Page 3 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:23 pm

MR20 wrote:
I don't really mind stricter modding, but I really hope we don't get overly sensitive and start banning for every preconceived thing a person might find offensive.

This is supposed to a social helping forum for a lot of people that have been lacking in the social department all their lives. What people may perceive as "sexist" and "meanspirited" is probably just innocent cluelessness and ignorance. (to a lot of people that doesn't excuse it, but still)

A lot of these people have these warped views due to excessive bullying, extreme social isolation due to being cast out or not even allowed in most social circles, or just plain disadvantages due aspergers/austism growing up.

I just hope we remain cognizant and empathetic to a lot of these people, and don't react with vengeance/emotion whenever someone says something you may disagree with.

A lot of us need help, and this is one of the very few places on the web where there are people like us in abundance.

Absolutely. I wish there was more compassion and less chastising of suffering people and pressuring of the mods to cut off their possibly only means of support. Possibly these people might move their love and dating issues to the haven but I fear that they will be followed even there.

Last edited by vickygleitz on 29 May 2014, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:33 pm

As this process goes forward, we may find that acquired and maximized sensitivities may have a downside. Cultivating and nurturing sensitivities is not purely beneficial.

Last edited by SoftwareEngineer on 29 May 2014, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 10:58 am

tarantella64 wrote:
Okay, so I talked to the director of the women's center here about helping us come up with a reasonable policy for moderating sexism (I imagine the same policy can be used as a template for moderating other -isms). She thought it sounded like a great project, and says she's in. A little about her background and what the center does (I have her permission to tell these stories):

She is sensitive to issues to do with life on the spectrum. For her, that awareness and training started in childhood; her brother has Down Syndrome, and at the time, where they grew up, the schools put Down's and autistic kids in the same classrooms; her brother had many autistic classmates. So she was exposed to autism quite early, at a time when that was unusual, and is sensitive to disability generally.

The women's center does counseling for those who can't afford a counselor or want a feminist orientation; the counselors are doctoral students in psychology, usually. The director helps train them in counseling autistic clients. She also helps the local rape crisis center with programming/counseling for autistic victims of sexual abuse.

As for men's programming, the women's center has run programs with a volunteer group of men for six years. They do anti-violence programs, bystander training, and programs for the fraternities, and have some considerable background in social pressures on men, particularly to do with gender policing (men pressuring men to "be male" in particular and narrow ways).

So, to get started then: she likes the idea of coming up with concrete examples of "sexist/not sexist and why, also why it matters", and she very much likes the idea of inviting questions about sexism and moderation of sexism from forumites to help generate a useful set of examples. So go for it -- ask away, think about (and/or post) your own thoughts about those questions, and we'll see what she's got to add to the process. I bet we can come up with something useful -- and, per SoftwareEngineer and others, educational -- by the end of the summer.

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist? The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Last edited by Jono on 29 May 2014, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:06 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I guess I don't understand why it is so hard to say, "the women I've met seem to all prefer tall men" instead of "women prefer tall men." Traditionally, that is ALL a poster has had to do here to keep from upsetting anyone. COUCH the phrases, keep them unique to your personal experience, and use language that makes it clear you realize you could have misunderstood what was going on.

That wouldn't make sense if you are referring to a particular study's conclusion.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:43 am

vickygleitz wrote:

Absolutely. I wish there was more compassion and less chastising of suffering people and pressuring of the mods to cut off their possibly only means of support. Possibly these people might move their love and dating issues to the haven but I fear that they will be followed even there.

The problem is, this isn't just a support forum for men. There are women here too, and constantly being subjected to mass negative generalizations isn't "supportive" to them. I don't see how being accused of being materialistic/shallow/greedy/sluts/only dating "jerks" is particularly "supportive" to autistic women.

I'm "supportive" to lonely, suffering people to the point where their frustrations boil over into blatant sexism. At that point, I alert the mods.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:06 pm

Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Okay, so I talked to the director of the women's center here about helping us come up with a reasonable policy for moderating sexism (I imagine the same policy can be used as a template for moderating other -isms). She thought it sounded like a great project, and says she's in. A little about her background and what the center does (I have her permission to tell these stories):

She is sensitive to issues to do with life on the spectrum. For her, that awareness and training started in childhood; her brother has Down Syndrome, and at the time, where they grew up, the schools put Down's and autistic kids in the same classrooms; her brother had many autistic classmates. So she was exposed to autism quite early, at a time when that was unusual, and is sensitive to disability generally.

