Ladies: Would you let your man get a motorcycle?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you let your significant other get a motorcycle if they wanted one?
I'm a girl, and no / probably not. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm a girl, and yes / probably. 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
I'm a guy, and no / probably not. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I'm a girl, and yes / probably. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
I resent this reference to genders. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I resent this reference to probability. 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
BIKER CHICKS!! ! 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 5:25 pm

edal wrote:
Fall off a bike at 40mph and spend three weeks in hospital. Then come back and see if you need to ask the question.

Okay, will do, but I have to wait until I get my new bike -- my current scooter only goes 37 MPH. :P (Seriously!)
Then I'll hit 40, and throw myself down for my first road rash, and contemplate how I like it.

My friend said he wiped out at 90 MPH, and didn't have any serious injuries. It was because he was on a light-weight bike at the time, he said.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:12 pm

Ragtime wrote:
edal wrote:
Fall off a bike at 40mph and spend three weeks in hospital. Then come back and see if you need to ask the question.

Okay, will do, but I have to wait until I get my new bike -- my current scooter only goes 37 MPH. :P (Seriously!)
Then I'll hit 40, and throw myself down for my first road rash, and contemplate how I like it.

My friend said he wiped out at 90 MPH, and didn't have any serious injuries. It was because he was on a light-weight bike at the time, he said.

because EVERYBODY falls the exact same way.... goin 90 MPH!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 7:07 pm

Sedaka wrote:
because EVERYBODY falls the exact same way.... goin 90 MPH!

Not implying such is safe, just relating one true story. I must admit, I'm still apoplectic at his story, though I know he's telling the truth -- it's just hard to picture! He must've been wearing the maximum of full-body leather. Either that, or he managed to basically use the downed bike as a sled.
It also very much depends on if it's a wet surface -- that can help you hydroplane a bit. Maybe I'll ask him more about that crash when I see him at my church this Friday, and report the details in this thread.

But I don't do rock climbing, I don't do grappling, I don't do hang-gliding, parachuting, bungy-jumping, skateboarding (anymore), or any other extreme sports. In fact, motorcycling isn't even an extreme sport, unless you make it that way. This would be the single adventure area in my life, so I'm playing it rather safe, for a guy who's brimming over with testosterone.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

24 Oct 2007, 8:49 pm

I love my HD 1200cc Roadster (though I wish it cornered just a bit better). I'm crazy, but I'd much rather die via motorcycle in my prime than die of old age in my bed; everybody's gotta go sometime, and I'll not spend my days hiding from the inevitable, or worrying about it.

Good fortune,

- Icarus wishes he had a swoop...

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
I love my HD 1200cc Roadster (though I wish it cornered just a bit better). I'm crazy, but I'd much rather die via motorcycle in my prime than die of old age in my bed; everybody's gotta go sometime, and I'll not spend my days hiding from the inevitable, or worrying about it.

Good fortune,

- Icarus wishes he had a swoop...

Cool bike! Yep, you said it.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

I don't get any more dangerous than this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic-s8Hxxfj8[/youtube]
I made that video 2 years ago, right after I got my camera.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 10:08 pm

Ragtime wrote:

Hmmm... I wiped out at 55, on a 185 cc bike, and broke my skull. A friend of mine wiped out at 50, riding a 750, and was DOA, but I don't think it had anything to do with bike size, just luck.

I wasn't a biker for a very long time, maybe 35,000-40,000 miles total, but, having hit the pavement before at various speeds, I have a REALLY hard time imagining an accident at 90 that anyone could walk away from. I'm not going to say that your friend is guilty of extreme exaggeration, but I will say that the scenario described sounds absolutely freakish. Do not expect similar results.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 11:51 pm

geek wrote:
Do not expect similar results.

Like I said, I don't. I won't be amazed if I wreck, even though I'll be riding only occassionally, since I own a BMW convertible sports car, which keeps me plenty interested in driving rather than riding.
I only like two-wheelers for the spice of life.

Last edited by Ragtime on 25 Oct 2007, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 3:01 am

Whatever she does, it's her decision.

I don't like any mode of mechanical transport; I'd rather walk/swim than drive/ride.

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2007, 11:35 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
Of course. My boyfriend can do whatever he wants. If he starts doing things that make me unhappy, I'll talk to him about, or leave. But I would be happy if he got a motorcycle. I've never ridden one and would really like to experience it.

think of it as sitting on a rocket, "WILD. E. COYOTE"-style.

i wouldt mind my partner having a motorcycle, just ask her to wear a helmet and some warm clothing. long rides are freezing, becuse you dont have any shield agains the elements other than a small piece og plastic or glass.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 1:49 pm

also... do some aikido or martial arts and learn how to roll and take some breakfalls in general.

have heard some motorcycle and ATV stories from our aikido friends and if they hadnt known how to roll... they woulda been a lot worse off than they were in their wrecks.

could also help in sports such as soccer and football...from what ive seen

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 2:49 pm

I am indifferent in this regard.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

edal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 3:38 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am indifferent in this regard.

Tim

Then why post a comment, unless it's to get your comment count up a bit further?

Ed Almos

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 4:03 pm

Personally, I think it looks like it's a lot of fun, and I would have no qualms about purchasing a bike in the future. While I don't think "permission" is an appropriate concept in a healthy relationship, I don't think one should get a motorcycle if their partner is strongly against it. It doesn't seem right to put them through the worrying.

However, I am more of a scooter person myself. I want to get my Class E license and buy Vespa LX once I get a part-time job.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 6:57 pm

Well, even though I messed up the wording on the poll for guys, girls seem to be 100% ready for their men to get motorcycles. Of course, not a lot of women have voted either way...

And, the concept of "permission", whether appropriate or not, is found in 100% of the relationships I've observed and been in throughout my 28 years. Not so much with casual dating relationships, but anything more than that usually entails daily, or at least weekly interrogation of one or both partners. (Usually one more than the other.) Me, I get sick of nosy questions pretty quick. I mean, if she doesn't trust me, why be with her? My best friend just got out of a relationship like that. It's like she was totally insecure, and acted out by starting arguments. It's not for me.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 11:12 pm

I went up to a local Suzuki/Honda dealership today, and saw that bike I want (shown in the photo at the start of this thread), the Honda Rebel. They didn't have any used ones, back had three new ones: silver, dark red, and black (my favorite). $3199. I may finance it -- not sure yet. My Christmas bonus usually ranges from $1,000 - $1,500, so that will be a definite help, offsetting my horrendously expensive recent dentist visits (over $3,000). I hadn't been to the dentist in 8 years, so naturally, I had some catching up to do. I just had four teeth drilled, and I've got five more to go. Not the ideal time to be dreaming of a new toy, but I'll bounce back financially in a few months.