Do looks even matter for Aspies?

Page 11 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
I'm not saying it's the sole reason for deciding to 'date' someone, what I am saying is, it's ridiculous to suggest that physical attraction doesn't play any part at all and that a person is somehow shallow for suggesting that it does.

but that wasn't what mds_02 said at all. what he said was that he had physical attraction to women then imagined them to have positive traits that they did not possess. so the attraction was 100% based on looks, and when the personalities didn't match, his mind did a bit of manipulation. this is not the same as looks being one factor of many

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

Get in here mds_02, I'd love to read an example.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:51 am

it was an extremely honest admission. think most of us could find similar experiences in our own pasts too

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

hyperlexian has it pretty much exactly right. Looks aren't everything to me. I very highly value positive personality traits; kindness, boldness, a sense of humor. I would not date someone who I did not believe to have a good, positive personality. The problem is that my mind will trick me into believing a person has those traits when they really don't, based on my physical attraction to them.

It's not that I say to myself (consciously, at least) "oh, she's so pretty. She must be a good person." But, when I'm attracted to someone, I'll ignore, or make excuses for, any negative behavior they show.

Short version; Personality matters to me. A lot. But show me a pretty face, and I can be fooled into thinking that the personality is there when it just isn't.

I don't really know how to give an example that doesn't read as "I liked her. She did something to hurt me, and I didn't see it coming because I was so infatuated." everyone has a version of that story. Most people, it happens to a few times. I'm just saying that when it does happen to me, the reason I don't see it coming is usually her looks.

I'm kinda agreeing with both sides here.

The point hyper is making, that attraction can develop where there was none initially based on personality, makes perfect sense to me. I'm just pointing out that the reverse happens as well. A good personality can help someone appear attractive, but attractiveness can help someone appear to have a good personality.

At the same time, I see what ZX is saying. A lot of posts in this thread sound as though physical attraction plays no part at all. Unless a person is incapable of physical attraction, it just does not compute that they would not take it into account when choosing a mate. Further, I believe that someone who ignores physical attraction (assuming they feel it) is doing both themselves and their partner a disservice. Denying themselves the pleasure of a partner they are attracted to, and denying their partner the pleasure of finding someone who is attracted to them.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:24 pm

mds_02 wrote:

hyperlexian has it pretty much exactly right. Looks aren't everything to me. I very highly value positive personality traits; kindness, boldness, a sense of humor. I would not date someone who I did not believe to have a good, positive personality. The problem is that my mind will trick me into believing a person has those traits when they really don't, based on my physical attraction to them.

It's not that I say to myself (consciously, at least) "oh, she's so pretty. She must be a good person." But, when I'm attracted to someone, I'll ignore, or make excuses for, any negative behavior they show.

Short version; Personality matters to me. A lot. But show me a pretty face, and I can be fooled into thinking that the personality is there when it just isn't.

I don't really know how to give an example that doesn't read as "I liked her. She did something to hurt me, and I didn't see it coming because I was so infatuated." everyone has a version of that story. Most people, it happens to a few times. I'm just saying that when it does happen to me, the reason I don't see it coming is usually her looks.

I'm kinda agreeing with both sides here.

The point hyper is making, that attraction can develop where there was none initially based on personality, makes perfect sense to me. I'm just pointing out that the reverse happens as well. A good personality can help someone appear attractive, but attractiveness can help someone appear to have a good personality.

At the same time, I see what ZX is saying. A lot of posts in this thread sound as though physical attraction plays no part at all. Unless a person is incapable of physical attraction, it just does not compute that they would not take it into account when choosing a mate. Further, I believe that someone who ignores physical attraction (assuming they feel it) is doing both themselves and their partner a disservice. Denying themselves the pleasure of a partner they are attracted to, and denying their partner the pleasure of finding someone who is attracted to them.

yeah my ex said when he met me he ignored the things he didnt like about my personality and life because he liked how I looked.

I wish people didnt do that as no one wants to be unaccepted and not liked for who they are

and people dont keep ignoring a persons faults because they find them attractive, sooner or later they become increasingly critical of those flaws.

V33X
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

Yeah, I'm normally very picky, but if a female shows me kindness and what-not, I normally stop caring about what they look like. :P

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:32 pm

The-Raven wrote:
yeah my ex said when he met me he ignored the things he didnt like about my personality and life because he liked how I looked.

I wish people didnt do that as no one wants to be unaccepted and not liked for who they are

and people dont keep ignoring a persons faults because they find them attractive, sooner or later they become increasingly critical of those flaws.

I agree that that tendency does not help either partner. All I can say in my defense is that I do not do it on purpose, and I do my best to work against it.

And yeah, sooner or later the person's faults become more evident. Nobody is perfect, faultless. If you go into a relationship thinking your partner is, you are asking for the relationship to fail. Most likely very badly. Much better to enter a relationship when you truly know the person, including their faults.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:33 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
It takes an hour to drive 80 miles at 80Mph?
and your point is... what? you wanted an excuse to make fun of someone?

I thought it was a funny clip totally irrelevant to anything in the thread, 'cause frankly I was getting sick of it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:18 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
It takes an hour to drive 80 miles at 80Mph?
and your point is... what? you wanted an excuse to make fun of someone?

I thought it was a funny clip totally irrelevant to anything in the thread, 'cause frankly I was getting sick of it.

then go to another thread.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Do looks even matter for Aspies?

From what i am seeing here, hell yea. Not different than the regular population.