Page 4 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:06 pm

tarantella64 wrote:

As for eliminating misogyny amongst all WPers: that isn't the goal. The only thing there is for mods to do is to moderate what's on the screen, not what's in people's hearts. If the rule is, "Do not show up here and be chronic with the sexist remarks or you'll be banned," and the user wants to stay on WP, betcha the user will get more careful about making sexist remarks here. Might even trouble to learn what they are, why the remarks are sexist, and why it's a problem.

But that requires making a judgment call. What you consider sexist or a need to step in, somebody else might interpret differently. I'm talking about specifics (specific posts and how to deal with them). If someone came in and posted something that was obviously hate-filled and negative, no question the moderator should step in. If someone posts something and it offends a bunch of people (as evidenced by many people replying with angry posts rebutting what the person said), the moderator should definitely step in. But there are a lot of messages that I have seen where the guy is obviously misguided but it would be better for him to be redirected by his peers instead of having the moderator step in. That is all that I am saying. It is a judgment call in each situation. I am not against saying something to someone who makes sexist comments. My question is about when the moderators should step in and when regular WP users should step in. I think regular WP members (male and female) have a responsibility to make this a safe and supportive environment, not just the moderators. This is a huge site, and Alex and the moderators can't control everything that everyone posts on this site.

The thing in quotations--"Do not show up here and be chronic with sexist remarks or you'll be banned"--sounds perfect to me. I understand exactly what that means. Having a pattern of negative speech means you will not be allowed to participate in this community anymore.

Last edited by em_tsuj on 29 May 2014, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:19 pm

starvingartist wrote:

the difference between ranting about one's past experience and spewing sexist hate is quite easy to spot, actually. i will demonstrate:

a) i have known some abusive men in my life--i have been sexually assaulted by men, psychologically and emotionally abused by them, and harassed innumerable times in the street by men. those men that i have encountered that have treated me that way are awful people.

b) men suck. all they want to do is abuse and dominate women to make themselves feel better. i can't trust men at all anymore because they all want to hurt me and use me and i won't have that anymore.

example a) is a personal rant about my own experience and treatment. notice i specifically only talk about the men i have encountered personally. this kind of comment is acceptable and would be taken by anyone reading it as obviously relating to my own experience only.

example b) is sexist and should not be tolerated. i took my own experience and extrapolated it to include all men, and then tarred them all with the same very negative brush. example b) is the sort of comment that should not be tolerated.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this issue. I don't think that a person who is offended by such statements should tolerate those statements. I am not sure if a moderator should step in at that point. I think the person who was offended should say something to the person who posted the offending post. If no one steps in to challenge the sexist things in Example B, I think a moderator should at least step in and say something. It shouldn't go unchallenged by anyone. I see it as more of a judgment call (with your specific example).

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:26 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I guess I don't understand why it is so hard to say, "the women I've met seem to all prefer tall men" instead of "women prefer tall men." Traditionally, that is ALL a poster has had to do here to keep from upsetting anyone. COUCH the phrases, keep them unique to your personal experience, and use language that makes it clear you realize you could have misunderstood what was going on.

That wouldn't make sense if you are referring to a particular study's conclusion.

Anyone looking for love should forget studies. People are not statistics, they are unique individuals.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:30 pm

I realize things change with different moderation teams, but I don't actually think it is helpful for rules and moderation to prevent EVERY misstep before it happens. The hope is that members can actually learn something by seeing the reactions of other members, as long as the original offense was not too extreme. Granted, I haven't seen much change in the worst offenders after all these years, but sometimes a light goes off for someone, and that is the sort of thing a support forum is FOR.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:32 pm

Jono wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Okay, so I talked to the director of the women's center here about helping us come up with a reasonable policy for moderating sexism (I imagine the same policy can be used as a template for moderating other -isms). She thought it sounded like a great project, and says she's in. A little about her background and what the center does (I have her permission to tell these stories):

She is sensitive to issues to do with life on the spectrum. For her, that awareness and training started in childhood; her brother has Down Syndrome, and at the time, where they grew up, the schools put Down's and autistic kids in the same classrooms; her brother had many autistic classmates. So she was exposed to autism quite early, at a time when that was unusual, and is sensitive to disability generally.

The women's center does counseling for those who can't afford a counselor or want a feminist orientation; the counselors are doctoral students in psychology, usually. The director helps train them in counseling autistic clients. She also helps the local rape crisis center with programming/counseling for autistic victims of sexual abuse.

As for men's programming, the women's center has run programs with a volunteer group of men for six years. They do anti-violence programs, bystander training, and programs for the fraternities, and have some considerable background in social pressures on men, particularly to do with gender policing (men pressuring men to "be male" in particular and narrow ways).

So, to get started then: she likes the idea of coming up with concrete examples of "sexist/not sexist and why, also why it matters", and she very much likes the idea of inviting questions about sexism and moderation of sexism from forumites to help generate a useful set of examples. So go for it -- ask away, think about (and/or post) your own thoughts about those questions, and we'll see what she's got to add to the process. I bet we can come up with something useful -- and, per SoftwareEngineer and others, educational -- by the end of the summer.

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist. The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Do you think the dynamics of the interactions and exchanges had anything to do with the path of the thread? Do you think there were primary and secondary factors?

No, I don't think that the exchanges had anything to do with those misogynistic statements because they were general sexist statements about women and not in response to any specific post. They seemed to of reflected what he actually thought.

Have you considered the possibility what you saw was a typical autistic meltdown under pressure, as opposed to the real characteristics of the individual being exposed?