The women's center does counseling for those who can't afford a counselor or want a feminist orientation; the counselors are doctoral students in psychology, usually. The director helps train them in counseling autistic clients. She also helps the local rape crisis center with programming/counseling for autistic victims of sexual abuse.

As for men's programming, the women's center has run programs with a volunteer group of men for six years. They do anti-violence programs, bystander training, and programs for the fraternities, and have some considerable background in social pressures on men, particularly to do with gender policing (men pressuring men to "be male" in particular and narrow ways).

So, to get started then: she likes the idea of coming up with concrete examples of "sexist/not sexist and why, also why it matters", and she very much likes the idea of inviting questions about sexism and moderation of sexism from forumites to help generate a useful set of examples. So go for it -- ask away, think about (and/or post) your own thoughts about those questions, and we'll see what she's got to add to the process. I bet we can come up with something useful -- and, per SoftwareEngineer and others, educational -- by the end of the summer.

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist. The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Do you think the dynamics of the interactions and exchanges had anything to do with the path of the thread? Do you think there were primary and secondary factors?

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2014, 12:12 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
As this process goes forward, we may find that acquired and maximized sensitivities may have a downside. Cultivating and nurturing sensitivities is not purely beneficial.

You would be on my watch list for sure. Looks like you have zero sensitivity.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:27 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

The problem is, this isn't just a support forum for men. There are women here too, and constantly being subjected to mass negative generalizations isn't "supportive" to them. I don't see how being accused of being materialistic/shallow/greedy/sluts/only dating "jerks" is particularly "supportive" to autistic women.

I'm "supportive" to lonely, suffering people to the point where their frustrations boil over into blatant sexism. At that point, I alert the mods.

If a person posts something that offends you but isn't hate speech, is it your responsibility to ask the person to change to his or her behavior? the mods responsibility? or both?

This is a place for people with AS. The majority of people diagnosed with AS are male and have extremely poor social skills (which means they probably have a long history of rejection from women). A certain level of misogyny is to be expected considering the population of people who use this site. I am not saying that it is right. I am saying that you are going to fail miserably at eliminating the misogynistic attitudes displayed by many WP members.

Many of the examples that you mentioned are certainly sexist, but they seem to be analogous to statements such as "guys only like b*****s" or "guys are only after one thing" or "guys are dogs." Is this hate speech or is this someone venting after being hurt by a member of the opposite sex?

If statements like this offend you, by all means offer a rebuttal. But is a moderator obligated to step in at this point? I guess what I am saying is where do you draw the line? It is unrealistic to expect moderators to police every sexist comment that is made. At the same time, I have seen some truly disturbing things posted on this forum, things that definitely need to be addressed and shut down as soon as possible.

Being a moderator here must be a tough job!

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:35 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:

This.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:36 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:

Can we please not have lists?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:37 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist. The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Do you think the dynamics of the interactions and exchanges had anything to do with the path of the thread? Do you think there were primary and secondary factors?

No, I don't think that the exchanges had anything to do with those misogynistic statements because they were general sexist statements about women and not in response to any specific post. They seemed to of reflected what he actually thought.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:43 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:

Can we please not have lists?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJHRRu7S_Q[/youtube]Yeah no lists or the tarantula will you you like this mouse hehe!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:45 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

If a person posts something that offends you but isn't hate speech, is it your responsibility to ask the person to change to his or her behavior? the mods responsibility? or both?

This is a place for people with AS. The majority of people diagnosed with AS are male and have extremely poor social skills (which means they probably have a long history of rejection from women). A certain level of misogyny is to be expected considering the population of people who use this site. I am not saying that it is right. I am saying that you are going to fail miserably at eliminating the misogynistic attitudes displayed by many WP members.

Many of the examples that you mentioned are certainly sexist, but they seem to be analogous to statements such as "guys only like b*****s" or "guys are only after one thing" or "guys are dogs." Is this hate speech or is this someone venting after being hurt by a member of the opposite sex?

