Anybody else shun their own race/culture?

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2010, 3:23 am

You don't sound as if you're trolling to me... everybody's got preferences...

I can't say that I shun my own race/culture, but I do feel like an outsider sometimes. I'm 22yo, black and I've always been told that I talk/act white because I don't use slang, know all the new rap songs, read a lot, etc. It's kind of annoying...

I am attracted to black, white, and some hispanic guys, especially nerdy ones. I also have a thing for potheads but that's a different story. There aren't many black males my age that I know with a black gf (all hispanic), and I can't help but wonder if I'm screwed in finding a black guy who won't automatically write me off due to ethnicity over personality. Maybe I should look elsewhere, like outside of FL or the south? Surely there are black male 20'something's into black female 20'somethings in other areas? I wouldn't mind dating any type of guy though, so long as they're cool and not super religious (don't mind it from a scholarly perspective but as a belief it turns me off).

Knowing myself, I'll probably forget all my preferences when I meet a guy I really like. Funny you mention Atlanta OP; I was just thinking about Atlanta as a dating place. Don't try FL though; it's a hoebag convention (guys and girls).

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 3:49 am

I try to avoid associating with my own race - mostly because most Cambodians(and Southeast Asians) here come off as ghetto or trashy. I also don't have a fascination with Asian women too but I'll look beyond looks if you have the personality.
Shoot, some Asians I've seen try to act black. Gimme a break... :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

11 Oct 2010, 4:09 am

I think I kind of prefer people in my area who are very rare minorities like Jewish, Chinese, Muslim ect. The seem to have much better values here than the majority. The 3 main culture groups here are White, African American & Hispanic; the rest is a very small minority. I don't know a lot about Hispanic culture but most of em speak very little English & Hispanic women generally don't go for White guys; they go for other Hispanic guys or African Americans.
The African American culture idolizes the ghetto culture; they may imitate the White culture some but they talk about the ghetto stuff a lot & seem to bash White culture a lot. African American women seem to mainly be interested in other African Americans & they seldom go for Whites.
I kind of explained why I don't like the White culture earlier in this thread but I don't hate White people; I may dislike a lot of the culture aspects but I try not to judge. I take chances & ask em out but I've been rejected every single time. It seems like half the White women tend to be more interested in African American or sometimes Hispanic guys instead Whites.
I try not to judge people by their skin color or what culture group they belong to & I will NOT rule out anyone based on things like that but these are tends in my are that I've noticed. I am aware that NOT every person fallows those trends

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

scott77
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2010, 7:04 pm

I'm currently in a relationship with a very nice lady from the Philippines. As an American, white male, maybe I am more attracted to an Asian woman than an American woman. It's probably because I appreciate someone who is of a different culture than myself.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think I kind of prefer people in my area who are very rare minorities like Jewish, Chinese, Muslim ect. The seem to have much better values here than the majority. The 3 main culture groups here are White, African American & Hispanic; the rest is a very small minority. I don't know a lot about Hispanic culture but most of em speak very little English & Hispanic women generally don't go for White guys; they go for other Hispanic guys or African Americans.
The African American culture idolizes the ghetto culture; they may imitate the White culture some but they talk about the ghetto stuff a lot & seem to bash White culture a lot. African American women seem to mainly be interested in other African Americans & they seldom go for Whites.
I kind of explained why I don't like the White culture earlier in this thread but I don't hate White people; I may dislike a lot of the culture aspects but I try not to judge. I take chances & ask em out but I've been rejected every single time. It seems like half the White women tend to be more interested in African American or sometimes Hispanic guys instead Whites.
I try not to judge people by their skin color or what culture group they belong to & I will NOT rule out anyone based on things like that but these are tends in my are that I've noticed. I am aware that NOT every person fallows those trends

I'm a Latina and I'm mainly attracted to Caucasian males; I also speak very little Spanish. :P It's not that I shun my ethnicity; I'm just very Americanized and connect better with the American culture. Take a chance on the Latinas! :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 10:28 pm

Stellar wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I'm a Latina and I'm mainly attracted to Caucasian males; I also speak very little Spanish. :P It's not that I shun my ethnicity; I'm just very Americanized and connect better with the American culture. Take a chance on the Latinas! :lol:

I would if any seemed interested in me. I'm NOT going to rule out anyone because of their race/culture. I'll take most anyone unless they have to be on something to like me which unfortunately seems to be the only way any woman will ever be interested

ssouvie
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2010, 12:56 am

Hmmm, this is a funny topic! I'm a queer white (Irish-American) female and both men I have dated have been Latino. For some reason I've always been drawn to Latino men, but as far as I'm concerned, it has more been chance or circumstance. I explain it as being both a function of where I live (Los Angeles) and the fact that it seems like more Latinos are involved in music subcultures than white people are here.

