Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

05 Apr 2014, 1:10 am

I'm gonna quote a verse of the Avril Lavigne song, The Best Damn Thing~"I hate it when a guy doesn't get the tab: And I have to pull my money out, and that looks bad". Unfortunately I think lots of women subscribe to that belief

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 1:50 am

What's AA?

I always try to pay my share.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 2:07 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
What's AA?
Alcoholics Anonymous

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 2:12 am

nick007 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
What's AA?
Alcoholics Anonymous

The alcoholic pays? But it's anonymous, how do you know...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 2:15 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
nick007 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
What's AA?
Alcoholics Anonymous

The alcoholic pays? But it's anonymous, how do you know...
Someone or both pay & are too drunk to remember :lol:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:36 am

My general impression is you should always offer to pay.

I think there is a more subtle social nuances to this though. Really it about reciprocation, and feeling comfortable.

If paying is too big a deal, then that can come across quite negatively.

Ofter to pay, in a relaxed way. If they counter that, say it is "your treat" and they can pay next time.

If they really wish to pay offer to go dutch. Or if they insist of going dutch, consider doing this before it become strained.

If would want to make sure, say you are "happy to go dutch, but also wanted this to be a treat", don't make them feel like you are carrying them and you are obliged. It is fine to offer a couple of times, but you are skating on thin ice unless you can keep it a jovial and relaxed discourse. If it is not like that, just accept their offer and say you owe them a meal.

I'd avoid mathematical fairness, in place of general reciprocation based on feeling. None of my friend keep good track of who owes who, but we do make sure we generally get the rounds in. The more you can trust them the less of an issue it is.

I like hale_bopp's idea of asker pays, but this isn't always clear cut and it is not set in stone.

Archdevilius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2014, 4:41 am

If it's something small like a few drinks, I'll pay even if the girl pulls her wallet and insists to pay for herself.

However, I don't take girls I just met to a buffet, I find restaurants to be awkward like the cinema, I'd much rather go to a quirky antique shop, book store, castle or museum.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 5:52 am

Dutch is the way to go! Though having said that it really depends on if it's somewhere casual of if the venue was intended to woo you.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2014, 6:30 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
Dutch is the way to go! Though having said that it really depends on if it's somewhere casual of if the venue was intended to woo you.

Dutch seems the most popular in the UK.

Seems to be the opposite in the states
Quote:
"Going Dutch" is a term that indicates that each person participating in a group activity pays for themselves, rather than any person paying for anyone else, particularly in a restaurant bill. It is also called Dutch date, Dutch treat (the oldest form[1]) and "doing Dutch".

There are two possible senses—each person paying his own expenses, or the entire bill being split (divided evenly) between all participants. In strict usage, "Going Dutch" refers to the former, paying one's own expenses, and the latter is referred to as "splitting the bill", but in casual usage these may both be referred to as "going Dutch".

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 6:41 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

This. Expecting to go halfs sounds really cheap/stingy. I wouldn't want to date anyone who was concerned with getting the woman to pay her half as if the date is just a business deal.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 9:18 am

smudge wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

This. Expecting to go halfs sounds really cheap/stingy. I wouldn't want to date anyone who was concerned with getting the woman to pay her half as if the date is just a business deal.

Why would you expect the man to pay in the first place, unless you subscribe to the old fashioned values and already think of yourself of having less worth than any man. In that case, I suppose the who pays dilemma is an excellent way to determine whether you are compatible with someone even before you go any further than the first date.

grainxs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

Kiriae wrote:
Everyone pays for themselves unless one of them (male/female - doesn't matter) wants to pay for both. Paying for both is an offer, not a rule.
At least this is what I think.

Yes.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

leafplant wrote:
smudge wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

Why would you expect the man to pay in the first place, unless you subscribe to the old fashioned values and already think of yourself of having less worth than any man. In that case, I suppose the who pays dilemma is an excellent way to determine whether you are compatible with someone even before you go any further than the first date.

As I quoted:

hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 12:39 pm

smudge wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

If there's any question whatsoever, even 1%, YOU pay. If a split is mentioned unsolicited by the other party involved, that's possibly acceptable if you're like 23 or younger.

I dunno, dates aside, I profoundly hate splitting checks in general. If it's a $30 a plate dinner with drinks and s**t for a group of 10 people, I get that. But for example 6 people going out for mexican food or something? If you don't have the money to pay for yourself and, if need be, the entire group, it's cool but it should be understood before you even arrive that you're hard up and need to get paid for.

Again, maybe I felt differently when I was 20, but at this point I can't fathom going on a date and trying to negotiate a check.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 11:42 pm

smudge wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

Business deal? Well, it is really (not the date, but paying for the meal is). You are paying for the thing you are consuming. It's really nothing to do with the date. Or at least, IMO, it shouldn't have anything to do with it, apart from being a normal part of the occasion, like sitting down/placing your order/eating your meal. You pay for the order, as well. Simple. I don't know why we have to make it so complex.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 1:45 am

leafplant wrote:
smudge wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Asker pays.

Even if the woman aren't old fashioned; women still only earn on average 77 cents for every dollar a man earns for equal work so in general men should be able to better afford to pay for the date. I wish true gender equality existed & there weren't stereotypes & generalizations based on gender so this wouldn't be an issue.