How do you decide if someone is right for you?

Page 3 of 16 [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 6:52 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It would take WAY longer than 5 minutes for me to ascertain if a person is a good fit (as per my stated criteria) and someone I can trust. I’m more about being friends with someone for a while before dating.

Of course, but the filtration process starts in the first 5 minutes

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 6:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
It would take WAY longer than 5 minutes for me to ascertain if a person is a good fit (as per my stated criteria) and someone I can trust. I’m more about being friends with someone for a while before dating.

Of course, but the filtration process starts in the first 5 minutes

Meh. 5 minutes isn’t much time. As I said, I’m more about being friends with someone for a while before dating. Sometimes I can hit it off with someone as I get to know them.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 10 Sep 2024, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 6:58 pm

Paraphrased

TwilightPrincess wrote:
make me laugh, kind, empathetic, and interesting.
(Not) conservative, religious, or bigoted.
Genuinely liking me

Seriously... How many questions would it take to get an inkling of these answers?
The last is the only one requiring ongoing analysis

Last edited by Carbonhalo on 10 Sep 2024, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:00 pm

Yes, as I said, much of that would take WAY longer than 5 minutes for me to figure out. For example, a person could SEEM kind and empathetic in 5 minutes without actually being either of those things. Been there, experienced that.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:05 pm

Which brings me back to trusting your own analysis

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:08 pm

Carbonhalo wrote:
Which brings me back to trusting your own analysis
It’s not just about trusting my analysis, though. It’s about genuine safety concerns among other things. 5 minutes is hardly any time. I wouldn’t be comfortable enough or like someone enough to date them until I got to know them better. Being friends for days, weeks, or months first is more my speed.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mikurotoro92 wrote:
Sex is certainly part of the determination process but it cannot be the SOLE facet or factor to base the success of a romantic relationship on!

Character has to play a role too

Yes sure, but have you heard of speed dating? the concept came from data suggesting that men and women make a decision if somebody is right for them within 5 minutes. Of course couples need time to vet each other but subconsciously the decision happened without us knowing (our internal radar).

Of course

But is 5 minutes REALLY enough time to ascertain if someone is right for you?

Or do you need to be given more time to determine that?

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:21 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Yes, as I said, much of that would take WAY longer than 5 minutes for me to figure out. For example, a person could SEEM kind and empathetic in 5 minutes without actually being either of those things. Been there, experienced that.

The last 4 words suggest you once trusted your rapid assessment

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:24 pm

Carbonhalo wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

The last 4 words suggest you once trusted your rapid assessment

It’s more complex than that, and I do not feel like detailing my trauma history here. I’ve always preferred being friends with someone first. There’s nothing wrong with that.

I don’t get why people care. I can have whatever preferences I damn well please. There’s no right or wrong when it comes to what we prefer…within reason and the law.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 7:33 pm

TP...You're absolutely right.
Everyone does things differently,
Life has a tendency to adjust us away from a standard set of parameters if there ever were such things.
But it seems possible to me that a mental rapid trust assessment module exists and an average first assessment time seems to be five minutes.
My apologies for using your posts as a fulcrum to lever my brain to explain it thus

Bee.. I told you this would get interesting

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 1:57 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
But is 5 minutes REALLY enough time to ascertain if someone is right for you?

Or do you need to be given more time to determine that?

5 mins? Probably not. We are all complicated creatures. Understanding our individual idiosyncrasies take's time plus adjusting to changing circumstances as they happen. For example you start dating a really nice, quiet dude who is a professional and earns big bucks, he's had it easy all his life. then his company lays off staff and he's out on the street. Suddenly he doesn't know how to handle unemployment, he starts drinking and becomes violent, Could his g/f have seen that coming?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 7:27 am

Carbonhalo wrote:
Bee.. I told you this would get interesting

And you were right! :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 7:49 am

For myself, I think I can tell pretty quickly, though I'm sure I could be fooled by someone who is slick at pretending to be nice and it might take time for me to figure it out. Fortunately that hasn't happened to me. I don't exactly know how to describe it, but I do get a sense pretty quickly if I like someone, and if they like me.

Rhapsody
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2024, 11:56 pm

I have zero practical sense if someone is right for me. Which I think encompasses a lot of the problems I have dating? And why I keep ending up with people who mistreat me despite being so aware of the statistic involving autistic women and actively trying to avoid abusers. Anybody got a formula beyond pleasant and not running away I can apply? Because my current one is obviously not working :skull:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 12:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I assume this question is for females. For males, I'm afraid its rather simple.

I don't think so.

Oh brother, Bee's question was "Is this person right for me". For a male the algorithm is simple, nice pleasant personality, she isn't running away, she could be the one.

This might be why I've heard so many men say "as soon as I met her I knew I was gonna marry her". I can't remember ever hearing a woman say this

For me it's a rational choice to be with someone. So if they're successful, have their own gaff, are independent, can look after themselves and they must already have a social life and be able to hold down relationships and friendships on their own without me. I guess I just don't want someone who depends on me in any way. I'm not gonna be someone's mother

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 1:08 am

Rhapsody wrote:
I have zero practical sense if someone is right for me. Which I think encompasses a lot of the problems I have dating? And why I keep ending up with people who mistreat me despite being so aware of the statistic involving autistic women and actively trying to avoid abusers. Anybody got a formula beyond pleasant and not running away I can apply? Because my current one is obviously not working :skull:
Unfortunately I don't think there's a formula, but I do think it's hard for dirtbags to pretend to be kind indefinitely. Look for kindness, not just towards you but how do they treat waitstaff in restaurants, for instance? Be on the lookout for flaws in their armor.