The really weird thing though is that I have been mistaken for being Latina or Mexican a BILLION times, even by Latinos themselves. I have very pale skin, and though I do dye my hair black, my features are VERY European and I have a VERY Celtic first and last name. I don't know what it is! Even my boyfriend's mother, who is Guatemalan, though I was Latina. I recently had a friend ask me if my cousin that he met was on the white side of my family or not. He was shocked when I told him BOTH sides were white!

Anyway, I don't think I actively shun my own race or culture, however I think I was drawn to discussing issues of race at a much younger age than most white kids, around 13. I've always been politically conscious in terms of race, gender and sexuality issues and think the majority of crap mainstream American promotes is absurd and often times hateful.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2010, 3:33 pm

nick007 wrote:
Stellar wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I would if any seemed interested in me. I'm NOT going to rule out anyone because of their race/culture. I'll take most anyone unless they have to be on something to like me which unfortunately seems to be the only way any woman will ever be interested

Maybe you should look for women in a different area. I know a lot of hispanic and black women who are attracted to white guys, so it depends on where you live and what the local mindset is. So maybe you should try another area for finding girls and take a chance there.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 5:20 am

leeloodallas wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Stellar wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Maybe you should look for women in a different area. I know a lot of hispanic and black women who are attracted to white guys, so it depends on where you live and what the local mindset is. So maybe you should try another area for finding girls and take a chance there.

Lots of people suggested I go to a different area. If I had the money, resources & skills to move; I would consider going to another country

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 6:09 am

Yes. I shunned the whole ethos of traditional British life when I was a teenager, and threw my lot in with hippies and anarchists. I'm not into capitalism. I resent it when anybody tries to appeal to my sense of patriotic duty because I don't have one and I don't want one. I'm largely ashamed of British culture and "straight society." More recently I've had to admit that they're not all bad eggs, but I don't think I'll ever buy into their value system. When the French government cuts spending there are riots. When the British government cuts spending, our non-revolutionary culture just sits back and accepts it - they moan and groan, but they do nothing practical to fight back. Weak, weak, weak! :x

The only connection with partners I can think of is one or two of my partners who have disappointed me with their deference to mainstream values, their failure to understand that there are other ways of doing things than just knuckling under to convention, their failure to empathise with and support the victims of cruel Government ministers and managements....oh no, we're supposed to just accept that, work on and have lots of kids and expenses, keep up with the Joneses, borrow money and work extra hard to pay it back, and stop all this silly grass roots direct action.

I'm also "colour blind" with women, I don't actively prefer partners of different colours, and am no less happy with an English woman (communication is simpler for one thing)......I tend not to make any connection between the person and the cultural background, probably because I can't understand why anybody would want to defer to their background when there are so many other ways of doing things....I tend to expect everybody to be like me, to shun their background and work out their behavioural standards for themselves, so when I get married I don't marry the partner's family or culture, I marry the partner, and any interaction with the other stuff depends on how well it happens to go.

Weiss_Yohji
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2010, 8:36 pm

I don't shun white culture. Nor do I find race relevant. Black, white, brown, red, yellow, blue, gray, green--I give everyone a chance. As for religion, my attitude is "leave that stuff at home".

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:41 pm

Nah, I dig all my races. Each one's very cool IMO.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:46 pm

yup, i shun caucasians, that's why i'm dating one :roll:
it seems my reverse shun-psychology isn't working though...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:03 pm

I'm from New Jersey, and I'm finding that I don't like the stereotypical New Jerseyan:

Does that count?

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:21 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I'm from New Jersey, and I'm finding that I don't like the stereotypical New Jerseyan:

Does that count?

LOL! Yes, I think that counts.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:51 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:

Does that count?

i wasn't even aware that New Jersey had a stereotype :?
i'm confused, what is it?