Doubting your suitability as a partner

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 3:23 pm

Yeah it really is a game based on uncertainity....no matter how much you study and analyze on how to win.

Some people have all the luck in their cards and bonus scores....:(

DieMenschMaschine
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2009, 6:41 pm

I was married but not no long. Me wife divorced me after 17 years of marriage. ME and wife had 2 children. Me 2 kid has asperger and depression and one has scizophrania. Me oldest child has dual citizenship of Germany and USA but me ex wife has custody because USA court say she get custody. I lose a lot of money in stock and market and it not all my fault. But me ex wife divorce me and has custody of me children. She is american and I not. I german.

Me sorry for poor english.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

DieMenschMaschine wrote:
I was married but not no long. Me wife divorced me after 17 years of marriage. ME and wife had 2 children. Me 2 kid has asperger and depression and one has scizophrania. Me oldest child has dual citizenship of Germany and USA but me ex wife has custody because USA court say she get custody. I lose a lot of money in stock and market and it not all my fault. But me ex wife divorce me and has custody of me children. She is american and I not. I german.

Your english isn't as bad as my german, I understand what you're saying. It sounds like she was more interested in the money and her kids (mostly the money I bet). I don't think you're to blame for that, you seem willing to do what it takes to make things work for your family, it sounds like she was being inconsiderate. Unless the man can show a good reason why the woman is an unfit mother, the US court system will usually rule in her favor. It must be hard to lose what you work for, I hope you can get it back. You seem to understand what your kids are going through, your ex had better be taking good care of those kids. I think you'd make a great american, you make more sense than lots of english speakers I know.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

Gromit wrote:
May I take a short break from the serious discussion to offer this?

Sorry, I just had to. It fits too well. Back to serious discussion and good advice now.

Sounds like the laws of thermodynamics:

First law: You can't win (conservation of energy)

Second law: You can't break even (irreversibility of entropy gains)

Third law: You can't quit the game (no absolute zero)

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Punny_Name
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2009, 8:19 pm

I think I'm far too boring and mean to be anybodys partner.

DieMenschMaschine
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2009, 12:26 am

MDD123 wrote:
DieMenschMaschine wrote:

Your english isn't as bad as my german, I understand what you're saying. It sounds like she was more interested in the money and her kids (mostly the money I bet). I don't think you're to blame for that, you seem willing to do what it takes to make things work for your family, it sounds like she was being inconsiderate. Unless the man can show a good reason why the woman is an unfit mother, the US court system will usually rule in her favor. It must be hard to lose what you work for, I hope you can get it back. You seem to understand what your kids are going through, your ex had better be taking good care of those kids. I think you'd make a great american, you make more sense than lots of english speakers I know.

Thank you. I worried me english writing hard to understand. I can speak american and british english good but just have trouble writing grammar english. Me no taught write english writing. I spell words properly my ex wife taught me basics of how to write in american english before me marry her. Me marry her but we marry on USA ground for her family and cost me family a lot of money to travel for me wedding. They no thaought me and ex wife marry in Germany but me ex wife wanted to get married on USA grounds and say her family wanted american wedding and say couldn't afford to travel to Germany. Now me now why because the law different. Alot of money was spent to pay for me wedding with we ex wife and she was pregnant with second child of mein. First child was born in Germany and he have dual citizenship. He may visit when he turn 18. I no allowed to have me son because me ex wife scared me not return him.

She blame me for everything that is wrong with our children because me family backround has mental emotionla history and not her. She spent me money but me not blame her for me going lose money. Me not provide wealthy american standard.

SOrry for poor english

DarthRic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2009, 6:40 pm

sunshower wrote:
Do you ever doubt your suitability as a life partner for someone in the future? I often do, I often wonder if I could inflict myself on someone like that for life, and whether I'd fail as a mother to any kids we might have.

I know this is not a very positive post from me, sorry :( but does anyone else worry about this? I worry about this a lot, I'd rather isolate myself and be alone forever than being a bad partner for someone else and ruining their life and the lives of our children by failing as a parent.

Please discuss, any viewpoints or insights on the issue are much appreciated.

while i realise at my age im hardly quialified to comment on such things, if you really love someone then surely the two of you find some way to make it work or some such? just my opinion

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 6:47 pm

yes. but I'm not all that interested in it anyway so it's no bother to me.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 9:05 pm

Alright, for all of you who doubt your suitability as a partner, here's something you should read:

BurningMoose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2009, 8:51 pm

As of right now, I am almost 22 years old, and have never had a girlfriend. The one who came close I ended up pushing away, which at the time I thought was because I didn't like her very much, but now realize it has a lot more to do with my fear of letting people get close to me. I have had success with women on the physical level, but each time I sleep with a girl, I expect it to turn into a relationship, and when I try to hang out with them again they act like I'm crazy or that I "should have known" all they wanted was sex. This has resulted in a lot of confusion and bitterness towards the whole relationship game, as I'm never sure how to tell whether a girl wants more than sex, wants a relationship, wants to be just friends...it's all so damn confusing, and I seem to fall into the same traps over and over again. I seriously doubt whether most women would be able to handle me as a partner, given my lack of communication skills and problems expressing interest and other emotions, but at the same time, I really want to share my life with someone. I don't know what to do anymore, so I've just decided to take this year off from dating (or trying to) and do other stuff with my life for a while. I'm working on getting in shape, sharpening my communication skills, and emotional management, and I figure that by the time I'm done with all that I'll have a much better chance of being able to find and maintain a healthy relationship.

hyder13
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2009, 9:51 pm

DieMenschMaschine wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
DieMenschMaschine wrote:

Thank you. I worried me english writing hard to understand. I can speak american and british english good but just have trouble writing grammar english. Me no taught write english writing. I spell words properly my ex wife taught me basics of how to write in american english before me marry her. Me marry her but we marry on USA ground for her family and cost me family a lot of money to travel for me wedding. They no thaought me and ex wife marry in Germany but me ex wife wanted to get married on USA grounds and say her family wanted american wedding and say couldn't afford to travel to Germany. Now me now why because the law different. Alot of money was spent to pay for me wedding with we ex wife and she was pregnant with second child of mein. First child was born in Germany and he have dual citizenship. He may visit when he turn 18. I no allowed to have me son because me ex wife scared me not return him.

She blame me for everything that is wrong with our children because me family backround has mental emotionla history and not her. She spent me money but me not blame her for me going lose money. Me not provide wealthy american standard.

SOrry for poor english

some advice, stop using "me" so much and replace it with "my". Me is dative while my is genitive(I know cases dont exist in English all that much but they do for some pronouns).

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:35 am

I don't doubt I know I'm not. :lol: I have had potential before I may just get there at some point.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 12:28 pm

sunshower wrote:
Do you ever doubt your suitability as a life partner for someone in the future? I often do, I often wonder if I could inflict myself on someone like that for life, and whether I'd fail as a mother to any kids we might have.

I know this is not a very positive post from me, sorry :( but does anyone else worry about this? I worry about this a lot, I'd rather isolate myself and be alone forever than being a bad partner for someone else and ruining their life and the lives of our children by failing as a parent.

Please discuss, any viewpoints or insights on the issue are much appreciated.

I'm only interested in casual sex with women, not the family or girlfriend thing.

matrixlover

28 Jun 2009, 2:18 pm

pschristmas wrote:
I talked about this with my therapist during our last visit. He agreed with me that I wouldn't be able to have a relationship with just any guy. He'd have to be very patient and be able to not take it personally when I just wanted to be left alone because it isn't just a preference with me, but a true need. I've tried changing myself in the past, too, to make up for what I saw as deficits in my own personality -- self-centeredness, lack of charity, lack of patience, etc. I end up going too far in the opposite direction and get taken advantage of horribly. :(

As a parent, though, I seem to have done an okay job, despite my failings. The kid seems to have turned out okay. :wink: She has a few complaints, but overall she says she agrees with me.

Regards,

Patricia

I do get taken advantage of and I put myself into lots of positions because "they" want me to enjoy their world. the only thing wrong with that frame of mind is thinking "they" are right. Evey time I think my husband would be better off without me, he reminds me that there are so many more things that are great about me, like my bluntness, honesty, reliability, predictability. There are some people who would be bored with that, but there are also people who seek out people just like us. Don't bother looking in the classically "normal" population, they may appreciate our quirks but wouldn't be able to live with us. However, there are other weirdos out there who are quite happy to be weird and wouldn't ever want us to be normal. Thank god.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 4:20 pm

I think I'd be ok as a partner, but I don't think there are that many people who would properly match my personality. It's very unconventional in some respects.

simmerskan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2009, 4:43 pm

CrinklyCrustacean wrote:
I think I'd be ok as a partner, but I don't think there are that many people who would properly match my personality. It's very unconventional in some respects.

Well, I can say that you´re not alone about thinking like this...