Anybody else shun their own race/culture?

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 10:11 pm

Watch "The Jersey Shore" or "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" some time... and no, not everyone from New Jersey is like that...

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 10:21 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Watch "The Jersey Shore" or "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" some time... and no, not everyone from New Jersey is like that...

hmmm, idk what channel Jersey Shore is on, & i've never even heard of that other one.

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2010, 12:16 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I'm from New Jersey, and I'm finding that I don't like the stereotypical New Jerseyan:

Does that count?

LOL.

You wouldn't understand; it's a Jersey thing!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

15 Oct 2010, 1:06 am

Seanmw wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

hmmm, idk what channel Jersey Shore is on, & i've never even heard of that other one.

It's a reality show on MTV. i never watched it but I heard about it in the news. They wanted a lot more money before they would sign new contracts & one of the guys was collecting unemployment while waiting for MTV to shell out more money

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:39 am

It seems like this isn't an uncommon thing among Aspies, especially those who are love-shy or male lesbians. Hurtful experiences often lead someone to shun their own race or culture, because they feel they're somehow not in sync with their own culture and that the culture has failed them. I was in that stage once until I realised, being an Aspie, I'd probably feel that way wherever I happened to be brought up. So in my case, I happen to have been brought up in the UK, and developed a feeling of alienation from UK culture.

On Tuesday I watched the Scotland v Spain match with such a guy who's an Aspie, and Scottish, and he was supporting Spain, and seemed to really feel it, because he has come to hate the Scottish people and culture.

It's even more common for love-shy people to feel alienated from their culture, than it is for Aspies, because they have failed in romantic relationships where they were brought up, they failed in that most desirable of goals. Just visit the love-shy.com forum and you'll see what I'm talking about. Some such people, unlucky in love in the developed world, found partners in countries such as Mexico and the Philippines, though this isn't because they're better cultures, it's a question of economics and human development.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:53 am

I feel like I don't belong to the mass culture of the place I was born and live in, so I try to distance myself. My ethnic group is the very quintessence of neurotypicism, everyone is expected to share their feelings with people, there is a lot of touching and the herd instinct is overdeveloped.
Distancing is actually very easy for me as I don't fit in any stereotype my own culture contains. It's more similar to the 'archeologist on Mars' feeling (if I may quote Temple Grandin) than any other description of how I manage to exist day after day in a very NT population.

VincenzoLuviner
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2010, 8:57 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
I wouldn't say I shun it (I'm very pro-white in the face of too much political correctness, or in the face of reverse racism, also known as "affirmative action"), but I don't stay in lockstep with it either, and I'm quick to criticize it.

--90% of my friends are some kind of ethnic minority

--Everyone I dated (and who I married) was non-white

--I enjoy ethnic cuisine far more than most white people, even by the L.A. standard.

--My musical tastes straddle multiple cultures and outlooks, and I'm not into Metal, Alternative, or any other stereotypically "white" musical genres.

My main issues with white culture have to do with some of the cultural snobbishness. I'm just as guilty of this, but I don't like being too insular. By the same token, I also don't like it when other ethnic groups are too insular -- this is America, we're supposed to blend, not be "separate but equal."

However, I also don't like it when white people (or any people) are too politically correct or too into the "white people are to blame for everything" mode that became so popular in the 1980s and beyond. I especially don't like the idolization of thug culture and ghetto black culture that started mainly in the 1990s here, though this has also happened in previous eras in this country (the 20s and the 60s). Putting an ethnic group on a pedestal that has had every chance to make things right with themselves, has had the country tripping over itself to please them for the past 50 years, yet still commits a disproportionate amount of crime, wallows in poverty and births out of wedlock (70% now, vs. 20% pre-Civil Rights), and if anything, has made the mainstream culture worse and trashier with their ghetto culture doesn't seem like a great thing to me. I don't think white guilt is a good reason to pander and turn a blind eye to self-inflicted problems in that community. Everyone else seems to be able to get with the program, why not this group?

Anyways, that rant aside, I don't particularly identify too much with other white people other than some common roots. Having married someone of another race and nationality has opened my eyes to the difficulties others face, and some of the wrong cultural assumptions we make.

P.S. -- I know Seattle has more African Americans than it used to, partly because of CA's third strike law, and partly because poorer immigrants pushed them out of neighborhoods here in L.A. (Compton is now a majority Latino), but have you actually been to Atlanta or the South at all? I can assure you that the African American folks you find out there will be a far cry from what you experience in Seattle, and not in a good way. I for one have been fairly shocked by the level of poverty and crime that the South has, even compared to the gang warfare and daily homicides we have out here in L.A. It really is the pits out there.

