How do you decide if someone is right for you?

Page 15 of 16 [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:19 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Even in the « internet swiping » process people meet in person, date, go to parties, places, outings for many times before entering a relationship - it’s not like the thing remains on the virtual world forever.

That's when TP's comment kicks in though. If they meet this one-and-only woman /last-chance woman from online I hope they wouldn't decide in five minutes that they'll hook up with her, date her, or even spend the rest of their lives with her despite having nothing in common, or not liking her as a person.

Even if this was his first thought (which is a foolish first sight love thought) - if their marriage went well and still thriving for years then they happened to be the right one for each other. - regardless how he thought first, nope?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:22 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

- People date some of their admirers first.
- Then they pair up.
A have dated 10 people before settling for B.
B have dated only 1 person before settling for A.
A and B are now a couple, but that doesn’t mean they had equal prospects before they become an item.

You're just not listening. You can't make a blanket statement about women and men in general (that women in general have more prospects than men in general) and then try to back it up by giving individual examples. Of course there are individual women who have more prospects.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:24 am

Boo,

That's why I said I'm openminded in the first five minutes, but I keep asking myself if they're still the right person as our relationship evolves.

I wouldn't want to be married to someone for many years based solely on the fact he liked me for the first five minutes decades prior, or the fact he settled. I'd expect that he be assessing our communication and our suitability over and over again to affirm to himself he made the right choice, almost like renewing wedding vows but done quietly on his own.

I do the same as relationships move from step to step.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 21 Sep 2024, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:24 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Legend says that you turn your admirers and adversaries into stone alike. :tongue:

It depends on my mood. :lol:

Sometimes there’s an awfully thin line (or no line!) between admirer and adversary.

That explains your lack of admirers then.

Just stop STARING at them, shall you.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:30 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Legend says that you turn your admirers and adversaries into stone alike. :tongue:

It depends on my mood. :lol:

Sometimes there’s an awfully thin line (or no line!) between admirer and adversary.

That explains your lack of admirers then.

Just stop STARING at them, shall you.

I mostly turn people into stone who deserve it. I have a couple good candidates in mind right now…

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:32 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Boo,

That's why I said I'm openminded in the first five minutes, but I keep asking myself if they're still the right person as our relationship evolves.

I wouldn't want to be married to someone for many years based solely on the fact he liked me for the first five minutes decades prior, or the fact he settled. I'd expect that he be assessing our communication and our suitability over and over again to affirm to himself he made the right choice, almost like renewing wedding vows but done quietly on his own.

I do the same as relationships move from step to step.

I think whoever said that meant « he decided to give it a try to get to know her better after the first five minute » - because no way a marriage or LTR would last if the only things he liked about her are things he assessed in the first five minutes; surely there are more good things he discovered about her all down the years. :| :?:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:33 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I turn people into stone who deserve it. I have a couple good candidates in mind right now…

I am too blobby and squishy, you can’t stone me easily.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
I turn people into stone who deserve it. I have a couple good candidates in mind right now…

I am too blobby and squishy, you can’t stone me easily.

I wasn’t currently thinking about you but someone who is harassing me. That’s very off-topic, but I’m surprised that anyone feels comfortable with dating apps. I need to know someone well enough to feel safe with them in order to consider dating them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:55 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I think whoever said that meant « he decided to give it a try to get to know her better after the first five minute » - because no way a marriage or LTR would last if the only things he liked about her are things he assessed in the first five minutes; surely there are more good things he discovered about her all down the years. :| :?:

I wasn't addressing that to any specific person in this thread or even on WP, but just as a general comment. Some people here and in the media have been suggesting men (especially autistic men) don't have many chances to date so they'll kind of settle for whatever or whoever they can get. I'm not an autistic man so I can't say how true that is, but I hope even if they "settle" then they're still willing to reevaluate as the relationship progresses instead of developing codependence or a fear of being alone. That's often a recipe for IPV abuse by one partner or the other.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 4:48 pm

Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
More like this
1 - has to "look dateable"
2 - ok personality
3 - hasn't run for the hills

Pretty sensible criteria.

Since it's been made clear that a woman has to "look dateable", and possess an ok personality, in order to be in the running, what then of men who don't "look dateable" and don't have an ok personality? If we're only talking about "dateable" women, then for it to be apples to apples, it should be compared to "dateable" men.

Logically speaking, if a man has a lot of trouble getting dates, then he very likely is not "dateable", according to "sensible" criteria. And if men aren't even going to bother considering women who aren't "dateable", then why should women consider dating men who aren't "dateable"?

Equally so, if we're going to claim that women who "look dateable" get more attention, while still ignoring women who don't "look dateable", as per the above sensible quotes, then maybe the reason a specific woman gets more attention than a specific man, is cos she "looks dateable" to a greater degree, or has a more "ok personality" - or both - than that specific man does.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 4:53 pm

Two words nobody seems to be considering

Beer Goggles

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 5:02 pm

My bf could have done with a pair of swimming goggles and a snorkel when we first went out

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 5:07 pm

Dateable means you can decipher their serial number to identify the day of manufacture. :nerdy:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:02 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Since it's been made clear that a woman has to "look dateable", and possess an ok personality, in order to be in the running, what then of men who don't "look dateable" and don't have an ok personality? If we're only talking about "dateable" women, then for it to be apples to apples, it should be compared to "dateable" men.

Logically speaking, if a man has a lot of trouble getting dates, then he very likely is not "dateable", according to "sensible" criteria. And if men aren't even going to bother considering women who aren't "dateable", then why should women consider dating men who aren't "dateable"?

Equally so, if we're going to claim that women who "look dateable" get more attention, while still ignoring women who don't "look dateable", as per the above sensible quotes, then maybe the reason a specific woman gets more attention than a specific man, is cos she "looks dateable" to a greater degree, or has a more "ok personality" - or both - than that specific man does.

Oh you were waiting for an operational definition? why don't you just ask.
there are various observational criteria and sliding scales on each of those criteria which amount to some type of holistic score or tipping point that equates to "I could date her". For men the criteria will slightly vary but the sliding scale probably depends on how desperate they are. i.e. the more desperate, the more flexible your criteria/score.

In Australia I was eventually finding that any woman roughly my age who would talk to me was "dateable". My criteria for dating was quite high in my teens but became less fussy over time. I was ok looking and had no problem getting dates. But when I was experiencing less attractive overweight women rejecting me as a 29 year old good looking fit man I eventually started thinking something was wrong with me. So I moved to Asia and suddenly women who were exceeding my expectations were quite literally throwing themselves at me. I wasn't greedy and eventually settled for a nice person who as a bonus was also pretty.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:21 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
A average man typically get the attention of a single woman once in a blue moon, so he will take his chance with her and see where it will lead, the initial criteria that may make him to reconsider not dating her would be very basic faults such as , *gulp* cyberdad said, not being pleasant or not being nice enough. The fact that he has no other options, and she is pleasant enough AND gives him attention means he has nothing to lose to try.

I mean without assuming anything about what an average woman experiences (we are told to stick to our own lived experience).

Boo's description are the experiences of an average (or the median man in the middle). Some men do get more attention than average and some might repel women due to odours, hygiene or appearing to look homeless. But to me it's common sense.

But getting attention still means making a move to get attention. As has been copiously advertised, almost all women never make the first move. But I think (for me anyway) this applied when I was dating Aussie girls. In Australia the odds (at least for me) were not stacked in my favour. I was being treated as a friend and the women who moved in my circles did (as Boo indicated) have options so were shopping around.

In asia (at least in he early 1990s) women were very different. I suspect its because I looked "western" but they would come up and talk to me. Amazingly when I made the move, I was like a fat man at a buffet. Almost all single women whom I dated were both open minded and marriage minded.

So the only caveat I would add to Boo's perspective is that it probably applies in western countries and Lebanon is close enough to Europe so women are "westernised", but this certainly wasn't my experience in Asia.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I wasn't greedy and eventually settled for a nice person who as a bonus was also pretty.

When you say “settled” do you mean you weren’t particularly in love with her at the start?

How well did you know her?

Also what did she think of you?

Not judging, just curious.