Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 2:18 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
blueroses wrote:
Brianruns10 wrote:
I'll just keep trying and praying I've found SOMEONE in time to bring to the wedding. I'm starting to communicate with someone on OKC right now, after a long dryspell, and I'm hoping she could finally be the one. Just gotta put my best face on, and try to be perfect, and without ANY flaw or reason for her to reject me, so I can prove to her I'm worthy of her, so I finally won't be alone.

Wow, that sounds like an awful lot of pressure to put on yourself.

..........and on the girl..........before the first date. :roll:

He does this with every single date which completely ruins his chances before he even meets them. He never listens to advice and refuses to change his "put all the pressure in the world on this one date and maybe if I'm lucky she'll be desperate enough to settle for me" strategy no matter how sad an ineffectual it is.

The really sad part is that the OP actually seems to be quite a catch (at least in comparison to most here.) He's fit, self-sufficient and professionally successful (he's even won an Emmy.) If he had even an ounce of self-esteem the girls would start flocking to him. Instead he see's himself as pathetic (in his brain anything less than perfect is failure) so that's how others will see him.

Oh but I have tried everyone's advice here. I'm trying to put on my best face and be absolutely confident and funny and willing to listen, and also trying to sell myself as someone who is worth it. I mean I know I have some good qualities, and I try to convince the other person that I've got potential, that I'm worth taking a chance on. I mean, every date I've been on, the woman has so impressed me, and right then and there I'd have totally been wiling to make a life with her, because I can just tell she's a good person who I'd do anything for to make happy. It's just finding someone who'll give me a chance.

And for what it's worth I really do appreciate all the advice, and I'm trying to internalize it and use it. I really, really am.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 2:59 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
Oh but I have tried everyone's advice here.

Have you though?
In the year or so I've been on this forum, I don't recall anybody here telling you that you have to be perfect and without flaws. Or telling you to put pressure on every date. Or telling you to treat every girl as the one before you even meet her. I don't recall a single person telling you that the desperation approach to dating is healthy. In fact, most people have been telling you the exact opposite of those things.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 3:31 pm

OP.. the best advice I can give you man to man is this.

You really need to look at your dating history over the past year. Look for a pattern of behaviour in them, and in yourself. What did you like? What did they like? What didn't either of you like? Did you or the lady know eachother?

I'm reading through your posts here. This next comment will be blunt.

Since you desire perfection in yourself, you're going to project it on to the lady as well. Nobody wants the projection of perfection. Take the time to know yourself.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 4:36 pm

aspiemike wrote:
Since you desire perfection in yourself, you're going to project it on to the lady as well. Nobody wants the projection of perfection. Take the time to know yourself.

I doubt he holds women to the same standard as himself. The OP has fallen for every single girl he's gone on a date with and so far "willing to settle for him" seems to be his only criteria. If he does eventually get "lucky" and find a relationship that way it wont end well.

Quite frankly, I'd rather be alone then settle for the first girl who shows me attention. That was a mistake I won't make again..........

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 5:07 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Brianruns10 wrote:

Have you though?
In the year or so I've been on this forum, I don't recall anybody here telling you that you have to be perfect and without flaws. Or telling you to put pressure on every date. Or telling you to treat every girl as the one before you even meet her. I don't recall a single person telling you that the desperation approach to dating is healthy. In fact, most people have been telling you the exact opposite of those things.

I guess what it comes down to is I want to make a good impression. And over the last year of my dating, which has been my most prolific by far, my method has been lunch or dinner, with a movie or an art gallery tour, or a speaking event of some kind. I pay for everything, so I can ensure the date goes well and so they'll know I am someone of means. I ask lots of questions, I try to focus very hard on listening to them and being interested in what they. I concentrate on making eye contact and smiling and projecting a confident, charismatic persona.

I really don't demand or expect anything of my date; I 'm just so thrilled they've agreed to join me, and I'm excited and nervous at what may happen, and praying things'll work out and she'll like me. And they all usually seem to. They seem nice and friendly and in to me. At the end of the date, I walk her to her car, and give her a hug, but never a kiss, so I don't appear overeager.

The next day I send a text or email saying how much I enjoyed seeing her, and hoped we might meet again. And then usually after that things go off the rails. I'll try to call just to chat and she won't answer. I'll text and sometimes she'll reply, but she never texts me initally I always initiate. But I try to convince myself she's playing hard to get, and I've got to fulfill my role as the man, to go after her. And i try to, until they stop replying and then I admit defeat and go on to the next one.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 5:24 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Brianruns10 wrote:

Have you though?

I guess what it comes down to is I want to make a good impression. And over the last year of my dating, which has been my most prolific by far, my method has been lunch or dinner, with a movie or an art gallery tour, or a speaking event of some kind. I pay for everything, so I can ensure the date goes well and so they'll know I am someone of means. I ask lots of questions, I try to focus very hard on listening to them and being interested in what they. I concentrate on making eye contact and smiling and projecting a confident, charismatic persona.

I really don't demand or expect anything of my date; I 'm just so thrilled they've agreed to join me, and I'm excited and nervous at what may happen, and praying things'll work out and she'll like me. And they all usually seem to. They seem nice and friendly and in to me. At the end of the date, I walk her to her car, and give her a hug, but never a kiss, so I don't appear overeager.

The next day I send a text or email saying how much I enjoyed seeing her, and hoped we might meet again. And then usually after that things go off the rails. I'll try to call just to chat and she won't answer. I'll text and sometimes she'll reply, but she never texts me initally I always initiate. But I try to convince myself she's playing hard to get, and I've got to fulfill my role as the man, to go after her. And i try to, until they stop replying and then I admit defeat and go on to the next one.

That how basically was online dating to me too, they end fast after 1st or 2nd date and they never initiate texting or any form of communication. Why does this happen? Because online dating for girls is like shopping, there are a lot of available items (males) and no shopper would waste too much of her time by checking the same item further when there's apparently a better one on the other shelf.

For me, the only dates (met thro online dating/ internet) that lasted, when things between us started.... sexual!!. Those were the only ones who showed interested, kept initiating contact with me and kept wanting to meet/date me more.

The only exception of all, was the lady I met on a hiking trip, this one kept showing interest for too long (sending morning texts, calling, visiting me, innocent flirts...etc), and she's still a very close friend of mine - nothing sexual happened between us tho. I think she's the only one who genuinely liked me for my character rather than liking my online projection (the way how I am perceived online) or my body/dick.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 5:59 pm

The OP is trying way to hard, in my opinion. When you treat a date like a job interview, it stops becoming a date. Believe it or not, most woman (at least the ones worth bothering with) don't actually think of online dating like shopping. You are the ones who think of it that way and you project that attitude onto your date. Meanwhile the girls go in expecting a fun hangout only to get someone who is overly formal and clearly trying too hard. If you think they can't tell something is amiss, you'd be wrong.

STOP TRYING. Just go on your date without any expectations.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
The OP is trying way to hard, in my opinion. When you treat a date like a job interview, it stops becoming a date. Believe it or not, most woman (at least the ones worth bothering with) don't actually think of online dating like shopping. You are the ones who think of it that way and you project that attitude onto your date. Meanwhile the girls go in expecting a fun hangout only to get someone who is overly formal and clearly trying too hard. If you think they can't tell something is amiss, you'd be wrong.

How does one begin to do that? I fear just being myself or going in without expectations, because I might make a bad mistake. I mean, when I'm "me" I wind up making poor eye contact, and I talk too long about stuff that bores other people, but excites me and I want to share it.

I feel like, the good, loving person that would be attractive to women, is buried beneath all these layers of autism, the tics and the sensitivities and all the oddities. I have to try harder to suppress those things so I'll appear normal, to enhance my chances. If I act like who I am, won't I be more likely to push people away, because who I am is...odd?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm

You are giving off the "desperation vibe". You have to learn to at least pretend like you have a little self esteem in front of them so they don't run off when they pick up on that vibe. Playing a little hard to get is good. Not overly hard to get, but don't show too much interest. Find the middle ground and stay on it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:44 pm

You know... I'm not particularly successful on OKC, but even I know not to start picking out the wedding cake as soon as someone starts messaging you.

Commitment is this giant heavy nebulous thing that no one (no NT?) wants, so stop trying to sell it (including to yourself). Now: attractive, interesting and funny, that sells like hotcakes! if you just keep selling that special blend eventually the girl may agree to a subscription. It seems silly to worry about the hidden fee's at the 5th resub when you haven't made the first sale yet.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 6:58 pm

OP. I have a couple questions for you based on your last post here... Do you accept yourself as it is? Do you accept the fact that you were diagnosed with an ASD?

This may be personal to you... So you don't have to reply openly to that

JubalHarshaw
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

Quote:
If I act like who I am, won't I be more likely to push people away, because who I am is...odd?

Well, one would think so, but the fact of the matter is that anybody you want to be with on any type of long-term scale need to like who you really are when you're not making any special effort. I can't emphasize that enough. Sure, you might be able to fool someone for a week, or a month, but eventually having someone in your life requires, y'know, having them in your life. If they walk on the first date, screw 'em. They just showed you that they're wrong for you in big, bold capital letters. (What most people call rejection, I call a blessing. Why would you want somebody who isn't into you, or take offense to finding that out? There's literally billions of people I wouldn't date; does that say something about them or something about me?)

Quote:
I have to try harder to suppress those things so I'll appear normal, to enhance my chances.

