Majority of autistuc men dont have a girlfriend?

Page 2 of 30 [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 9:24 am

I did acting classes in Uni and loved them. I did really well too. We had to learn on our own to juggle four items whilst reciting a soliloquy. It was kind of a side project everyone had in addition to the regular work, so we could learn to coordinate our speech with our body movements and concentration at the same time. I can still do it and still remember my soliloquy from Romeo & Juliet. I didn't know I was autistic and it's not like this skill or acting in general still helps me today because I can't even mask, but I can see how acting lessons would help a lot of people with basic social gestures, body language, and conversation skills. After all, they give stage directions and tell how how to act / appear when representing various emotions. There's also improv where you learn to speak to others without a script.

Highly recommended.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 9:47 am

bee33 wrote:
I haven't really known any autistic folks in real life, but there was an acquaintance of my late partner who had two autistic sons and we ran into them in the lobby of a theater in the intermission of a performance. They were in their late teens at the time. One of the sons came up to me and stood just inches from my face and didn't say anything. I don't know if he realized how off-putting this was. I assume he didn't realize. He wasn't doing anything bad but it just came off as odd and uncomfortable. I think there are autistic behaviors that come off as weird and that need to be explicitly unlearned, so as to not do them. I don't know if social skills classes are available to many or if they even address things like this. Maybe acting classes would help? They might help to become aware of one's outward behavior and how it's perceived and work on changing it, at least its most outward manifestations. I think it's these subtleties that create problems for people with ASD. I don't think anyone needs to change who they are.

Here's the problem: Even if we unlearn the obvious stuff (like invading others' personal space), there are all sorts of subtleties we'll never understand.

Successful interaction requires you to pick up on all sorts of cues in real time. We'll never be able to master that.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 9:53 am

BTDT wrote:
Relationships are often initiated by non verbal communication.
Someone who is autistic may not relalize that a potential partner is signalling them non-verbally and thus ignores the overtures that person is making.

This. 100%. I'm convinced I've missed lots of opportunities because of this.

The reverse is also true. It's easy for those of us on the spectrum to mistake niceness for interest (I'm guilty of that). After humiliating myself (by mistaking niceness for interest) one time too many, I started overcorrecting in the opposite direction (to where I now think a woman is "only being nice" even during instances where she's probably truly into me).

Should I ask a woman out if I think she's into me? Conventional advice would say yeah. But I can't take even one more humiliation. It's too risky to ask her out unless I'm 120% sure she's into me.

Telling the difference between niceness and interest can even be a struggle for neurotypicals sometimes (but is way more of a struggle for those of us with ASD).

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 9:55 am

nick007 wrote:
bee33 wrote:
I don't know if social skills classes are available to many or if they even address things like this. Maybe acting classes would help?
Perhaps something like cotillion classes :chin: I have no experience with that but I've heard they teach structured social interaction related to dating. Not sure how common they are nowadays but they're probably more common in the south.

SkinnyElephant wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Do you think learning how to hold down a relationship is the issue? I do think as well society has negative stereotypes regarding autistic people and romantic relationships

I'd say it's a combination of: Too socially awkward to get a relationship in the first place. Too many quirks to maintain a relationship on the off chance we get a relationship.
I think I'm a lot better at maintaining a serious relationship than getting a relationship. My quirks & issues would likely scare someone off once they learn about them before things get very serious. Plus some things are better for me being in a serious relationship instead of being single.

My quirks end up scaring partners off before we have a chance to get serious in the vast majority of cases.

SailorsGuy12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2024, 10:42 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s not easy for women either. There are many different ways in which the early stages can be challenging for people.

He said in the initial attraction phase, especially since OLD which is more looks based.

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 12:54 pm

^ Yes, that’s what I was responding to.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 1:04 pm

BillyTree wrote:
I don't think there is any statistics on the percentage of autistic men having a female partner/girlsfriend/wife. But I think it's fair to say that being autistic, at least as a cis and straight man, makes it harder to form a lasting romatic relationsship with a partner. It can be done and you can be popular with woman if you have other qualities than "allistic social skills" but you would probably be a lot more popular if you had those qulities and were not autistic.