No man I've never been to the south, I've never been out of Washington State sans 5 hours in Vancouver during the Olympics, I wish I had some experience in other regions but I don't I didn't grow up in the type of family that I got to vacation to Disney World, I'm just sick of being jelous when I see others got to visit Atlanta, I wanna make it to the black mecca, I realize it's a lot harder down there and it'll be a culture shock, I realize a lot of people won't want me down there, I've taken everything into consideration.
The black people up here actually tend to be first generation or second generation Ethiopians and Eritreans and look more like middle easterners, a lot of Muslims which is even more of a hump than a normal black girl.
And for you guys talking about gangsta rap first of all gangsta rap is just a crappy rip off of reality rap from the East Coast, G Funk is the only decent west coast hip-hop IMO.
I don't mess with hood rap BTW, I like underground hardcore not that fake Scarface(Pacino not Brad Jordan) s**t.

I like s**t like the following:

Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaohs, R.A. the Rugged Man, Snowgoons, Bloodline, Celph Titled,
Necro, OuterSpace, Juju Mob, Chief Kamachi, Reef the Lost Cauze, Jus Allah, D12, Bone Thugs N' Harmony, Onyx, Ill Bill, La Coka Nostra.

Pistonhead wrote:
I shun all cultures and incorporate what little positive aspects they possess into my own uniqueness.

Love the post man, I feel the same way to an extent, I'd cactually consider myself about half black half white culture wise even though I'm full white biologically, I just really find myself attracted to black women.

leeloodallas wrote:
You don't sound as if you're trolling to me... everybody's got preferences...

I can't say that I shun my own race/culture, but I do feel like an outsider sometimes. I'm 22yo, black and I've always been told that I talk/act white because I don't use slang, know all the new rap songs, read a lot, etc. It's kind of annoying...

I am attracted to black, white, and some hispanic guys, especially nerdy ones. I also have a thing for potheads but that's a different story. There aren't many black males my age that I know with a black gf (all hispanic), and I can't help but wonder if I'm screwed in finding a black guy who won't automatically write me off due to ethnicity over personality. Maybe I should look elsewhere, like outside of FL or the south? Surely there are black male 20'something's into black female 20'somethings in other areas? I wouldn't mind dating any type of guy though, so long as they're cool and not super religious (don't mind it from a scholarly perspective but as a belief it turns me off).

Knowing myself, I'll probably forget all my preferences when I meet a guy I really like. Funny you mention Atlanta OP; I was just thinking about Atlanta as a dating place. Don't try FL though; it's a hoebag convention (guys and girls).

Well I'm a troll on a lot of other sites, I enjoy it but I'm being serious on this forum as my Aspergers, OCD and bi-polar are no joke to me.

Damn, you're a 22 year old black female Atheist who's open to dating white guys? Damn, that works for me.

Yeah Atlanta seems like it's kind of the place to be right now, especially for black people.

Wasn't planning on Florida, I hear the Snake problem is out of control, the economy is terrible and the hurricanes are a big problem, my cousin who has ties to the area said everyone's trying to get out.

Keeno wrote:
It seems like this isn't an uncommon thing among Aspies, especially those who are love-shy or male lesbians. Hurtful experiences often lead someone to shun their own race or culture, because they feel they're somehow not in sync with their own culture and that the culture has failed them. I was in that stage once until I realised, being an Aspie, I'd probably feel that way wherever I happened to be brought up. So in my case, I happen to have been brought up in the UK, and developed a feeling of alienation from UK culture.

On Tuesday I watched the Scotland v Spain match with such a guy who's an Aspie, and Scottish, and he was supporting Spain, and seemed to really feel it, because he has come to hate the Scottish people and culture.

It's even more common for love-shy people to feel alienated from their culture, than it is for Aspies, because they have failed in romantic relationships where they were brought up, they failed in that most desirable of goals. Just visit the forum and you'll see what I'm talking about. Some such people, unlucky in love in the developed world, found partners in countries such as Mexico and the Philippines, though this isn't because they're better cultures, it's a question of economics and human development.

I feel ya, seems like a lot of people interested in interracial dating have felt snubbed by their own race at one point
Male lesbians?
Are you saying these guys basically bought wives from Mexico and the Philippines? Cause the mail order bride thing isn't something I'm interested in.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm

VincenzoLuviner wrote:
I'm a 22 year old white virgin but I refuse to mess around with a female who isn't black and attractive, I adopted black culture so I've sworn off white women for a plethora of reasons, unfortunately I'm in the Seattle area so I'm pretty screwed, trying to get my ass to Atlanta as soon as I can, probably won't be able to swing it.

Anybody else having an obsession/fetish/serial type that makes life more difficult. It's pretty freaking discouraging to be either inferior or odd at everything in life.

I wish I was just a normal Seattle white boy drooling over Asian and white chicks, being an Atheist with black people doesn't help either.

No this isn't a troll thread.

Edit: I shoud ask if anyone else has race issues with themselves/those around them.

