How do you reply when someone e-mails a heart (love)?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 11:51 am

Alla wrote:
This interaction from earlier today.

Me: Are you feeling OK today?
He: Yes, I am much better. x
Me: I was really worried about you earlier! Glad you are feeling well!
(heart) Love you!
He: :D xxx

He always seems to reply with xxx when I tell him that I love him or miss him. Should I see this as a positive or does he just not feel the same way? I mean, I'd expect someone to say "I love you too", but perhaps this is not his style?
He has said in the past that he is not good at expressing emotion.

I would ask for clarification. You need to be very careful to see that you're not being used as Fnord described. Some men like nothing better than a woman from whom they can get what they want with no strings of any kind, including emotional attachments.

Alla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2013, 11:58 am

Thelibrarian wrote:

I would ask for clarification. You need to be very careful to see that you're not being used as Fnord described. Some men like nothing better than a woman from whom they can get what they want with no strings of any kind, including emotional attachments.

Well, it's not like I am asking to get married. Fnord's statement "why buy the cow" doesn't really apply to the situation. My question was more about expression of emotion. We know that aspies usually have a hard time expressing emotion. In the past, he has told me that he "really liked me" and I didn't say anything because I was not sure. But lately I've said I miss you and I love you to him and he will reply with smilies and kisses, albeit more than usual.

Do you think he feels the same or isn't sure yet?

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 12:24 pm

Alla wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Well, it's not like I am asking to get married. Fnord's statement "why buy the cow" doesn't really apply to the situation. My question was more about expression of emotion. We know that aspies usually have a hard time expressing emotion. In the past, he has told me that he "really liked me" and I didn't say anything because I was not sure. But lately I've said I miss you and I love you to him and he will reply with smilies and kisses, albeit more than usual.

Do you think he feels the same or isn't sure yet?

Yes, I understand. One thing you will realize about relationships is that men and women are different, though complimentary, and these differences are at the root of our respective beings, aspie or otherwise. More particularly, both men and women need the emotional, bonding-type parts of a romantic relationship, but these things generally mean much more to women; it's part of that sex, even if not always true. Also, men and women generally both appreciate the physical aspects of a relationship, but this part generally turns men on more than women. This is why women are almost always the ones to turn down a sexual proposition. Women want physical intimacy, but only with the right man, and along with emotional intimacy. Men are oftentimes happy with just physical intimacy, and will selfishly try to get it. You need to make sure this isn't you is what I'm getting at. He needs to show he cares about more than your female parts.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

Alla wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Well, it's not like I am asking to get married. Fnord's statement "why buy the cow" doesn't really apply to the situation. My question was more about expression of emotion. We know that aspies usually have a hard time expressing emotion. In the past, he has told me that he "really liked me" and I didn't say anything because I was not sure. But lately I've said I miss you and I love you to him and he will reply with smilies and kisses, albeit more than usual. Do you think he feels the same or isn't sure yet?

You really need to ASK HIM!

We're just a bunch of strangers on a social website, with no clue as to what is really going through his mind.

It honestly baffles me why you would ask a stranger what someone else is feeling when you yourself have no clue at all!

ASK HIM!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 2:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
Alla wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Well, it's not like I am asking to get married. Fnord's statement "why buy the cow" doesn't really apply to the situation. My question was more about expression of emotion. We know that aspies usually have a hard time expressing emotion. In the past, he has told me that he "really liked me" and I didn't say anything because I was not sure. But lately I've said I miss you and I love you to him and he will reply with smilies and kisses, albeit more than usual. Do you think he feels the same or isn't sure yet?

You really need to ASK HIM!

We're just a bunch of strangers on a social website, with no clue as to what is really going through his mind.

It honestly baffles me why you would ask a stranger what someone else is feeling when you yourself have no clue at all!

ASK HIM!

+1 The Family Feud approach gives you the popular answer, not the best one. If you don't feel comfortable asking him directly, then maybe it would be a good idea to slow things down on the sexual front.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 6:00 pm

Alla wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Alla wrote:
Well, here is how a recent conversation looked:

He: Feeling better now. I was just feeling weak earlier.
Me: My poor darling. Is there anything I can do?
He: No, I'm OK now. :)
Me: (hug) Lots of kisses
He: :) xxx
Me: (heart) Can't wait to see you on Tuesday .:)
He: looking forward to it! :) xx

Does this look like a romantic exchange between an Aspie and an NT?

No. It looks like a light-hearted, yet slightly flirtatious exchange between a man and a woman who just happen to be friends.

Disclaimer: I am a man who was diagnosed with AS a few years ago. Before then, unless a woman were to throw her arms around me, hold me close and tell me that she loved me, I would never have considered her as anything more than a friend. So while I say "No" to your question, I may be wrong.

He and I have been sexually involved for a while.

Hahahahahah

You dismissed it in the main post as if it's some insignificant minor detail.

:lol: :rofl:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm

Okay ... let me get this straight ...

• NT girl sends common symbols of love to Aspie boy without ever explicitly saying "I love you" to him.
  • He sends back common symbols of physical affection without ever explicitly saying "I love you" to her.
  • They have had mutual sexual relations without being married to each other.
  • Girl wonders what he is feeling...
I'll take a wild-eyed guess and say that he is feeling alternately libidinous and sated.

It shouldn't take an engineer to figure that one out!

:lol: :lol: :lol: