making lovers out of friends

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 6:10 pm

Rynok, the third scenario is that she grew on you and your initial friendship was entirey genuine. Though plenty of women (and men probably) will simply not believe that can even happen. Generally, though not always, if you're a woman's friend that means you'll never be her partner.

Like the OP, I find it difficult, maybe impossible, to become interested in going out with someone if I don't know her at least a little. First impressions can be deceptive, it's happened to me that I meet a girl I find attractive, we seem to get on well, she seems highly compatible - and once I got to know her a little I lost interest in her even as a friend (she didn't go anything horrible to me, we were just totally incompatible).

I strongly suspect that relationships that started as friendships have a high success rate, because from the start there was more than physical attraction or a good first impression holding it together. Like sinsboldly posted, if she's your best friend and lover that's long term material. However, the transition from friendship to relationship is pretty rare. She may misniterpret the whole thing as you being cowardly or fake, she may simply like you as a friend only (which I can relate to, I've got a female friend that I wouldn't want to date or anything - her personality is not my type for a partner, though I genuinely like her as a friend), she may have a prejudice against friends first, etc.

The only relationship I've been in (5 1/2 years), we started out as friends.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 6:28 pm

My mom and dad were friends before they married.

My uncle and his wife were friends before they married.

As for me, I don't think I could get into a relationship without being friends or knowing that person better before making a relationship out of it.

Then again, friendship has so many hidden meanings for people.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 8:37 pm

Yeah, I would rather be friends before lovers. Contrary to most men, I want to get to know the person before I give my heart to them. Besides, friendship is a way to see whether or not two people are compatible before they jump into a bad relationship.

But even so, I'm happy just being friends too. At least a female is actually talking to me right? And who knows what the future might hold. :P

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:22 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
It does happen only if there's an initial physical attraction in the first place, a girl can be friend with those she's not attracted to and with those are attracted to, only the latter are potential bfs.

Very true; but she decides who she finds attractive, and tastes do evolve and change... especially as one gets to know a person, just as perhaps in a similar way to getting accustomed to a change in surrounding or routine. I agree with you, LPP - just pointing out that only she gets to make that decision... if you choose to try and preempt that, then I would gather than the result would most often be rejection for a number of reasons no matter which way you chose to presume.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:29 pm

Just be thankful you have friends of the opposite sex.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:37 pm

Bataar wrote:
Just be thankful you have friends of the opposite sex.

QFT

A lot of guys take for granted that they do have female friends. Maybe it's true in some cases the other way but I notice it much more in guys. I do think that if you have at least one friend of the opposite sex then there is a chance something more will happen. As I said earlier, you never know what the future holds. :)

JennaJ
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm

Toad, I have never had a serious relationship wtih anyone i was not friends with first. I am just like you...i simply can't seem to go from a first date to romantic involvement. I have to build those feelings up and it happens with them in friend capacity first.

So yes, there is very good possibilities in this area with being a friend before lover. It can't happen with all friends obviously, but that is how all of my relationships started.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 10:34 pm

For the record, I'm 30 years old and have never had a female friend.

laura123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2009, 1:39 am

We were friends for 2 years before we started dating.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 6:24 am

makuranososhi wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
It does happen only if there's an initial physical attraction in the first place, a girl can be friend with those she's not attracted to and with those are attracted to, only the latter are potential bfs.

Very true; but she decides who she finds attractive, and tastes do evolve and change... especially as one gets to know a person, just as perhaps in a similar way to getting accustomed to a change in surrounding or routine. I agree with you, LPP - just pointing out that only she gets to make that decision... if you choose to try and preempt that, then I would gather than the result would most often be rejection for a number of reasons no matter which way you chose to presume.

M.

Such kind of decisions are always based on hidden primitive instincts , sometimes they appear instantly , sometimes they appear little delayed....

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 10:22 am

I disagree, Petit - attraction develops for many reasons, and can often be as based in neuroses as instincts. And I notice that you said nothing about the fact that she makes that decision... efforts to anticipate will only lead to problems, I believe.

M.

JennaJ
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2009, 4:36 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

That couldn't be more untrue for some women. I was not initially attracted to my ex husband. He just didn't have the outward characteristics i went for. It was only after KNOWING him and becoming good friends that his qualities that i do love came out and came shining thru and once i fell for his personality the physical changed for me as well. he became extremely good looking to me after that and I only had eyes for him.

You can't predict some of these things. The power of attraction is so individual that you can't say that attraction HAD to be present at first before a woman could fall for a guy friend. It has happened to me more than once actually but the most prominent example is that of me and my ex husband. The marriage failed but not at all due to lack of attraction on either parts, just some other incompatiblities that cropped up over time and it is sad that it had to end because I would have rather it didn't. And so would he. But it is one of those things where the issues became insurmountable.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2009, 6:30 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
What is the viability of advancing a friendship with someone of the opposite sex to a romantic relationship, and if it can be done, is there any good way to go about it? I ask this because, as I've incessantly ratted off multiple times before, I am incapable of feeling any attraction to strangers... I need to get to know a woman before I can consider her a candidate for dating, let alone a relationship... Sometimes I feel like making a lover out of a friend is the only way I'm ever going to find love in this life at all...

A NT does not have that much success in doing such a thing..... An ASD is probally in a position that makes this much more difficult...

It is possible though..... (will take few hours... but take me a few days to analyze thingds to be able to answer the other question)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 12:41 pm

I'd prefer to be friends with a person before going out with them, preferably if we've been friends for a while.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 12:56 pm

JennaJ wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

That couldn't be more untrue for some women. I was not initially attracted to my ex husband. He just didn't have the outward characteristics i went for. It was only after KNOWING him and becoming good friends that his qualities that i do love came out and came shining thru and once i fell for his personality the physical changed for me as well. he became extremely good looking to me after that and I only had eyes for him.

You can't predict some of these things. The power of attraction is so individual that you can't say that attraction HAD to be present at first before a woman could fall for a guy friend. It has happened to me more than once actually but the most prominent example is that of me and my ex husband. The marriage failed but not at all due to lack of attraction on either parts, just some other incompatiblities that cropped up over time and it is sad that it had to end because I would have rather it didn't. And so would he. But it is one of those things where the issues became insurmountable.

**giggles**
People on forums tend to be ideal , in other term .... I don't take every word written here for granted.

A chemistry doesn't happen after knowing the person but it happens during hours after meeting the person, you convinced yourself that you are attracted to your ex physically because you didn't have another alternative then , in fact almost every heterosexual human can be attracted somehow to many humans of the opposite sex (of the same range of age) if one is willing to , but if the hot guy with perfect personality of your dreams popped up and asked you out just before falling for your ex wouldn't you pick the dream guy instead ?

Now are you totally convinced that if your ex was totally ugly to you you fall for him after knowing him ? c'mon. If there's no initial attraction, even a tiny one, it can't never work even after ages of platonic friendships.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 1:32 pm

Despite her own experience, you still insist that you're right. It's amusing, LPP, I must admit. Chemistry develops in many ways, not just the one you describe. Different people have different time frames for how they accept people into their lives. *chuckle* I know you will think I pick on you, but it is just that your assertions continue to be based only on your own experience and point of view with little regard for what others have been through or their response as a result.

M.