Darn it - women flirt with me and don't even see it!

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 3:12 pm

Grisha wrote:
Bataar wrote:
emlion wrote:
oh me too.
if someone points it out to me i'm like 'oh yeah...' but i can't ever see it on my own!
i just think they're being friendly.

That's how it is with me. Some friends and I were at a bar/restaurant one time and I went up to get a new drink. While I was waiting, this woman comes up and asks me how tall I am. (I'm 6'6" so this isn't entirely uncommon). I told her that and she made some comment on it which lead me to make a joke about it. When I went back to my table, my friends were shocked that I didn't get her number. I was like, "Why would I have her number? she just wanted to know how tall I was."

Even when I look back at it with hindsight, I still don't see what she was doing that was so obvious to my friends that she was supposedly sending signals to me. That was before I knew about Aspergers so it didn't occur to me to dig deeper at the time.

So we're supposed to think that anytime a woman asks you a question she's flirting with you?

Even if you ignore the fact that that idea is completely ridiculous, how would you go from answering a question to getting digits?

Sometimes the reason you can't tell someone is flirting with you is because they actually aren't - your friends were joking maybe?

All I know is that it was obvious to both of my friends she was flirtting. Maybe it was in the body language. I don't know. I can't read body language any better than I can read Mandarin Chinese :)

AspieGenius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2011, 4:25 pm

Hi all, thanks for all your views on the subject, here's a twist....

Sometimes I am told that I myself have been flirting with someone, now that is where the real trouble begins.

Example:
Today I went to get my new glasses from the shop. As I put them on, my vision clearly improves and I look at the girl and say "Wauv, you look really good now"... menaing, that the glasses where just perfect. She instantly became all red in the face, and even I understood that I may have sent the wrong message there, so I immediately looked away, just to get into even more trouble... Next to me was a pretty girl and her mother, and they where trying on different products. The mother kept encouraging the daugther and telling her that these and these looked nice. Suddenly I found myself looking straight at the girl and look her in the eyes and say, "those look really good on you"... She instantly smiled at me and now even I knew that she thought I was flirting with her, when all my intention was, was to help her decide.

Anyone get in trouble saying stuff they mean in one way and that can be interpret otherwise as flirting?

I would LOVE to master that flirting stuff, so any pointers would be nice :-)

/AG

AspieGenius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

emlion wrote:
men aren't usually that subtle with flirting.
it's more 'my face is up here' :roll:
>.<

Hi Emilion,

That one is actually not that difficult to comprehend. There is a difference between men and women on their spatial perception, which goes like this:

Men where hunters, back in the day, so their brain and sight where preprogrammed to search one area at a time to seek out prey. When a man looks at a woman, he will "discover" her piece by piece, from top to bottom, to see if she is indeed a woman. BUT men also have a an innate interest in "boobs" since it is something that is very fascinating to them, because they do not have them themselves. Some guys gets all weird over boobs and can't stop looking, but that is just rude behaviour and cannot be excused.

Women have periferal sight, meaning that they can "check out the whole package" from head to toe, in one glance. Studies show that women are just as "bad" as men, and they too check out the crouch of the man, to check to see if he indeed is a man. But since no one can see where they are looking, because they are looking everywhere at the same time, the don't get "caught".

These behaviours are hardwired in our Limbic System, i believe, and is out of our control, it is the animal in us that control this :-)

Ever seen a man standing in front of the fridge asking he wife where the blo.... butter is? Only to see her go right up to it and picking it out, handing it over with a grimace telling him "Come on.....". Same reason as the above.

/AG

Papa_Smurf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

I'm terrible at picking up on flirting too, but a buddy gave me some decent advice:

1. If her behavior is pretty different (in a positive sense) than that of other women, she's probably interested

2. If your gut tells you she's flirting, she probably is

3. When in doubt, assume she's flirting, think of it as a low-risk, high-reward thing

Honorable mention: In my experience, if a girl offers you her number without you asking for it, you're pretty much golden (her interest is about as subtle as a brick to the head in several aspects by this point anyway)

"The superior man is the providence of the inferior. He is eyes for the blind, strength for the weak, and a shield for the defenseless. He stands erect by bending above the fallen. He rises by lifting others."

- Robert G. Ingersoll

AspieGenius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2011, 5:29 pm

Papa_Smurf, thanks for the guide, very useful advice actually!

Not being an American, but an European, that "giving you her number" routine is not very helpful, since that is not THE clue in many European cultures, so I need to figure out another clue, that I can use instead.

Any Europeans able to give me the "continental clue"?

/AG

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:07 pm

emlion wrote:
could be flirting like 'gosh you're sooo tall.'

Is 'gosh you're sooo short' flirting?

If so, then I am the King of the Flirted.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:25 pm

When people would flirt with me it would fly over my head. I wouldn't notice until the situation was over. Now I'm better at detecting it and I'm a huge flirt when I'm really attracted to someone.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 6:27 pm

AspieGenius wrote:
Ever seen a man standing in front of the fridge asking he wife where the blo.... butter is? Only to see her go right up to it and picking it out, handing it over with a grimace telling him "Come on.....". Same reason as the above.

/AG

:lol: So that's why my husband can never find stuff in the fridge. :lol:

(And you are absolutely right and that's exactly how it happens.)

Falcon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2011, 8:28 pm

Your not the only one, my whole life I get home at night and only then when I process the days events realize some woman was flirting with me.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

AspieGenius wrote:
blo.... butter

What's blo.... butter?

Rusty0918
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2011, 12:06 am

I had a lot of good-natured ribbing from the opposite gender, but AS can make you feel blind to what they're really doing.

AspieGenius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Mar 2011, 12:33 am

Moog wrote:
AspieGenius wrote:
blo.... butter

What's blo.... butter?

bloody butter :-)

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 12:48 am

I am pretty oblivious to the flirting. Sometimes I analyze the encounters afterwards and kick myself for not seeing what should have been blatant.

Just yesterday, after serving a customer, a co-worker asked me "did you get her number?" and I'm like, "huh?"

Moog wrote:
AspieGenius wrote:
blo.... butter

What's blo.... butter?

I think the husband is a closeted vampire. He has blood stashed in the fridge but isn't ready to reveal the secret to his wife yet. He almost let it slip.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only one.
Just yesterday, this girl was flirting with me in spanish class, but I didn't realize it until after class when a friend pointed it out to me.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 1:47 am

I have had a woman flirt with me and I thought she was being mean to me so I started being mean back so she left. As soon as she was gone my friends came over to me saying what the f**k was that? I am known by friends as being super oblivious to the advances of women. I once went to a bar with my friends when I was in my 20's a women was flirting with me and I did not even know she was talking to me so I when I left the bar her friends started messing with me asking me if I was gay and who do you think you are sort of thing. :roll: I wonder if I hurt anyone's feelings. Now that I am fat and jobless I do not have women flirting with me so I guess I solved that problem. :lol:

Even if I knew I was being flirted with I probably would not act on it. I do not like to be touched or looked at. I even feel uncomfortable talking on the phone.

Last edited by Todesking on 04 Mar 2011, 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 1:52 am

TheWeirdPig wrote:
emlion wrote:
men aren't usually that subtle with flirting.
it's more 'my face is up here' :roll:
>.<

I've been told this by women. But really, I'm not staring at your chest; I'm avoiding eye contact. I suppose that's just one more Aspie trait that I didn't think of before.

I was accused of this so much when I was younger that my teachers did everything they could to get me to stare at people's noses especially women.