What is it With Women and Travel on Dating Profiles?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 2:54 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I have to admit if I was able to bring my fancy pants HDTV and Queen sized bed, be near a KFC or McDonalds at all times and not have to worry about $$$ I would love to do something like that too. Unfortunately, my sensory issues overwhelm that desire and trips are more stress than they are worth especially given the outrageous costs involved. Sigh, maybe I can learn to astral project or become a ghost so I don't have those limitations. :lol: In all seriousness though it's the whole bragging part that drives me up the wall, is if you are nothing if you haven't backpacked across Europe or Australia. Uh, not my lifestyle at all and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

You can do all those things in a travel trailer, and the payments on a TT + parking it in a long-term RV park are much less than a house payment (less than where I live, anyway).

I absolutely agree with hating the bragging part. I've seen several profiles where, in addition to having backpacked across Europe (or done a walkabout in Australia), they also brag that they lived in a tent in some remote wilderness for a year or two. As much as I enjoyed camping in the wilderness with my sweetie, a few nights at a time was PLENTY!

Mostly, it does seem like there are nothing but extremes. Extremely liberal or extremely conservative. Extremely outdoors-oriented or extremely urbanite. Extremely health-conscious or extremely couch potato. Like you, I wonder where the heck are the "normal" people, the ones in the middle? Politically in the middle, someone who's at home in either the woods or a city, someone who is reasonably health-conscious but not a fanatic. Yeesh.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:18 pm

Maybe it's a hint that they want a high earner guy or this what they subconsciously want.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:32 pm

Also, I suspect there's a lot of "I did this cool thing once when I was 18 so I'm going to include it in my profile to make me look more interesting" going on. I have to wonder if all of the "interests" that people list are things they are passionately and continuously involved in.

And I freely admit that when a guy's profile says that he goes to the gym 5-6 days a week, or that he goes skiing or golfing or <insert almost any other dedicated sports-like activity here> every chance he gets, that profile gets an automatic pass. If he's that passionate about things I'm not the least bit interested in, we're probably not a good match. There IS such a thing as overselling oneself.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:38 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
all I can think is "how in the f*** can they afford all that travel?" The job market around here is beyond dire to the point most graduates are unemployed yet it seems everyone has several big international trips planned. I can only conclude they are either a)liars or b)up to their eyeballs in debt (another big turnoff).

I traveled a lot when I was younger. Mostly in less-expensive countries, where you can live a very long time on very little money. You can do it without accumulating debt, if you live humbly. You can work while you're traveling, too. A lot of countries will hire American travellers to be English teachers.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:49 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
If he's that passionate about things I'm not the least bit interested in, we're probably not a good match. There IS such a thing as overselling oneself.

You won't date people who are very passionate about things in which you take no interest? Pretty much everyone on Earth will be passionate about something you don't care about.

MegaBass
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
Like you, I wonder where the heck are the "normal" people

They're not on dating sites.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 6:46 pm

If a girl says she travels a lot or has pictures of traveling its a pass for me, I can never do those things, so if for some crazy reason she ended up liking me, it'd all be over when she left, or I'd hold her back from traveling. Neither of those are good.

as for okc being left leaning in my area I'd say its 60/40 in big part cause of the the two colleges. There is also a big conservative population that was born and raised here though, so its to be expected. so we have a gun culture but its one that isn't discussed on the streets. at least not in left leaning areas .

yeah i agree if someone is into working out and sports, it wouldn't work out with me. I love going out doors and doing stuff, but its not with sports or working out just to work out. its one of the things that bug me "oh you don't go to a gym, you must be a lazy person who doesn't like outdoor activities.)

MegaBass
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm

I would be afraid a person who appeared too interesting would find me too boring. How ironic.

When people think of dating profiles as adverts then how can I take them seriously? I hate adverts!

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:25 pm

starkid wrote:
Eureka13 wrote:
If he's that passionate about things I'm not the least bit interested in, we're probably not a good match. There IS such a thing as overselling oneself.

You won't date people who are very passionate about things in which you take no interest? Pretty much everyone on Earth will be passionate about something you don't care about.

I have a very broad array of mild interests, and a few very passionate interests, but anything athletic/fitness related bores me to tears. If that's someone else's major passion in life, more power to them, but they're not the right person for me. I am talking primary/major passions here, not mild interests. My own history has proven that people who have such intense passions (including me) would really prefer to be in a relationship with someone who shares that passion to at least some degree.

For example, a lot of people I work with are really into bicycling. Weather permitting, they ride to work, at lunch, for a couple hours after work, and at least one full day on weekends. If I don't share that interest, when the heck am I going to be able to spend any time with them?

Shaded
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2014, 9:43 pm

Its a bit of a turn off for me because it means you'll have no time to connect. Traveling takes a lot of planning. Ive known this through going to South America. Snowboarding, swimming, hunting, fishing--those are all activities not travel.
It only cracks me up when people say, "I lead a very busy life and don't have much time to date". Umm....so how you think that will workout? Lol
You're better off looking for friends. Not trying to date. Minor traveling is fine; Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans. But there further you go the more it costs.

Knight seems just right around the corner in my dreams...

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm

We are close to the same age, and I notice that most of the women who are my age or younger are not very mature (by my standards). We could date, have fun, have an affair, but I don't see myself settling down with any of them because they are clueless about adult relationships. The ones who do have realistic expectations are super religious Christians, and I don't want that. I changed who I looked for to spot women who are at least 33 years old. They seem to be on the same wavelength as me. Perhaps looking for older women would help you find someone who is more likely to want to settle down.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm

Then you (the op) should state exactly what you're looking for; a traditional tattoo-less woman, who enjoys fast food restaurants, has no interest in travelling, and who would like to get married and start a family.
Someone might answer. You never know.

LeftWeems
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2014, 11:55 pm

I've noticed that too. Doesn't really bother me heh well except for the fact it reminds me I'm fairly not well traveled in comparison.

Flyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Feb 2014, 2:27 am

Eureka13 wrote:
FWIW, virtually all the men do the same. As well as bragging about all their world travel.

Yes, men do the same, but why? Do you guys think that most people are actually looking for this very hip but also very normal person?

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I actually saw a profile which stated they just to watch netflix on Friday night and only want to talk to someone who can accept that and doesn't party. Even though she is in another city, I am going to write her and thank her for her honesty.

I'd write her too, but I think she might be trolling. I doubt anyone would be this honest. :roll:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 2:32 am

It's just one of those things people feel compelled to put in their profile, like "I love to go out, but also enjoy a night in watching a DVD". Take it with a grain of salt, I reckon.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 3:06 am

One thing I noticed about "most" women, they wouldn't actually want travel until they feel they have passed child rearing years, then once that time comes and goes they feel they had missed out on so much. another thing, a man who travels allot is assumed to be well off, where to the ladies it may seem glamorous to be on a constant vacation until they actually have to live it.

Many are just board with life and want someone to pick them up and show them how to live it. expecting men to be that for them because their so used to men spoiling them on dates and the like.

I have extensively traveled this country. what few women who thought they wanted it found it wasn't their bag after all. never really found any females that had enough gypsy in them to not only want to, but enjoy it as a way of life. I know their out there, met a few (but they were never single), but their oh so rare to find. most don't have the stumic for it.