How to know if a female is flirting with you?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

Transhuman wrote:
And how to react to it?

I don't mean to offend some of the members on WP...but isn't WP the wrong place to ask this question? If you were to ask me, my answer is "I have no clue" to both questions.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

I think people put too much stock into the whole "signs of flirting" because there have been so many times a woman was not flirting but she was doing alot of those things so the guy thinks she likes him and makes his move only to discover she was not interested.

Then you have the males where the female thinks he likes her but he really does not. "But he was showing all the signs!"

The only way you will truly know is if you invite the person to hang out and see if anything happens. If the person rejects your offer of hanging out more than 3 times, not into you unless there are good reasons.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 6:37 pm

"I love a man in uniform and that one fits you grand." :wink:

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2012, 9:40 pm

My behavior towards everyone is mildly flirtatious. I'm friendly, playful, witty, and expressive. It's not something I realized could be construed as flirtatious until I was well into my 20's, and it's not something I can or will change. I am bad at reading signals (not as bad as I used to be, though), so I developed a habit of being straightforward, but without pressuring or manipulating people (those last bits are very important).

My pickup queries were usually along the lines of:

"So, hey, not to make you feel weird or anything, but! I think you're totally cute and awesome. If you ever wanna maybe have some fun, you should let me know! But no pressure at all, you're rad either way."

Totally blows people away.

(P.S. I'm a lady and generally attracted to men)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

There's an article at the Ask Men website that seems to describe things rather well.

1. She seems to be appearing frequently wherever you are, without needing to be there.

2. Body Language is obvious (She points in your direction with her leg, foot or shoulders; She leans toward you while talking; She plays with or tosses her hair; She fidgets with a piece of jewelry (like an earring) or strokes the stem of her glass; She keeps her eyes locked on you while she talks or drinks; She mirrors your body movements (for example, if you put your hand on the table, she quickly does the same); and She smiles when you check her out).

3. She seems never too busy to pay attention to you.

4. She seems curious about you (i.e., your family, your background, and your tastes in things like food, music and movies).

5. She will ask about your job, your car, and where you live.

6. She seems open to future plans with you.

7. She seems "fidgety" around only you.

8. She seems upset whenever you talk to other women.

The more of these that occur, the more likely she may be interested in you.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 10:58 pm

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm just finding it hilarious and also really disconcerting to read about these signals. I probably send a lot of them out unintentionally.

A lot of this stuff that is described as flirting, is just what I do when I'm being friendly with someone, and not remotely trying to flirt. When I'm really attracted to a man, all that friendly stuff goes away and I get very serious and solemn. I start talking like a character in a 19th century novel. I would never cheapen a sincere interest by acting flirtatious.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:56 am

Playfulness, laughter, even touching does not necessarily mean flirting, just friendship.

Preening is a good sign.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 12:48 pm

I sometimes wonder if it's actually flirting or it's just an attempt for you to strike up a conversation, if so then why not just start the conversation >.>

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 12:50 pm

Venger wrote:
They're usually trying to trick the guy into reacting to them in some way.

Ahh that, very very true.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2012, 3:34 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Venger wrote:
They're usually trying to trick the guy into reacting to them in some way.

Ahh that, very very true.

pfft, as if you need to 'trick' someone into 'reacting' to you. you could just as easily phrase this as 'attempting to elicit a response'. which is, like, what people do when they talk to each other.

R83
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

I'm not sure this is the right question. Some people just enjoy flirting with attractive members of the gender they are into. The thing you need to try to figure out, imho, is whether the person wants to get together..

R83
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2012, 4:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
There's an article at the Ask Men website that seems to describe things rather well.

1. She seems to be appearing frequently wherever you are, without needing to be there.

2. Body Language is obvious (She points in your direction with her leg, foot or shoulders; She leans toward you while talking; She plays with or tosses her hair; She fidgets with a piece of jewelry (like an earring) or strokes the stem of her glass; She keeps her eyes locked on you while she talks or drinks; She mirrors your body movements (for example, if you put your hand on the table, she quickly does the same); and She smiles when you check her out).

4. She seems curious about you (i.e., your family, your background, and your tastes in things like food, music and movies).

I strongly disagree with most of this, I do much of 2,3,4 & 5 to random people I find interesting enough to talk to, male or female. 6 is ambiguous. 7 can be quite a good indication, although there are other reasons for it. 1 is a good indication. 8 probably indicates an insecurity over the person's own powers to attract stangers' attention, such people should be avoided..

If I had to draw up a list of ways to tell someone might want to date you, they'd probably be:

Wanting to hang out a lot, seeking you out in a crowd on a number of occasions.
Being slightly unrelaxed around you or seeming to care a lot about making a favourable impression.
*Some* people will put more effort into their appearance if they know they will see you.
Asking mutual friends for details about you.
There's a certain kind of eye contact people often make a lot when they like you..hard to describe.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2012, 6:39 pm

What R83 said.
Two bit websites that try to sell you their quick fix books on how to attract women sound good, but the reality is its just a bunch of bull.

If an NT woman is interested in you, it will be obvious. That said, nothing will be obvious if you don't even understand basic human interaction between normal people, and the reason I say that was because I had a woman hitting on me for about a year before I realised it wasn't harassment....

I read somewhere that most women make their subconscious mind up about a potential mate in like.. 4 minutes? i can't recall the number exactly, nor where i read it. Its possible to learn the ways of reading other people's subconscious i suppose, probably why it seems some women expect you to be able to know what they are thinking... :roll:

so if you're wondering why you're not picking up on flirtatious behaviour, that's one reason, because its not a conscious behavior. the other, as i said, you wouldn't be able to figure it out even if she asked you out...

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2012, 7:14 pm

RAWR! i have just the thing for you :D

CLICK ME!

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

johansen wrote:
If an NT woman is interested in you, it will be obvious. That said, nothing will be obvious if you don't even understand basic human interaction between normal people

It is possible to make friends easily and totally misinterpret an NT's romantic signals as platonic. Been there, done that.

Fnord wrote:

1 and 3 could be, or she may just find you the most interesting person to talk to in the room, on a platonic level.

2, from pure observation, most people point their feet towards people they are talking to. When two people are talking, both feet point to each other; when three people talk, one foot will be to one person and one to the other. I've never seen the hair toss by people who fancy me, but I've heard this is true; some people are just fidgity with things; friends mirror each other's body movements too; there are other reasons for leaning towards someone. The eyes thing could go either way.

4 and 5 are standard techniques to get to know someone, platonically or otherwise.

6 requires further clarification of the term "future plans".

7 could be caused by you unwittingly making her uncomfortable from your style of speech or topic of conversation.

8 could be.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 8:51 pm

minervx wrote:
Preening is a good sign.

^This.