Ever felt obsessed with someone?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 4:06 am

anneurysm wrote:
These obsessions are very minor compared to the ones I used to have. During my preteen and teen years they were very intense and I would have excessive difficulty controlling them.

I'd say beware. I used to have obsessions over a couple of people that made me physically sick over extended periods of time when I was a teenager. Then I had a relatively quiet period up until to age 25 when I was turned inside out - quite literally. I anticipate that I'll be having another incident soon.

Thanks God I know that most people will view my obsessions as creepy so I don't manifest them. It is harder that way but at least I am spared the teasing and the people who are the object of my obsessions don't talk behind my back about me and don't obtain restriction orders against me. For all I know, when I meet any of them on the street, there is no awkwardness between us and they still think that I am this polite, unintruding, self-sufficient person who has strict personal space boundaries and generally does not need anyone. I avoid such meetings though as I know full well that a past obsession can be rekindled.

Last edited by Severus on 19 Oct 2010, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2010, 5:11 am

I think hollywood today has a big hand in 'training' youngsters in general on how to obsess. Harry Potter, Twilight... etc. But then toy manufactures had a part even earlier than that with GI joe'/transformers (boys), my little ponies/cabbage patch kids/strawberry shortcake (girls) and of course Michael Jackson fever in the early eighties.

Are these things that train young minds to obsess so that when kids become teenagers they naturally obsess over the opposite sex/other? Or am I wrong?

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 10:03 am

[quote="Severus"]
For all I know, when I meet any of them on the street, there is no awkwardness between us and they still think that I am this polite, unintruding, self-sufficient person who has strict personal space boundaries and generally does not need anyone.[quote]

I totally relate to that. I am known to guard my personal space and not be touchy feely and I am self-sufficient and appear not to need anyone. But I am totally obsessing about a friend of mine. I have no idea whether he knows or not. I feel like I can't contain this feeling inside of my skin to the point where I feel that everyone must know about it, but in reality, I don't think anyone, especially him, can tell that I feel like this. And I think to myself that he can't possibly be feeling this obsessed about me. Although, he is the only person in our group of friends that I have asked for a hug from, whereas I normally shy away from hugs. When I said to him, "don't I get a hug," when he hugged everyone goodbye the other day I suddenly realised that I never ever want hugs and that was the moment I knew that I had signalled how I felt to everyone in the room. Although only those who know me well would have picked up on that. He gave me an unasked for hug when I met him the other day and it was the bestest hug ever:)

Someone said something earlier about obsession turning into something dark. That has happened to me. I seem to get wrapped up in all the emotions and it turns into something unhealthy and ugly simply I think because I don't know how to deal with the way I feel. there is a danger of my present obsession turning this way because I don't think I know how to act on it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 12:58 pm

Having an obsession with people is not very ''abnormal'' because most NTs do aswell. My auntie keeps having a neighbour knocking round her flat and asking her out, and she keeps saying she's not interested. But he won't let up. Every time she comes out her front door he comes out his front door and walks to his car, just so he can try to chat her up again. And she says to me that he's getting obsessed.

Also, my NT colleague has split up from his wife, and she doesn't fancy him and has found a new bloke, and now he's spending every minute when he's not at work literally stalking her, as though he's become completely obsessed. And she's now laughing at him.

My obsessions/special interests only involve people - I don't have special interests with facts or objects or films or video-games or other things like that. My obsessions are just the men I fancy - I go a bit over the top with them, but NTs around me doesn't seem to think it's weird as much as they do with my Autistic friend's obsession, which is video-games and numbers.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:28 pm

Whoever that one girl is that is for me, out there, had better obsess about me, after she's gotten to know me... and the more she would start liking me, the more she would obsess. If not, she just wouldn't love me enough.

Obsession with your other half doesn't have to be bad in any way. If it's a girl who obsesses about the other, it's awfully cute, in fact... and cuteness in a girl is essential to me.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2010, 2:48 pm

I was obsessed with my 1st ex for a time...never my 2nd ex though. I do have a slight obsession with someday being in another coupledom.