How much do you normally spend on a date?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I wouldn't start spending more than 30-40$ until I thought it was getting serious. I can't articulate why, but I feel it would almost be a bit of a faux pas to spend a lot of money if it's still in the casual, testing-the-waters phase. In fact, if she didn't seem too excited to go on the date to begin with, I probably would change my mind even if I was the one who initiated things. Easy come, easy go, and don't go all in up front. :o

Smart... smart. At very least, buying something from Starbucks will be loads cheaper than dinner, with at least as much conversation!

Of course, I feel so damned revolting I can't forsee any more dates in the near future anyway.

...gad... crashing hard.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 11:52 pm

I'm kind of a miser and I've not really had very many dates. I don't like to spend money. Probably the most expensive date I had was when a girl spent the night in my apartment, and I figured she would not want to share my towel (I only had one), so I got a new one, and I cleaned my room thoroughly, and I bought the type of food that she likes to eat so that my room mate could cook it (yea, I know that's really cheap, but he's a better cook than me). She was a sweetheart and I could never think of enough ways to pay her back for all the stuff she did for me. For instance, when she noticed once that I didn't own any cooking utensils and ate only bread and uncooked vegetables, she took me shopping and brought me along to buy a pot, a plate, and a cup, and a skillet. She insisted on buying a couple of those things herself, but I don't remember which. She also gave me a cutting board. So then I learned to cook and my health improved. Actually it's not true that that's the most expensive date. Some other dates had travel costs, and once I went on a date in Copenhagen where we split the costs, but it was still very expensive because everything is expensive there.

Anyway, the topic is supposed to be how much you spend on a date. I grudged the first pack of condoms I bought; I'm that kind of guy. Losing my virginity did not seem to be worth $10.

I think part of the reason is that I'm not financially independent yet. My parents are getting me through college, and it doesn't seem reasonable for me to spend more money than I need, because all of it comes in one way or another from them. I moved back in with my parents because it would be cheaper for them and I thought it seemed absurd to pretend to be independent when I wasn't. I plan on moving out as soon as I get an income, which will probably be 1-2 years.

That was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. I got distracted, but I think what I wrote is worth something, so I'll leave it there.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:21 am

I've never even tasted lobster before. I can't even remember eating crab let alone lobster. Not my thing.

I don't think anyone would suggest lobster dinner as a first date unless they were loaded with cash and could afford to throw it around like that.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:38 am

blue_bean wrote:
I've never even tasted lobster before. I can't even remember eating crab let alone lobster. Not my thing.

They're bottom-feeders... if tuna is chicken of the sea, lobster & crab would be vermin like rats. They were once so plentiful they were considered "poor man's food" and employers had to be forced to not feed it to their employees more than ~3 times a week. ;) Then they became a delicacy(???) I think people only say it's great because they're mentally conditioned to think it's so wonderful.

Quote:
I don't think anyone would suggest lobster dinner as a first date unless they were loaded with cash and could afford to throw it around like that.

I certainly never suggested it either - we'd chatted on OKcupid quite a bit and met for dinner. It wasn't craaazy expensive but she just ordered without asking if it was okay, etc. With her nonchalant attitude towards ordering one of the most expensive items on the menu, I thought she might offer to pay her half like better dates had done in the past.
When the bill came, she just looked at me, smiled and tilted her head. (I tried very hard to be gracious, as the date otherwise seemed to be going well) - she certainly flirted some and mentioned she was having a good time. Once the bill was paid we chatted in the parking lot a few minutes longer, where the "I just didn't feel a spark" speech came and she informed me there would be no second date - "bye!" *giggle*

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:23 am

BlueMax wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
^^^ Best of all, you know you won't be going home alone after wasting $100+ on a date. ;)

"Oh, I just didn't feel a spark. Thanks for the lobster..... (sucker!)"

Sometimes people genuinely don't feel a spark, you know.

Who's forcing you to go out for lobster on a first date anyway?

While non-spark is certainly true... way to make their rotten actions MY "issue" for being naive enough to be suckered. I'm just going to have to start dutching for first dates from now on... two in a row where they all but said aloud, if she's not going to be on a hot date with a sexy man, she might as well get fatty dork-boy to buy her a good dinner before she disappears. If you aren't feeling a spark, say so BEFORE ordering dinner on someone else's nickel (expensive or otherwise!)

If it were me, I'd be holding off on spending large amounts of money on them until I was sure they were worth it.
It can be hard to tell if there is a spark until you meet someone in person, which is what I was trying to get at in my previous post: sometimes people are rotten people just out to get a free dinner, but sometimes they just hope for a spark that doesn't manifest.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:36 am

blue_bean wrote:

They both taste the same--nothing special. Butter sauce improves things a bit.

However, the big shellfish down here are shrimp and crawfish. Describing how to eat crawfish is a hilarious.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 12:26 am

answeraspergers wrote:
The question was to the OP but A date night is not the same as a date.

A date night is a night on which you have a date.

answeraspergers wrote:
The whole dynamics are radically altered by being MARRIED to them - that is obvious.

Oh, really? Tell us all about YOUR marriage, then.

answeraspergers wrote:
Dating, a form of courtship which may include any social activity undertaken by, typically, two persons with the aim of assessing each other's suitability as a partner.

Correction: Dating is a form of courtship that includes any social activity undertaken by two persons with the aim of establishing stronger romantic connections in the hope of expressing those connections through sex.

You don't get many dates, do you?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 1:25 am

Fnord - I knew your mind was a small enough place to generate this type of response.

Is being married a credential? No! Only a clueless male would believe so.

Correct the dictionary - do want an address to write to about it?

about my dates? LMAO!! !

the negative presumption tactic you just used is laughable and very NT.