What I could find, no gender specified:

"Old research shows that about 5% of autistic adults are married or have been married in the past. 9% of autistic adults are married, while 32% have a romantic partner. For comparison, around 50% of non-autistic adults are married."

https://www.discoveryaba.com/statistics ... %20married.

So based on the above, the answer to the OP is most likely a Yes.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 1:09 pm

BTDT wrote:
Relationships are often initiated by non verbal communication.
Someone who is autistic may not relalize that a potential partner is signalling them non-verbally and thus ignores the overtures that person is making.

yeah, and that is something that i'm sure will always be the same, men having to make the first move all the time

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 2:09 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s not easy for women either. There are many different ways in which the early stages can be challenging for people.

Definitely, I do think that it's a different set of problems, but definitely.

Personally, I have up and just hired a matchmaker that matched me with a woman with clear autistic traits. Which had its pros and cons

I don't know that it would have been necessary if I had been properly diagnosed when I was younger. A "I don't pick up on flirting, please be blunt" button would have done wonders for me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 2:24 pm

What it’s like for women in a club situation:

Obviously, some women make the first move. However, if a woman decides that she’s not going to approach guys but is receptive to dating someone that way, she still needs to look friendly and approachable. She may strive to give off nonverbal cues, like flirting, to demonstrate that she’s interested in a specific person all the while, perhaps, experiencing stuff from others that may make her feel uncomfortable to varying degrees. (Women experience a lot of harassment on dating apps and in clubs.) Then after being approached, she needs to handle that interaction appropriately. It’s very complicated and not my cup of tea. I’m very shy and don’t like to approach or be approached by strangers. I’m more about developing friendships with people through friends or meeting someone more organically.

So yeah, I think the “early attraction stages” can be challenging for all genders because it’s not just about guy approaching girl.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 5:45 pm

Not an autistic man, but the reason I don't have a girlfriend is in large part due to the lack of opportunity to meet anyone. Although I do have plans to attend a couple of late pride events and see if I can make some connections in the community. It's easier to befriend people first, I can never flirt with strangers right away. Not even on apps.

However, I've mostly given up for now and I'm largely just focusing on finding a new job.

I'll admit that I can be oblivious to when women like me unless I'm outright told. Dating apps are a nightmare. I'm usually the one making the first move in those situations. Too bad I'm rather boring. :lol:

Alright. May the regular scheduling continue. 8)

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

dustinsdynasty
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2024, 7:45 pm

I choose not to have one for several reasons. It's hard just managing my life, let alone someone else's. I have had relationships but they were with toxic people and it just made me see that I just can't be with someone else.

I am also repulsed by scents and smells that comes from the human body, so pretty much that takes any form of intimacy out of a relationship along with the fact that I am impitent (sexual dysfunction). While physical intimacy is a big part of a relationship, I know it would never be an successful endeavor.

That's kinda how I've arrived in the asexual spectrum. I don't mind the looks of men, but with the disinterest in intimacy, there's rarely personal connection...at least not yet.

Blog: http://www.dustinsdynastyusa.com
Linktree: http://linktr.ee/dustinsdynasty
Diagnosed with Aspergers at age 13 back in 1998.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 5:28 am

I choose not to be in a relationship. I've heard so many horror stories about relationships, so I choose a life of celibacy.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 10:38 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Personally, I have up and just hired a matchmaker that matched me with a woman with clear autistic traits. Which had its pros and cons

I don't know that it would have been necessary if I had been properly diagnosed when I was younger. A "I don't pick up on flirting, please be blunt" button would have done wonders for me.

If only we had a cloud above our head that said "I don't pick up on flirting." Our problems in the realm of getting a partner would vanish.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 12:37 pm

SkinnyElephant wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

If only we had a cloud above our head that said "I don't pick up on flirting." Our problems in the realm of getting a partner would vanish.

No, but it solves the biggest issue. I've definitely had women flirting with me, but by the time I realized it, I couldn't act on it. It's especially the case of you're not able to socialize that much as missed opportunities are more costly.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

07 Jul 2024, 1:00 pm

A bit of people are afraid of making a direct move due to fear of rejection & social embarrassment. If someone is used to relying on flirting they would probably scratch a person off their list if they know directness is required. But in that case they are probably not compatible so it's not really a loss. Some women are direct though but they are probably not typical NT women. That's a major reason why my girlfriends have been on the spectrum & they actually made the first move with me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition