Hale_Bopp's "tear apart my okcupid profile" thread

Page 2 of 21 [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:49 am

I'm a girl, but I like your profile. Looks good :) Positive, interesting.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

I think you would do better to describe as closely as possible the type of guy you are looking for because right now I think you will only attract the types of people you are not interested in.

When you have done describing your ideal guy, sit down and look through your profile through 'his eyes' and that will tell you if you need to change anything.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:12 am

hale_bopp, have you considered that people may read negative connotations into the "internet marketing" thing at the very start? It's a broad term that has some unpleasant associations with spam or just plain old scam sites ("lose weight fast", etc.) Without any details that sort of thing would have me a little concerned right from the start. It does seem like a bit of an odd thing to open with, too.

Other than that, I think it's a great profile, including the photos! Well, the "What I'm doing with my life" section could do with a bit more detail ;), but the "I spend a lot of time thinking about" section is awesome. (And I don't mean because of the cats, though that's always a bonus. ;))

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:36 am

I wondered about having the internet marketing thing at the start too, just in case it makes you seem like a work-aholic. I'm not sure you should mention such an avid interest in making money straight off the bat too. It's all good, but maybe further down in your profile. It would be fantastic on a resume. I would seriously consider offering you a job interview, I'm not joking either I could do with someone with your skills on my team. Unfortunately you are on the other side of the world to me.

Apart from that you're very pretty and you sound interesting and fun to be around.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:16 am

hale_bopp wrote:
This is where you post your ok cupid profile, and me and anyone else who wants to can tell you what's wrong with it and what may be putting people off.

To make this fair game, I'll start with posting mine.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/glitter-sparkle

Let's get this ball rolling.

Your inbox will be filled to the brim in 12 hours. :P

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 11:20 am

Having taken a look at your pics, HB, you somehow....look like a Southern Belle more than any kiwi I've ever seen.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:44 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
This is where you post your ok cupid profile, and me and anyone else who wants to can tell you what's wrong with it and what may be putting people off.

To make this fair game, I'll start with posting mine.

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/glitter-sparkle

Let's get this ball rolling.

Just a few suggestions:

1. I've noticed that you've listed quite a few interests in your profile. You might want to tag them in order to find other people with similar interests.

2. You said that you like movies and reading. You should fill in that section on "Favourite Movies, Books and Music" section so that people know what kinds of books and movies you like.

3. You've only answered about 9 match questions. Try to fill in some more in order to improve the quality of your matches. Don't be fooled by OKCupid's calculation of the margin of error, your match numbers change will still change dramatically, the more questions you answer. I usually don't message anyone who has answered less than 20 match questions.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm

she actually overreacted to some advice I gave and deleted a lot of questions

You are very likely an Aspie

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

My advice:

Your profile is basically just a big list. I'd try to give it more structure...use actual paragraphs, limit your likes/interests to 2-4 of your biggest ones and describe them in more detail (no one is probably going to read or care about all 30 or so you have lol). Add something to give people a feel for what you're like as a person, and maybe add something about your goals in life. As it stands, there's really not much in there to make your profile stand out from any other, besides the great pictures (a few almost look like they were professionally taken).

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm

Oh. Did I misinterpret the intent of this thread?

~~ John von Neumann

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
What is exactly your problem there? Not getting messages? Not getting wanted messages? Or what?

The problem here is there is no problem. I wanted a few opinions on mine but all in all this thread was supposed to be about people posting theirs for help. It was going to be the general "tear apart my ok cupid" profile thread, but people seem to be going into great detail about mine, which was not the intention of this thread.

*facepalm*

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 7:57 pm

Now I'm tempted to make one, just to play fair!

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:07 pm

Screw it why not I got nothing to lose posting it I guess, let me know what you guys think. It's the "Screw it why not" What I felt when I posted it lol

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:39 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
What is exactly your problem there? Not getting messages? Not getting wanted messages? Or what?

The problem here is there is no problem. I wanted a few opinions on mine but all in all this thread was supposed to be about people posting theirs for help. It was going to be the general "tear apart my ok cupid" profile thread, but people seem to be going into great detail about mine, which was not the intention of this thread.

*facepalm*

the title of the thread is "hale bop's [thread]" as opposed to a more generic title.
your profile is also the first one i.e. it gets the most attention. Other people have posted their profiles and I know that many people have looked at mine so far so they are looking, just not posting as much.

You are very likely an Aspie

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm

I think it's also the curse of being an attractive woman, seems many people want to interact with them and talk to them. Off topic kinda sorry lol.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 9:36 pm

buffinator wrote:
the title of the thread is "hale bop's [thread]" as opposed to a more generic title.
your profile is also the first one i.e. it gets the most attention. Other people have posted their profiles and I know that many people have looked at mine so far so they are looking, just not posting as much.

I had to make a fake profile to see yours because it's blocked to non-members.

The "less is more," approach is better, IMO. But the things you have posted are all... pretty cliche "geeky," - just sayin'. Obviously these are your real interests and you want to be present the real you, but just be aware that you come across as a bit of a geek/nerd, not necessarily in a bad way, but definitely as a geek/nerd. But hey, there might be people out there looking to meet a real life cast member of The Big Bang theory and could be entirely into you as a whole. Heck, I had a waitress I used to work with years ago say to me a few years ago "I like geeky white guys like you. You remind me of Spencer Reid." (from the show Criminal Minds.) But yeah, anyways - that's my feedback, whether it's very valuable to you or not I dunno, but that's it. Oh, and the "what I'm doing with my life," part could use some elaboration.. perhaps a serious answer, ie "Studying at ___ school preparing for a career in ___" or something of real substance so that it appears you have some long term goals and focus vs. just goofing around.