If statements like this offend you, by all means offer a rebuttal. But is a moderator obligated to step in at this point? I guess what I am saying is where do you draw the line? It is unrealistic to expect moderators to police every sexist comment that is made. At the same time, I have seen some truly disturbing things posted on this forum, things that definitely need to be addressed and shut down as soon as possible.

The bolded boils down to "just the way it is", which hasn't turned out to be a strong argument against lots of social change.

Yes, the majority of diagnosed are men. Why? Maybe because it is more prevalent among men. Maybe (and there's plenty in the women's subforum about this) it's because psychologists and teachers aren't so adept at spotting it in girls and women, and the presentation isn't stereotypical to "boy with autism".

In a broader sense, though, it doesn't matter. If women, Jews, people of color, Swiss nationals are minorities on a forum, civility and general supportiveness both demand that the environment be welcoming to them, too. Now if Alex wants to rebrand WP as the forum for misogynist men with autism, then that's something else. But as long as this is supposed to be open to all, it ought to support all.

Also, you're assuming that only women are offended by misogyny, which isn't true at all.

As for eliminating misogyny amongst all WPers: that isn't the goal. The only thing there is for mods to do is to moderate what's on the screen, not what's in people's hearts. If the rule is, "Do not show up here and be chronic with the sexist remarks or you'll be banned," and the user wants to stay on WP, betcha the user will get more careful about making sexist remarks here. Might even trouble to learn what they are, why the remarks are sexist, and why it's a problem.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:54 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

The bolded boils down to "just the way it is", which hasn't turned out to be a strong argument against lots of social change.

Yes, the majority of diagnosed are men. Why? Maybe because it is more prevalent among men. Maybe (and there's plenty in the women's subforum about this) it's because psychologists and teachers aren't so adept at spotting it in girls and women, and the presentation isn't stereotypical to "boy with autism".

In a broader sense, though, it doesn't matter. If women, Jews, people of color, Swiss nationals are minorities on a forum, civility and general supportiveness both demand that the environment be welcoming to them, too. Now if Alex wants to rebrand WP as the forum for misogynist men with autism, then that's something else. But as long as this is supposed to be open to all, it ought to support all.

Also, you're assuming that only women are offended by misogyny, which isn't true at all.

As for eliminating misogyny amongst all WPers: that isn't the goal. The only thing there is for mods to do is to moderate what's on the screen, not what's in people's hearts. If the rule is, "Do not show up here and be chronic with the sexist remarks or you'll be banned," and the user wants to stay on WP, betcha the user will get more careful about making sexist remarks here. Might even trouble to learn what they are, why the remarks are sexist, and why it's a problem.

Do you have an answer to my question?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp6081051.html#6081051

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:04 pm

Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Do you have an answer to my question?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp6081051.html#6081051

the difference between ranting about one's past experience and spewing sexist hate is quite easy to spot, actually. i will demonstrate:

a) i have known some abusive men in my life--i have been sexually assaulted by men, psychologically and emotionally abused by them, and harassed innumerable times in the street by men. those men that i have encountered that have treated me that way are awful people.

b) men suck. all they want to do is abuse and dominate women to make themselves feel better. i can't trust men at all anymore because they all want to hurt me and use me and i won't have that anymore.

example a) is a personal rant about my own experience and treatment. notice i specifically only talk about the men i have encountered personally. this kind of comment is acceptable and would be taken by anyone reading it as obviously relating to my own experience only.

example b) is sexist and should not be tolerated. i took my own experience and extrapolated it to include all men, and then tarred them all with the same very negative brush. example b) is the sort of comment that should not be tolerated.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:05 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
This is a place for people with AS. The majority of people diagnosed with AS are male and have extremely poor social skills (which means they probably have a long history of rejection from women). A certain level of misogyny is to be expected considering the population of people who use this site.

Umm, no, it isn't. Autism isn't an excuse to be misogynistic, racist, classist, ect.

Quote:

They're mass negative generalizations exclaimed after being hurt by the opposite sex. And it's not acceptable.

Quote:

If I see something that steps over the line, I'm going to report it to the moderators. It's up to them to decide if it's within the boundaries set down by the policies of this site. That's why they're moderators.

I really don't think identifying sexist statements is nearly as difficult as some people are making it out to be.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)