My girlfriend hurt me, but did I deserve it?

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

This whole. "other people exist why do you only want this one?" is possibly a whole other debate. But people are unique. This may seem facetious to quote a family TV show, but I only saw this episode of Dr who the other day and I liked the way this was written:

Quote:
[The Rings of Akhaten (2013)

The Doctor: The elements [of the universe ] came together and burst apart forming shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings. Until, eventually, they came together to make you. You are unique in the universe. There is only one Merry Galel and there will never be another.

We are all unique, I've travelled around a lot and i've never met two people exactly the same and there will never be another ironpony's girlfriend. She's not just a number.

Doesn't mean she can just do whatever the hell she wants without consequences, but it also doesn't mean she can just be discarded without consequences.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 3:24 pm

Okay thanks for the opinions. However, I am really shocked to hear that she have kept this a secret from me. I mean even when I talked inappropriate with the FWB, I didn't hide it from her really. She asked who I talking to earlier and I told her, a friend from before. I was honest about it.

What I did was wrong, I know. But at the same time, why is it that dishonesty and keeping secrets is the best policy for not hurting someone in a relationship?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 3:29 pm

I think she may have been embarrassed to tell you at the time. She may also have been scared of losing you completely. I think that means she knew she did the wrong thing.

I think she let enough time pass for you to make her feel secure. Now she trusts you she's confessed.

But I understand that you now feel like it's more difficult to trust her.

It's up to you how you handle that information. We can't tell you what to do.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2016, 3:38 pm

MaxE wrote:
PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Actually, the only thing she did wrong was confess. She thought the OP had developed enough maturity to put the incident in perspective and forgive her. She should have kept her mouth shut.

So if someone confessed to me of a murder after years, I should just forget it and not call the police?

Thank you. This is a perfect response.

The OP needs to get an "abundance mentality". There is literally an unending supply of women in this world. Nobody is really all that special. And when someone hurts you in an unforgivable way such as by cheating on you, you should dump them. You don't need to be with someone who treats you like that. You are a person of value who deserves better than someone like that.
OK one more post and I promise I'll leave this thread.

Please read the OP. Under the circumstances I would be willing to overlook what the lady did. I think everyone will agree that what she did was wrong, however it would be ridiculous to equate this with murder. Plus cheating is not necessarily the worst thing someone can do in a relationship. There's this for example. As I said, she should have just kept this thing a secret between herself and the other guy. She thought the OP could handle it but was wrong. Going forward, she'll probably be a lot less open with him, if the relationship in fact survives much longer.

If you look at some of the OP's earlier posts, you might see that he hasn't been the best boyfriend in the world either. Of course who is? I think we tolerate each other in this forum because we share similar deficits in our dealings with others. But we should also be willing to own up to our deficiencies. The "D" in ASD does stand for "disorder" after all.

A couple of years ago I posted this about a past girlfriend - Was she on the spectrum? I feel like sharing a bit more of that story than what was written before, as it might help to explain how I arrive at some of my opinions.

So when she and I first became a couple, I can recall she told me she had a "lover" - in fact I know who the guy was. In fact, she described him as very "gentle" which if you think about it, would typically only be said in reference to somebody who was very "well endowed". I can recall not having assumed at the time that she would never hook up with him again, as it was plainly described as a purely FWB situation. Although my memory may not be so dependable so many decades later, I can recall at the time not really caring if she did. Later on (maybe a few weeks later) I happened to stop by a venue where an event was being held by a cultural group. When I got there, I saw her walk past holding hands with some guy. If I recall, she smiled at me and continued on. That evening, I calmly asked her to never do that again in front of me which she never did IIRC. However it's quite possible she had a friendly hook-up in the guy's van before saying good-bye to him. In case it's not clear, I was essentially living with her at that point. She and I spent every night together. In fact the relationship continued for another couple of years. If you don't think she was serious about me, the fact is that the following Spring she actually announced our engagement in the local newspaper. In fact she was so much into me at the time, that during the summer when I couldn't be with her, when I would come to visit, at the end of our visit when I had to leave, she would always throw up from the degree of upset. To be perfectly honest, I should have actually married her, even if it hadn't worked out in the long run. I didn't know how good I had it.

Part of the explanation is that she was the most sex-positive female I ever met - I guess I just couldn't bring myself to be angry at her for a couple of indiscretions.

Her influence may well be why I have so little patience with the repressed attitude some people on these forums have with regard to the topic of sex and relationships.

Just felt like getting that off my chest.

Oh one more thing. @PuzzlePieces1 - "abundance mentality"? - Nope, not a thing. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts plenty others will agree with that.

Actually, I will post again in the event of a legitimate request for me to clarify what I have said up til now.

