumsy and generalized in comparison).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:39 pm

starygrrl wrote:
For one there is significantly more questions. The questions are user generated, and range from sexual appetite to politics and philosophy. The truth is to get the OKcupid system to work for you, you have to answer at least 100 questions, and to be honest, the best results are often in the 300-500 range, if not more (there are thousands of questions). Honestly, most people I know who take the time to use OKcupid love the system compared to others. The regular users take match %s very seriously, I will not even talk to a person if they are not above 70%, and to be honest, I often look for folks in the 90%+ range.

That's cool, so really the quality of the matches it spits back really has to do with how much due diligence I put in with the questions. If it is that helpful I'll gladly answer 500, 700, whatever I think it needs.