Lets pick appart the ever dreamy edward cullen

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 8:13 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I've read analysis by feminists regarding the Cullen phenomena, and from what I gather even them are not understanding this women mania :lol:.

Maybe it's the forbidden love thing? Maybe many women still love chivalry? To be submissive and controlled? After all, Edward totally guides Bella the way he wants, the friends she should have, where to go and where not, he even removed her car's engine so she can't see her guy friend. :lol:.
He's really abusive in many ways.

The feminist analysis you read probably overlapped a lot with this one:

http://www.teenink.com/opinion/pop_cult ... -Feminism/

As you noted, Edward really is abusively controlling. This feminist author notes the same thing.

Quote:
Twilight is a textbook example of Stockholm syndrome, and not only manages to slaughter any ideals of feminism; it also encourages young girls give up their identities for the chance of spending the rest of their existences with psychopathic cult leaders.

The werewolf is a less problematic boyfriend and she is attracted to him (he ticks some pretty powerful boxes by being handsome, strong and animalistic without being threatening). So why the vampire and not the werewolf. This critic has a theory:

http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/critical-an ... ht-popular

this explains the attraction of the young female fan base:
Quote:
What Twilight is offering is the chance to land the hottest, richest, maturest and bestest guy in the entire world. And the catch is that in order to land him, you don?t need to change who you are. He doesn?t judge you. He thinks you?re beautiful even if you don?t. He devotes himself to you entirely without paying attention to other girls, even if they are prettier than you. He is better than everybody else in everything, even better than you - but you don?t need to feel threatened by his skills because the reason for his being better is external and has nothing to do with *your* personal skills. You have a good excuse to accept diamonds, cars and other benefits from him without seeming shallow, because he insists you accept them against your will and because he thinks you?re the most selfless person there ever was even if you do accept them.

the older female fan base is attracted to something a little different:
Quote:
Is it really so bizarre that a middle-aged Twilight-fan who spends most of her time taking care of everyday things such as work, childcare and taking care of her home would fall in love with the idea of being offered eternal youth, being the center of a man?s attention and not having to take responsibility for anything for a change?

In both cases it's pure escapism. The vampire offers something no actual man could offer (eternal youth!! !) and a vacation from reality. In contrast, the werewolf offers something slightly more realistic (except for the "turns into a wolf" part) by being part animal (as humans are) and also with realistic human emotions that must be dealt with. He is more like an actual person and thus less of a vacation.

I watched the movies because I like supernatural showdowns (there is a good epic battle at the end of the very last one) but you are right that the vampire would be an abusive partner in reality.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 8:37 am

I'd rather date Snape than a sparkly Vampire.I'm not going out with a man that's prettier than me.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 9:37 am

Janissy, I don't think it's the eternal youth what made those females wet.

A pro-twilight anaysis (by a woman) went as far as paralleling it to rape fantasy!

I'll find the link for you.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 10:45 am

I was never captivated by Edward in the books, I read it for the over all story and was particularly intrigued by the vampires' super powers and the early history of them and the werewolves. It really annoyed me that we didn't get to learn more about Alice Cullen!

My thoughts on Edward Cullen is that he isn't that great. He watched her sleep without her knowing, how creepy is that? That is so not romantic! That reminds me that in "Diary of a wimpy vampire" the vampire climbs a tree to watch his girlfriend sleep. He soon became bored! Those books are funny.

Back to Edward: I didn't find his declarations of love the least bit romantic; they were old-fashioned and ludicrous. No one talks like that.
I wasn't impressed by how he had to run away either. It just made me roll my eyes.
Bella's reaction to that may not have been impressing but I think it was somewhat realistic. I can easily imagine myself having that reaction at that age.
I hated how Edward would pick her up and try to make decisions on her behalf. He was a complete turn-off for me.

When I saw the actor they picked for his part, my thought was "but he's supposed to be really handsome!", but in the actual movie he made it work. He certainly had charms and was intriguing there.

I wouldn't call Edward a bad guy, nor nice guy. He's a mixed bag and that's okay, but I don't find his mix particularly alluring.

I much preferred Jacob. He was nicer and more interesting and sounded like a fun guy.

Harry Potter wasn't that kind of story or character at all.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 11:00 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

A pro-twilight anaysis (by a woman) went as far as paralleling it to rape fantasy!

That's the link:

http://www.hookingupsmart.com/2009/11/2 ... -psssssst/

the author sounds sort of a ret*d tbh.

Quote:
I don?t believe that any woman wants to be raped. But I do believe a great many women fantasize about being ravaged against their will by a man they find desirable

I don't get how the bold part isn't rape/assault.