The average person is not okay with someone they are in a relationship with having sex with someone from outside the relationship. That's just human nature. And that's okay. It's okay for someone to want their partner to be exclusive to them. People aren't required to say that everything their partner does is fine. It's okay to have standards and to say that you deserve better when someone behaves in a way that is unacceptable to you.

Now some people are much more permissive. There's actually a fetish called "cuckoldism" where men enjoy sharing their partner with others. Some men even like watching their partner with someone else in person. However, this is very rare in this world. Most people want their partner to be faithful to them. Most people want exclusivity and once again that is okay.

I don't know why so many people think that men and women are not allowed to set standards. Nobody is required to permit their partner to treat them any way they want to. That's what I was trying to say about "abundance mentality." Too often, people think that they need to stay with someone who is abusive or unkind or unfaithful, when the reality is that there are literally BILLIONS of other people out there that they could be in a relationship with instead. Abusive and unkind people are not special unicorns that you are required to stay with.

I hope everyone on this board accepts the fact that they are people of value who can decide for themselves what is acceptable and unacceptable. It is okay to cut people who hurt you out of your life. It is okay to stop being friends or being in a romantic relationship with people who don't respect you. Believe in your own value and do what is right for you.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Abusive and unkind people are not special unicorns that you are required to stay with.

Well yes that is true and an important factor to consider, that's why I've highlighted it.

But we're the op or his girlfriend actually being abusive?

Life is complicated and we all have to weigh up the pros and cons for ourselves.

I think it's good that she did fess up. I feel for the op. Being cheated on hurts. She should have confessed it sooner. It's maybe been bothering her conscience all this time.

Or maybe not, maybe its some sort of power play. Who knows. He's got to decide for himself what to do.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 4:33 pm

By the way, did her cheating end three years ago, or did it continue, perhaps to this day? Besides, if I were her boyfriend, I wouldn't trust her not to have kept doing it and just not letting me know. As far as being able to "handle it" is concerned, I think it's best handled by dumping her immediately and not looking back.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 7:23 pm

I don't mean to hurt the OP, but I don't get what "mod cut", "have sex for a brief moment" or "be slightly taken by another man for a brief moment" mean.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

18 Sep 2016, 8:45 pm

Peacesells wrote:
I don't mean to hurt the OP, but I don't get what "mod cut", "have sex for a brief moment" or "be slightly taken by another man for a brief moment" mean.
I don't understand either. I need to know to form a good opinion.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 8:56 pm

2nd base??

"One step up of First Base, heavy petting and feeling up while making out, up the shirt or shirtless for both partners."

"touching of other peoples private areas"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ond%20Base

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 2nd%20base

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm

I missed bringing this up the first time and didn't see others bringing this up:

Why was this guy (friend or not) invited to her last birthday party? Sounds like she may be testing the boundaries a little.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 9:25 pm

Outrider wrote:
2nd base??

"One step up of First Base, heavy petting and feeling up while making out, up the shirt or shirtless for both partners."

"touching of other peoples private areas"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ond%20Base

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 2nd%20base

He said "have sex" though, I am not sure.

Synth.osx
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm

She could be testing the boundaries and telling you to see how strong the emotional response is. Many people have advised you to walk away and in this case, you should dump her without showing any type of emotion as she could use it against you or attempt to manipulate you further.

She has already tried to manipulate you attempted to justify her cheating by comparing it to something you did in the past.

If you enable her, she will think that cheating is acceptable behaviour. Do not listen to the men that have enabled women to cheat on them openly, you deserve better.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 12:30 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Actually, the only thing she did wrong was confess. She thought the OP had developed enough maturity to put the incident in perspective and forgive her. She should have kept her mouth shut.

So if someone confessed to me of a murder after years, I should just forget it and not call the police?

I dunno. If I really liked my girlfriend and she told me she'd murdered somebody years ago, I'd probably just turn a blind eye to it.

Her having cheated years ago, that's a big no-no. I would definitely lose confidence in the relationship.

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2016, 12:48 am

Your not married.

She forgave you.

____________ (fill in your response)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 12:59 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
I dunno. If I really liked my girlfriend and she told me she'd murdered somebody years ago, I'd probably just turn a blind eye to it.

Her having cheated years ago, that's a big no-no. I would definitely lose confidence in the relationship.

What if she confessed she tried to murder you three years ago and was thwarted only by accident?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 3:00 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:

What if she confessed she tried to murder you three years ago and was thwarted only by accident?

I'd definitely want to get out of that relationship, but things get complicated when you've got a potential killer who hasn't left any evidence yet. Dump her and she might kill me, don't dump her and she might kill me anyway. It's a pretty tough situation to deal with.