I prefer dating a person of a similar culture and ethnicity to my own. Not that I wouldn't consider someone of another culture or ethnicity but I generally find myself more attracted to my own.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

16 Oct 2010, 5:49 am

VincenzoLuviner wrote:
[I feel ya, seems like a lot of people interested in interracial dating have felt snubbed by their own race at one point
Male lesbians?
Are you saying these guys basically bought wives from Mexico and the Philippines? Cause the mail order bride thing isn't something I'm interested in.

A Male Lesbian is a guy who likes women but feels & relates to women better than men. I prefer the phrase Lesbian in a man's body to describe myself.

The mail order bride thing is very complicated, expensive & has lots of scams. I'd rather move to a country that's more conservative & traditional & has arranged marriages. The women who do the mail-order bride thing are extremely disillusioned with America. They think America is completely free & the roads are payed with free gold for the taking. The successful people here come from families who were successful or they lucked out & became celebrities

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 6:30 am

They didn't go for mail order brides. They simply went to those countries and found the environment more open and friendly for meeting women. It's just that they would tell you it is because they are traditional, non-feminist countries, while I'm sure it's simply a question of the relative economics and development of where they came from, and where they went to.

VincenzoLuviner
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2010, 10:29 pm

Bump. I was hoping to see some more responses after my most recent post.

Diamond_Head
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2010, 11:55 pm

Quote:
I'm a 22 year old white virgin but I refuse to mess around with a female who isn't black and attractive, I adopted black culture so I've sworn off white women for a plethora of reasons, unfortunately I'm in the Seattle area so I'm pretty screwed, trying to get my ass to Atlanta as soon as I can, probably won't be able to swing it.

I've been to Atlanta my fair share of times. The racial and ethnic communities in Atlanta still tend to stick largely to themselves and don't intermix as much as you'd think. The most interracial or interethnic couples I've ever seen has been in Miami, where it's more of a massive melting pot of all cultures intermixing, being the whole "Gateway to the Caribbean" and all. However, if as you mentioned you don't like the Scarface type, you may not enjoy being in the city that was the inspiration for the actual movie itself.

What prompted your sudden desire to switch your inner ethnic or racial identity? Believe me, wherever you go, most people of other ethnicities will still see you as a white guy, even if you happen to personally identify with a different racial or ethnic background.

Mikelight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2010, 12:19 am

I would suggest not going to Atlanta, ever. From what it sounds like everything you don't like about black culture is basically everything that most blacks in the south aspire to. Move to California or something.

VincenzoLuviner
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2010, 3:58 am

Mikelight wrote:
I would suggest not going to Atlanta, ever. From what it sounds like everything you don't like about black culture is basically everything that most blacks in the south aspire to. Move to California or something.

No, I'm zenophobic, California is too international.
I'm going to Atlanta, I want to see the black mecca. I'm sick of being jelous every time someone else gets to go, I've never been anywhere so I have nothing to base anything off of except word of mouth and internet research.

I think quoting a post I made on another board will explain it pretty well, I just gotta go, it's my only shot, I can't afford to go vacation.

"Staying in one place when you don't wanna be there is no way to live, unfortunately I've never been anywhere so I just have to by internet research and word of mouth, I'm a poor deprived child that never got to go through any rites of passage, I hated doing this "tell us about yourself" paper in elementary school because they asked us our favorite vacation spot, everybody else had stories about Disney Land, I had to just ask my older brother where people like to visit, he said Maui so I put that, not sure if he went there, I know he was at Disney World when my mom was preggers with me.
Poor me, I never get to go anywhere, my sister got to fly out for ice skating and my brother left for ballroom dancing lmao, my parents never bought me s**t except therapy, my sister gets thousands from my grandma to record a demo, my brother gets college money, I get pills free from the government, FML."

Diamond_Head wrote:
Quote:

I've been to Atlanta my fair share of times. The racial and ethnic communities in Atlanta still tend to stick largely to themselves and don't intermix as much as you'd think. The most interracial or interethnic couples I've ever seen has been in Miami, where it's more of a massive melting pot of all cultures intermixing, being the whole "Gateway to the Caribbean" and all. However, if as you mentioned you don't like the Scarface type, you may not enjoy being in the city that was the inspiration for the actual movie itself.

What prompted your sudden desire to switch your inner ethnic or racial identity? Believe me, wherever you go, most people of other ethnicities will still see you as a white guy, even if you happen to personally identify with a different racial or ethnic background.

Well it was a slow process since I was 12 man.
I know I'll always be seen as a white.

VincenzoLuviner
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2010, 4:02 am

BTW here's a video of me dissing some guys from a board I was banned from after this video, it'll help you guys take in my aura/swagger and show you how cool I am.

http://www.zshare.net/video/817657018f2e5c50/