What's creepy, that more women are agreeing with her in the comments below.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 11:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's the link:

Quote:
I don?t believe that any woman wants to be raped. But I do believe a great many women fantasize about being ravaged against their will by a man they find desirable

OMG! It is a feminist nightmare. :eew:

No wonder I liked the werewolf better. But...yuck! 8O

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 11:43 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's the link:

Quote:

I think some women do fantasise about that. I've heard pretty much so from women I've known. A fantasy is very, very different from an actuality. I don't think that can be emphasised enough. Even a fantasy of powerlessness, of one's will being overridden, is held safe in one's mind and at one's behest - ultimately, the fantasising person is in control. One of the most psychologically traumatic things that can happen is to have one's fantasy actually come to life.

Judging from the popularity of certain films, there's an audience of men who in some way are on board with the fantasy of something awful - kidnap, rape, murder - happening to their wife or daughter so that they can then go on a brutal revenge spree. To touch even more of a nerve, there was a certain fantasy - still is, perhaps - amongst the US filmwatching audience of great landmarks/population centres of the country being attacked so the cowboys can then come rolling in and 'kick ass'. Either of these actualities are not only traumatic, but all the more so for the fantasies they've previously taken form in.

I think it's fairly common for children to fantasise about being orphans. I don't think they'd be anything other than distraught, grieved and guilt-ridden if you killed their parents.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 1:24 pm

Fantasizing means thinking of something sexual you desire to do, when I fantasize about a sex act I think of something I really want to do.
So what else means when you fantasize of raping/getting raped if it doesn't reflect a desire?

I did hear it from few women too, always are those into bdsm and I personally find it sickening.

That's why when a guy here said he has rape fantasies (to rape) the first thing I told him is to seek therapy.

Hopper wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

That's the link:

Quote:

I think some women do fantasise about that. I've heard pretty much so from women I've known. A fantasy is very, very different from an actuality. I don't think that can be emphasised enough. Even a fantasy of powerlessness, of one's will being overridden, is held safe in one's mind and at one's behest - ultimately, the fantasising person is in control. One of the most psychologically traumatic things that can happen is to have one's fantasy actually come to life.

Judging from the popularity of certain films, there's an audience of men who in some way are on board with the fantasy of something awful - kidnap, rape, murder - happening to their wife or daughter so that they can then go on a brutal revenge spree. To touch even more of a nerve, there was a certain fantasy - still is, perhaps - amongst the US filmwatching audience of great landmarks/population centres of the country being attacked so the cowboys can then come rolling in and 'kick ass'. Either of these actualities are not only traumatic, but all the more so for the fantasies they've previously taken form in.

I think it's fairly common for children to fantasise about being orphans. I don't think they'd be anything other than distraught, grieved and guilt-ridden if you killed their parents.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 1:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Fantasizing means thinking of something sexual you desire to do, when I fantasize about a sex act I think of something I really want to do.
So what else means when you fantasize of raping/getting raped if it doesn't reflect a desire?

I did hear it from few women too, always are those into bdsm and I personally find it sickening.

That's why when a guy here said he has rape fantasies (to rape) the first thing I told him is to seek therapy.

Here's my take on it: a fantasy, like much in life, is a codified way of expressing something. You would have to ask the person who fantasises about being raped what the fantasy does for them, why they fantasise so. You would have to place it in a nexus of contexts. It may be a safe way for them to fantasise about a certain powerlessness, or about being overwhelmingly desired by someone, or who knows what else. And again, fantasising about being raped is very, very different to actually being raped. You cannot actualise a fantasy of being raped. The key point here is the person is in control of their fantasy. They can role play rape in a consensual fashion to whatever degree of 'reality' gets them off. But all the while it will be under their control. They will willingly have their will overridden.

Rape, however, is about power. I cannot see what a fantasy about raping someone could otherwise be about, and my worry with such a thing would be that the fantasy then tips over into a reality, because it comes from a genuine desire for such power, and rape is the mode through which it has found its expression in the person's fantasy life.

Many people nowadays will fantasise about being famous. The actuality of being famous may turn out to be a living hell. Far better to ask of them why they want to be famous.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:07 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

this is just wrong. i fantasise all the time about stuff i could/would never ever do in real life. that's the whole point of having an imagination, isn't it??

anyone who has been raped themselves or knows someone who has been raped and has seen what it can do to a person would never seriously wish for that to happen to them. the fantasies are always within the control of the woman having them--that is why they remain in the realm of fantasy. fantasising about what it might be like to have no control (if you don't really know what that experience would be like) and actually having someone rob you of your bodily integrity are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

just because some women might admit to fantasising about "rape" (i don't think of those fantasies as even portraying rape, because if the woman involved in the imaginary activity wants the sex to happen and consents to the activity then it's not rape) does not mean actual rape doesn't happen or it's not wrong. it does happen (to women who DON'T fantasise about it!) and it is most definitely wrong.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:20 pm

starvingartist wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

this is just wrong. i fantasise all the time about stuff i could/would never ever do in real life. that's the whole point of having an imagination, isn't it??

anyone who has been raped themselves or knows someone who has been raped and has seen what it can do to a person would never seriously wish for that to happen to them. the fantasies are always within the control of the woman having them--that is why they remain in the realm of fantasy. fantasising about what it might be like to have no control (if you don't really know what that experience would be like) and actually having someone rob you of your bodily integrity are two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

If you are given the chance to actually do the fantasy idea (in exactly the same setting and persons involved) when you are horny while fantasizing about it, wouldn't you want to do it?