NO. No, no, no. In fact, suppressing those things may end up working against you. Look, I did theater for a lot of my teens and twenties, and I got good enough at it that I got roles NTs didn't. Even with years of stage training, faking NT behavior in a social setting just makes me look like a goober, so I can see how even somebody who works within the entertainment industry could fell like they're struggling. I can't help but think that if you see your symptoms and behavior as "layers of autism, the tics and the sensitivities and all the oddities", then you may be overcompensating on the other side of the fence and coming off like 1.) an Uncanny Valley- style "fake person" or 2.) every negative stereotype of NTs that gets bandied about WP.

TL, DR: NTs can tell when you're faking; the only way to go is total commitment to the moment and your inner Aspie, along with a callous disregard for the opinions of others. Being genuinely odd is much more appealing then being ersatz normal.

TM1337FalconPunch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2013, 7:22 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
If I act like who I am, won't I be more likely to push people away, because who I am is...odd?
You're more likely to push people away...quicker. If you try to represent this personality that you're obviously not people will eventually see through it, and/or you'll just dig yourself deeper into this "I am not good enough for others as I am" mentality. Either way, you cannot win this way. This is not a happy path under any circumstance.

If, however, you make a conscious effort to not pressure yourself to perform for people and allow instead for yourself to just get comfortable with yourself, you stand a decent chance at some point of finding someone you actually will be happy with, and will actually be happy with you, as you, provided you're patient. Yes, people are more likely to run after the first encounter, but then you must ask yourself whether they were ever going to stay for long anyway. Not to mention, the problem you're facing now is that your happiness is closely tied to your relationship status, which means you're overprioritising the need for such a relationship. Earning that self respect will, again, help you here.

Something I've picked up on through watching people- everyone from people I know only by name, to my parents, brother, best friends and myself- is that people who are looking for relationships are doing so for reasons not related to the actual pursuit of happiness, despite what they may think. Successful relationships are stumbled upon by the people who were already pretty happy to begin with.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

I get asked out often, but I can't go on dates. It's not that I don't know how. I just can't deal with a relationship.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm

Brianruns10 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

How does one begin to do that? I fear just being myself or going in without expectations, because I might make a bad mistake.
Dude, a year and a half ago I was just as hopeless and out of my depth with women as you are (I could barely even talk to them.) I made a metric f**kton of mistakes when I was doing the casual dating thing. The secret is, mistakes stop becoming mistakes when you learn from them. If you're too afraid to make mistakes, you'll never have anything to learn and evolve from.
I mean, when I'm "me" I wind up making poor eye contact, and I talk too long about stuff that bores other people, but excites me and I want to share it.
How about trying this:
Step 1:
Before the date (or on the date) tell them "I'm kind of awkward and shy around new people." Not only will that take some of the pressure off of you, it will take pressure off of them as well (trust me, they are almost certainly nervous as well.)
Step 2:
Be ok with it. If you say something that could be percieved as "weird" or "strange." Laugh it off. Say "sorry, I'm odd" and do it with a smile. Most of the stigma of being socially awkward goes away when that awkward person aknowleges thier awkwardness. Seriously, it's like magic. Half the time they'll be like, "don't worry, I'm weird too."

I started doing this and not only did it make the dates more fun and casual, it weeded out the ones that weren't worth my time. If the girl is having a good time she likely won't even notice any awkwardness.

I feel like, the good, loving person that would be attractive to women, is buried beneath all these layers of autism, the tics and the sensitivities and all the oddities.
This board has plenty of success stories of Aspies finding love with people who are compatible with aspie traits. What I've noticed, is that the ones who have zero luck or end up in messed up relationships tend to be the ones who felt they need to try and hide who they really are to fit in. You're genuine here and that inherant kindness is obvious to me and most others. You need to be willing to let some of those quirks of yours to shine through along with that loving personality.

When you go on dates using your current strategy, that good loving person is being hidden by a facade of someone pretending to be something they're not. You all but guarantee that they will never meet him.

I have to try harder to suppress those things so I'll appear normal, to enhance my chances. If I act like who I am, won't I be more likely to push people away, because who I am is...odd?
You arent enhancing your chances at all by trying to be normal. You're ruining them. A girl that falls for "fake Brian" will be dissapointed and misled when they start seeing the true you. Meanwhile, an otherwise compatible girl that would like you for you (i.e. a fellow weirdo) is going to meet this "fake Brian" and immediatly pass him by.

Making yourself out to try and appeal to largest common denominator hasn't worked for you so far, why do you think that will change? Yes, you may end up pushing some (maybe even most) women away with your oddness, but you'll make yourself far more noticeable to the ones that are compatible with you.

Putting it another way: Would you rather put on a difficult facade to make yourself appeal to the 90% of women who are "normal" and wouldn't like the real you? Or be more genuine and appeal to the 10% that are weird and would like the real you? You've tried the former and it's failed you every time it seems. I think it's time for you to try the later.

TM1337FalconPunch and JubalHarshaw are also giving you some really great advice. You should take heart.