Oooh shiny! Also, Megz and Nick007 LDR thread

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

myth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

I just can't believe how many people here are more similar to myself than anyone I've ever met irl. I've already expressed that I relate to your guys' story and then of all the jewelry on the internet, you pick my exact ring :P amazing.

Hm, I don't recall whether my version of that ring had a diamond or a white sapphire. If I recall correctly, it comes with a diamond but you can get it with a sapphire instead to save like $30 or something? I'm pretty sure we went ahead and just got the one with the diamond... but I could be wrong haha. I remember discussing this with him and I wanted to save money and I think he wanted to just go ahead and get the real one and I don't 100% remember the outcome.

My ring that I have now is CZ. I think that there is little difference between CZ and diamond, CZ is just diamonds made in a lab, right? They should be almost as hard. They are just cheaper because they aren't rare like natural diamonds. I've heard they can also sparkle even more than natural because they can be created without flaws that commonly occur in natural ones. I'd recomend a CZ for you because I'm more economical than stylish (personally) and I don't care if its "real" diamond or not. I just read on wikipedia that CZ is 8 on the hardness scale vrs 10 for diamond. So they're still pretty hard.

But yeah the rainbow black ti ring comes with a small, but real, diamond for $300, can't really go wrong with that :)

Nothing is absolute.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:05 pm

CZ are not diamonds. They are cubic zirconia (ZrO2), a different mineral altogether. There are artificially-made diamonds, too. They're separate things.

These were our wedding rings, in the "H" color scheme. I still have them, not sure what to do with them. Can't really melt them down into something else!

http://www.georgesawyer.com/faq.asp?DocID=95

Oh, and congratulations Megz and Nick007! Truly an inspiration for us all!

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:21 pm

that is nice

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:30 pm

The white sapphire version (1st link) is about $125 less, so it's a pretty significant difference. White sapphire is a 9 on the Mohs scale. That's pretty good. I'm just worried my clumsy self will chip it somehow, but I guess if I'm doing something damaging enough to chip sapphire, I should probably be more concerned about the welfare of my finger :lol:

Those are pretty rings mv. And thanks :D

mv
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:35 pm

You're welcome! Remember, you can always get something fixed or replaced if you do chip it. Or you can do without a gem/stone. I've never owned any jewelry with gems or stones.

I love mokume gane (that tiger stripe-y metal that our wedding rings were made out of) but I love the look of the black titanium, too!

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 3:56 pm

Megz wrote:
The white sapphire version (1st link) is about $125 less, so it's a pretty significant difference. White sapphire is a 9 on the Mohs scale. That's pretty good. I'm just worried my clumsy self will chip it somehow, but I guess if I'm doing something damaging enough to chip sapphire, I should probably be more concerned about the welfare of my finger :lol:

Those are pretty rings mv. And thanks :D

You wont chip sapphire. Youd have to do something really bad to damage it and it usually just shatters. Ill be honest id be more worried about the black coating, depending on the coating it is. Some coatings are scratch proof others are easily scratched. Titanium is also a rather soft metal and is prone to scratching with other metals. But nothing to worry abut on day to day activities unless you work at an auto shop, oil rig or on deadliest catch.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:20 pm

MXH wrote:
[You wont chip sapphire. Youd have to do something really bad to damage it and it usually just shatters. Ill be honest id be more worried about the black coating, depending on the coating it is. Some coatings are scratch proof others are easily scratched. Titanium is also a rather soft metal and is prone to scratching with other metals. But nothing to worry abut on day to day activities unless you work at an auto shop, oil rig or on deadliest catch.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-b ... anium.html
Quote:
Black Titanium is not an applied coating, rather it is formed from the outside inward. It is a result of the chemistry between the Black-Ti™ alloy, temperature and atmospheric conditioning. It has been compared to a ceramic like surface, resisting scratches. However, it is not scratch proof. With heavy wear and tear the outer black titanium shell can be nicked. Because of the increased hardness, and, to address the concern of cutting the ring off in case of emergency, the thickness of the blackened portion does not go all the way through the ring.

I'm not worried about the titanium.

And I'm considering whether or not to get one with a stone at all (hence the 2nd two links). I never wear jewelry, mainly because I'm worried about it catching on something. For a while I wore a ring, it didn't have any stones on it, but it had a couple of loops on it (maybe I'll take a picture of it since I don't feel like I'm explaining that right). Once when I was working at an animal shelter, a dog leash clip (that was attached to a panicking dog) got caught on it, and that really hurt. I'm glad it didn't break my finger. So anyway, that little notch where the stone is would make it easier for something like that to happen again. A plain band would be the safest in that regard.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

22 Nov 2011, 5:44 pm

Only jewelry I ever wore was my senior class ring. I like the style of these rings Megz suggested; I like the last two the best. I'm not working rite now but I've done custodial type stuff & that's the type of job I'm looking to get(but I'll take a job in a different field if it's something I think I could do fairly well) & these types of rings seem like they would be better suited for that type of work than lots of the other styles

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

Megz wrote:
MXH wrote:
[You wont chip sapphire. Youd have to do something really bad to damage it and it usually just shatters. Ill be honest id be more worried about the black coating, depending on the coating it is. Some coatings are scratch proof others are easily scratched. Titanium is also a rather soft metal and is prone to scratching with other metals. But nothing to worry abut on day to day activities unless you work at an auto shop, oil rig or on deadliest catch.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/about-b ... anium.html
Quote:
Black Titanium is not an applied coating, rather it is formed from the outside inward. It is a result of the chemistry between the Black-Ti™ alloy, temperature and atmospheric conditioning. It has been compared to a ceramic like surface, resisting scratches. However, it is not scratch proof. With heavy wear and tear the outer black titanium shell can be nicked. Because of the increased hardness, and, to address the concern of cutting the ring off in case of emergency, the thickness of the blackened portion does not go all the way through the ring.

I'm not worried about the titanium.

And I'm considering whether or not to get one with a stone at all (hence the 2nd two links). I never wear jewelry, mainly because I'm worried about it catching on something. For a while I wore a ring, it didn't have any stones on it, but it had a couple of loops on it (maybe I'll take a picture of it since I don't feel like I'm explaining that right). Once when I was working at an animal shelter, a dog leash clip (that was attached to a panicking dog) got caught on it, and that really hurt. I'm glad it didn't break my finger. So anyway, that little notch where the stone is would make it easier for something like that to happen again. A plain band would be the safest in that regard.

That is called a DLC coating. Titanium is naturally a dark aluminum color. Diamond like carbon coating actually enfuses with the material. It is very hard to scratch.

My titanium watch with sapphire crystal. Spent an hor taking some scratches off with a eraser today

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 5:56 pm

That's a nice watch, MXH

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 6:08 pm

Megz wrote:
That's a nice watch, MXH

Thank you. DLC is a very good coating and takes a ton of abuse. You should have no worries with that.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

MXH wrote:
I'll be honest id be more worried about the black coating, depending on the coating it is. Some coatings are scratch proof others are easily scratched.

This is very true, actually, my husband's ring was bought from Overstock.com and it's not even black anymore. But the rings from titanium-jewelry.com should be fine :) I never had any trouble with mine but I only wore it a about a year and a half so I guess I can't exactly say how it holds up to long term use.

Re: the white sapphire version.. That's right, I remember now. Sorry, I never looked at your first link hehe :P I'm pretty sure when I got mine from titanium-jewelry, it was less than that. I think mine was $250 at the time so there was less difference between the two. BTW the colors shown on the bellomarc site are more accurate as to how it looks irl. The titanium-jewelry.com makes it look more rainbow than it is. It's blue-teal-purple.

Nothing is absolute.