Quote:
just because some women might admit to fantasising about "rape" (i don't think of those fantasies as even portraying rape, because if the woman involved in the imaginary activity wants the sex to happen and consents to the activity then it's not rape) does not mean actual rape doesn't happen or it's not wrong. it does happen (to women who DON'T fantasise about it!) and it is most definitely wrong.

starving, a rape fantasy means a rape fantasy, rape mean non-consent sex assault, it doesn't mean anything else.

Quote:
does not mean actual rape doesn't happen or it's not wrong.

Wait, who's hinting that rape isn't wrong here (it's wrong even if it happens to rape fantasizers)? Who said it doesn't happen? I don't understand why you're telling me this.

Read my post again, you really have a selective blindness:

Quote:

That's why when a guy here said he has rape fantasies (to rape) the first thing I told him is to seek therapy. (you can check the thread back then too)

So my view on rape is obvious above and so in many other posts/threads.

Seriously, stop doing this starvingartist, this is becoming ridiculous.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:27 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

If you are given the chance to actually do the fantasy idea (in exactly the same setting and persons involved) when you are horny while fantasizing about it, wouldn't you want to do it?

absolutely not.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:43 pm

starvingartist wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

absolutely not.

You probably have a nasty fantasy then. Cannibalism? blood?

Anyway, why you've chosen to ignore the rest of my post?

You just accused and assumed me of being a rape-apologist, but when I proved to you that your assumption (based on a post I did before your post) is totally the opposite of the truth, you run away instead of admitting you thought wrong.

wyrd
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2014, 3:44 pm

I read the books when my teen age daughter did. I thought girls/women reading it fell in love with the lead man as one is reading it from the lead females perspective and empathizing with her feelings of infatuation. I think readers are not 'over thinking' it and are just letting the story flow over them and if they think about it or pull it apart they see the flaws.

Also women are trained from young on this type of story such as beauty and the beast so the tale of 'a womans love healing an abusive man' is familiar and resonates with them.

you should also look up analysis of 50 shades and its abusive story as its fanfiction of twilight, ive not read it but info on that may have more answers for you.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 3:48 pm

From where I am, starvingartist didn't say much different than I did, and I don't think you thought I was accusing you of rape apologism.

I wasn't, by the way. What I was doing was talking about a subject in front of a membership who will likely be aware of arguments around 'legitimate rape' and 'rape rape', who will fairly regularly see attempts at 'debunking' rape statistics, and an awful lot of who think feminism has 'gone too far'. In this context, I think one has to be very careful and clear in what one is talking about.

Quote:
a rape fantasy means a rape fantasy, rape mean non-consent sex assault, it doesn't mean anything else.

Then we may have to consider that, definitionally, a rape fantasy where one is the victim is impossible. I'm quite fine with that.

Quote:

A little advice: saying something like that to your interlocuter would be the likely explanation they decide to stop trying to talk to you.

For the record, I have a number of fairly benign fantasies I wouldn't want to actually happen.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 4:00 pm

Hopper wrote:
From where I am, starvingartist didn't say much different than I did, and I don't think you thought I was accusing you of rape apologism.

You didn't, starvingartist did.

Quote:
I wasn't, by the way. What I was doing was talking about a subject in front of a membership who will likely be aware of arguments around 'legitimate rape' and 'rape rape', who will fairly regularly see attempts at 'debunking' rape statistics, and an awful lot of who think feminism has 'gone too far'. In this context, I think one has to be very careful and clear in what one is talking about.

I was never one of those, I never justified rape in any form or shape, in fact I confronted those who did, but obviously starvingartists always assume the worst from males by default, she always had this tendency and she has a very selective view and memory on people.

Quote:
Quote:
a rape fantasy means a rape fantasy, rape mean non-consent sex assault, it doesn't mean anything else.

Then we may have to consider that, definitionally, a rape fantasy where one is the victim is impossible. I'm quite fine with that.

Quote:

A little advice: saying something like that to your interlocuter would be the likely explanation they decide to stop trying to talk to you.

Nah, she selectively quoted parts I said before I tell her that.

What she did is that selectively quoted a part, accusing me of being rape apologist, while the rest of my post that she chose to not quote, debunks her accusation/assumption.

Quote:
For the record, I have a number of fairly benign fantasies I wouldn't want to actually happen.

I don't want to know them.