Women: What do you want to hear when a man approches you

Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:15 pm

LittleLu wrote:

However on a side note, I have been approached by notably Aspie guys who were interested, but they drew too much attention to the two of us for me to feel comfortable around them. They were quite loud. So that's another aspect to think about. Keep your voice at a reasonable level. ^-^[/color]

Wait, that's a thing? Thanks for that bit. I am REALLY loud, especially when I'm excited or having fun. It never dawned on me that could be off-putting.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:20 pm

beakybird wrote:
LittleLu wrote:

However on a side note, I have been approached by notably Aspie guys who were interested, but they drew too much attention to the two of us for me to feel comfortable around them. They were quite loud. So that's another aspect to think about. Keep your voice at a reasonable level. ^-^[/color]

Wait, that's a thing? Thanks for that bit. I am REALLY loud, especially when I'm excited or having fun. It never dawned on me that could be off-putting.

Yes, I'll second LittleLu. The loudness can be uncomfortable and embarrassing when all you want is a quiet chat to try and get to know someone better. It's worse if they've been drinking and start getting louder and more incomprehensible.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:21 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
beakybird wrote:
lidsmichelle wrote:
Interest in what I'm doing, wearing. Compliment how I'm wearing my makeup or an accessory I'm wearing. Am I wearing something that indicates an interest in something (a movie/band/video game T-shirt), if you know something about it bring it up or ask about it if you don't. Compliments on clothes and makeup and accessories are good because they're things we often put thought and effort into.

So, if a guy were to approach you, not on a bus, or a bus stop, or train, but somewhere. And commented on say, a shirt you were wearing like you say. Would this lead you to believe automatically that this guy were interested in you, or just being nice? Id it assumed by women that if a strange man is being nice to you he's interested? It probably should be.

Is it really common/acceptable in the States to approach a complete stranger and comment on their clothing? 8O

I'd feel weird commenting on a woman's clothing outside of a t-shirt with some obvious talking point on it. I'm not the type of guy that admires women's clothing. I mean I do like when women wear certain things, but I'd have no idea how to make it non-creepy. But a T-Shirt is easy. I like some very obscure music/bands that probably very few females enjoy. If I were to cross paths with a woman wearing a T shirt with one of said bands, and it was not already a concert I would probably A) develop a crush in about 6 seconds, B) have absolutely no discomfort walking right up to her and talking about it. People wear things like that to have others notice it. And maybe even talk about it. If it were only that easy...

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:25 pm

hurtloam wrote:
beakybird wrote:
LittleLu wrote:

Yes, I'll second LittleLu. The loudness can be uncomfortable and embarrassing when all you want is a quiet chat to try and get to know someone better. It's worse if they've been drinking and start getting louder and more incomprehensible.

Ok, makes sense. Just never realized it was something to look out for.

I'd never overdo it drinking with someone I'm just getting to know, if I even drank much, or any at all. Even when I was with my wife I usually tried to be less drunk than her. It's be way more so for someone I barely knew.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:30 pm

Thanks - outside the concert scenario or something similar - such comments (and generally any comment regarding physical appearance) would be considered too personal to be made by a complete stranger around these parts.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:34 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Thanks - outside the concert scenario or something similar - such comments (and generally any comment regarding physical appearance) would be considered too personal to be made by a complete stranger around these parts.

So where you are from (which is where btw?) if I saw a woman wearing a Dillinger Escape plan T Shirt (maybe they don't wear Tshirts there, I dont know), and walked up to her and complimented her on it and mentioned how big a fan I was, this would be unacceptable?

So if you're interested what do you do?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Jul 2016, 2:40 pm

There is a flipside to that too, I don't think you'll get very far being soft spoken or mumbly. Speak too slow, speak too fast, too flat, too loud, I think any awkwardness if off putting to most. I just don't think it's really something I could ever really handle which is pretty depressing and distressing, c'est la vie I guess.

I really don't think commenting on someone's clothes is good idea, no way to determine who would receptive to that or be totally creeped out

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:49 pm

@beakybird I'm from Scandinavia and live mostly in Germany. If you see someone wearing/using something that signals being part of the same tribe or having similar interests, you make eye contact and nod or smile - if they react positively (nod, smile) you can talk to them, otherwise it's seen as an intrusion. In more laid-back settings like a concert, convention, bar etc, it's easier to strike up a conversation, but the rule about making eye contact and seeing how they react to it still remains if you want to be polite (it also saves you from being told to f**k off).

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 3:00 pm

LittleLu wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Is it really common/acceptable in the States to approach a complete stranger and comment on their clothing? 8O

Yes in fact. This is extremely common. I'm complimented all the time on what I'm wearing. :O

I would recommend finding something that both can relate to with the woman that the man is approaching. In my experience I don't like it when random strangers come up to me to start a random conversation, or try to touch me. It freaks me out. (I'm mainly lesbian and I don't even let girls do that to me.) Say they're a gamer girl and they're wearing a Zelda shirt. If the guy likes Zelda, he can compliment her on her attire and ask, say, what their favorite Zelda game is. Or something along those lines. Find relation. I had a boyfriend in the past, whom I decided to start dating for one of the sole reasons that he was fun enough to ask me flat out which videogame was my favorite. It turned into a friendly debate, which later turned into a happy relationship.

However on a side note, I have been approached by notably Aspie guys who were interested, but they drew too much attention to the two of us for me to feel comfortable around them. They were quite loud. So that's another aspect to think about. Keep your voice at a reasonable level. ^-^

I would add a caveat to this for autistic people (because of special interests and our tendency to obsess and hyperfocus on particular topics): if the thing you are conversing with the woman about is something you are also interested in and know a lot about, don`t question the woman like you`re putting her through an exam. I`ve met people like this before, that when they see you share an interest they immediately become competitive and need to prove that they are more knowledgeable/skilled than you and make it a point of pride. If she is interested in something you are also interested in, instead of trying to figure out if she knows more than you or is better at something than you or not and being insecure about it just be glad that there is something you have in common, and talk about it like an enjoyed common interest rather than a competition. If you can`t deal with someone who might potentially know more about something than you do or be better at something than you, then you should probably deal with your own insecurity before attempting to date people (this applies to both women and men).

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 3:33 pm

If anything worked, it would have to be funny. And even then, I probably wouldn't go out with them because I know absolutely nothing about them and they know nothing about me so I would be thinking they must be after me for my looks because they don't know the real me - my personality, my likes and dislikes, etc. I have to know something about the person before I will go out with them - unless its a blind date set up by a friend.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 3:39 pm

Which is why I have a rule against approaching women in grocery stores.

I also have a rule against investing in individual stocks--that is too much like gambling! Instead, I invest in cost effective index funds--and have done quite well. :D

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 4:06 pm

beakybird wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
Maybe something like may I buy you a drink if your in a cafe or a bar. Or maybe like 'sorry to bother you but I noticed [your reading this or doing this activity] What do you think to it.

I think picking out things that are non sexual is good too like I sorry to bother you but you smile really struck me and I felt the need to come and talk to you.

I warn you I haven't been approached much so this is just like fantasy stuff

That's sort of what I'm going for anyway. Not 'what works' or 'what do guys try' but what would you, as a woman, personally be receptive to. I'm also not looking for 'what works well enough to get you to consider sleeping with a man' either. Fantasy stuff is the idea. I'm sort of data gathering at the moment I guess. I've not had to do this sort of thing in years and never really could. Plus it's such a mystery to a lot of men, not just me. We're making an attempt here at solving an age-old dilemma...

Naturally being non-sexual off the bat would be assumed. By me at least. That's sleazy and if a woman went for that it'd be a turn off for me anyways. I mean I wouldn't dream of approaching a woman, initially, and commenting her on her ass or even legs. That would seem quite sleazy even if it were a true statement, as it goes right to "I am thinking sexual things of you" immediately. I would assume eyes, hair, smile etc would be things far more acceptable. Keeping it from the neck up to start with is probably a good rule there I'd guess :lol:

I guess another part of this question is because my theory is most women don't even know, making the entire thing enormously frustrating and left basically up to random chance. If many guys don't know how to approach women, and women don't know how they want to be approached, what's a man to do?

I also have to say, I find it hard to believe you've barely ever been approached. I'm certainly not saying you are lying, but it's hard to see why. I wonder how many other women feel like that?

My mum says I'm always doe eyed and look frightened. I mostly get guys approaching me asking if I need help :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yeah, that may be part of your problem then, or maybe not. :lol: It's also possible then that a sizeable portion of the men asking to help you may be doing so with interest as well. Someone looking like they are in need of help are easier to approach because there's an obvious question to ask: Do you need any help? Are you lost etc? Maybe you have just misinterpreted guys actions in that respect. Guys who aren't bold or confident will do some REALLY awkward things in an effort to gain a woman's favor or attention.

I hadn't thought of that hehe. I always just assumed it's just because a lot people are very helpful.

There is something to be said for a man who helps a woman in some form though. A bit like a white knight riding in for a rescue hehehe. When a guy helps you with your suitcase or asks if your ok it shows they are a good person which is attractive :)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 4:09 pm

BTDT wrote:
Which is why I have a rule against approaching women in grocery stores.

I also have a rule against investing in individual stocks--that is too much like gambling! Instead, I invest in cost effective index funds--and have done quite well. :D

Could you explain that in NT language, please?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:37 pm

nurseangela wrote:
If anything worked, it would have to be funny. And even then, I probably wouldn't go out with them because I know absolutely nothing about them and they know nothing about me so I would be thinking they must be after me for my looks because they don't know the real me - my personality, my likes and dislikes, etc. I have to know something about the person before I will go out with them - unless its a blind date set up by a friend.

I used to feel like that, but a male friend of mine said to me. But how are you supposed to get to know the guy if you don't go out with him and I was like, um, I don't know.

So after that conversation I decided to cut guys a bit of slack and give them a chance. I mean it's only a coffee. Unfortunately, since then, no one has asked me out. Typical eh?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:39 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul ... 9b972138b9
A typical article on why you don't want to invest in individual stocks.

The basic premise of rules is to avoid making stupid mistakes in situations where there isn't enough time to carefully make a decision. You do a careful analysis in advance, and craft a rule that works well in most situations. If you are highly skilled, you may not need rules, but for those of use who need a "dating for dummies" or "investing for dummies" book, rules can be quite useful.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/w ... end-o.html
Similarly, day traders have a rule that they close out their positions at the end of the day.

Last edited by BTDT on 04 Jul 2016, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 5:42 pm

hurtloam wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

I used to feel like that, but a male friend of mine said to me. But how are you supposed to get to know the guy if you don't go out with him and I was like, um, I don't know.

So after that conversation I decided to cut guys a bit of slack and give them a chance. I mean it's only a coffee. Unfortunately, since then, no one has asked me out. Typical eh?

I've done that and it's always ended in disaster. I don't want to waste time in going out with the wrong guys. I could be studying, knitting, catching up on Downton Abbey or washing my hair. :mrgreen: I have certain things I'm looking for. Too bad I can't give them a written test first to see if they are worth getting to know.

Darn, I flunked.