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:32 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

The problem is, this isn't just a support forum for men. There are women here too, and constantly being subjected to mass negative generalizations isn't "supportive" to them. I don't see how being accused of being materialistic/shallow/greedy/sluts/only dating "jerks" is particularly "supportive" to autistic women.

I'm "supportive" to lonely, suffering people to the point where their frustrations boil over into blatant sexism. At that point, I alert the mods.

If a person posts something that offends you but isn't hate speech, is it your responsibility to ask the person to change to his or her behavior? the mods responsibility? or both?

This is a place for people with AS. The majority of people diagnosed with AS are male and have extremely poor social skills (which means they probably have a long history of rejection from women). A certain level of misogyny is to be expected considering the population of people who use this site. I am not saying that it is right. I am saying that you are going to fail miserably at eliminating the misogynistic attitudes displayed by many WP members.

I like this, but to put it into some perspective...which I think is important, not to say that moderation is not needed, but that perspective should be taken into account for the males that make such comments.

For many aspies having no social skills means you virtually out of the courting game indefinitely...hell, I can't even get friend-zoned. Want to know how many female friends I've had in the last 10 years? 20 years? Zero. And being a male I'm supposed to be the aggressor, meaning I have to weather A LOT of rejections to even find one women remotely interested in me. That stuff just DEVASTATES a humans ego.

At some point you begin to collect and compile all the rejections in your head and run them one by one, keeping you up and restless at night. Then recalling each one and their mode of rejecting you, one by one... Hell it probably qualifies as PTSD at this point.

That stuff piles on and keeps piling on until you begin to question why you're even here. I used to believe that at some point I would just grow "thick skin", which was a lie, it never came. I can't approach women readily anymore because it's just stockpiling volatile munitions in my head at this point.

I've said it before but if my life is any indication for what some of the male aspies have to go through, then there isn't a well deep enough to fill their tears, that crap is just brutal. I even think it's probably one of the worst places you can end up in life, i'd rather be in some sh***y third-world slum with a faithful companion than to fester in this 1st world hell of loneliness.

It's easy for me to see how you sometimes get comments that are misogynist, but the pain that people feel from those comments really pales in comparison to the hell that the commentator has already and is continuing to experience. I mean if my life is any indication... then you can bet that A LOT of tears have been shed before that comment was ever made, and I'm not talking about quiet tears, but full-blown weeping. Moderation is important but I don't think any aspie forum can expect all the males to be silent about their suffering, especially those on the more unfortunate ends... it's their suffering that leads to frustrated outbursts.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:33 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

the difference between ranting about one's past experience and spewing sexist hate is quite easy to spot, actually. i will demonstrate:

a) i have known some abusive men in my life--i have been sexually assaulted by men, psychologically and emotionally abused by them, and harassed innumerable times in the street by men. those men that i have encountered that have treated me that way are awful people.

b) men suck. all they want to do is abuse and dominate women to make themselves feel better. i can't trust men at all anymore because they all want to hurt me and use me and i won't have that anymore.

example a) is a personal rant about my own experience and treatment. notice i specifically only talk about the men i have encountered personally. this kind of comment is acceptable and would be taken by anyone reading it as obviously relating to my own experience only.

example b) is sexist and should not be tolerated. i took my own experience and extrapolated it to include all men, and then tarred them all with the same very negative brush. example b) is the sort of comment that should not be tolerated.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this issue. I don't think that a person who is offended by such statements should tolerate those statements. I am not sure if a moderator should step in at that point. I think the person who was offended should say something to the person who posted the offending post. If no one steps in to challenge the sexist things in Example B, I think a moderator should at least step in and say something. It shouldn't go unchallenged by anyone. I see it as more of a judgment call (with your specific example).

the ToS state otherwise, however. why should sexist comments like in my example b) be tolerated by moderators more than an equivalent racist or homophobic statement? why is it publicly acceptable on this forum to slag off all women, but not other marginalised groups? how is that fair?

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:35 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
:) this is why I'm recruiting the help of a pro.

But to take your examples: a lot of social generalizations to do with gender are actually wrong, and come out of sexist (and harmful) stereotypes. The one closest to the top of my head is "women don't know how to negotiate", which comes from the starting-wage disparity between men and women in corporate jobs, where you might actually have some hope of negotiating for a higher salary. Routinely, men start at higher wages than women in the same jobs. This "women can't negotiate" notion spawned a whole industry of "we must teach these stupid women this business survival technique, because clearly they're too dumb to pick up on their own and lack business genes" workshops, and books, and magazine articles, &c. But in fact it was pretty much hooey based on old sexist ideas to do with women sucking at and not belonging in business.

Is that really true? I know that you often see the figures thrown around about how women make less than men, but I have also read several studies/reports that say that when you account for education level, job role/industry, work experience, hours worked, and so on, women make basically the same as men do. I know that I have worked in 3 different companies, and my female friends/co-workers who started at the same time all were paid identically to me (the ones that I was close enough with to talk about that to at least). It could be because those jobs were in large companies though, and larger companies often have standards around pay and the prevention of discrimination.

Note: I'm asking this because this is an issue I'm curious about and feel quite strongly about. I REALLY don't want to get involved in the whole sexism/feminism/chauvanism debate that's been going on here lately.

There are pretty narrow studies in which the applicants have identical backgrounds, are male/female, and the guy's offered the job more often, also offered more money. (Which makes me wonder: are the offers to the women from places with a collection of attitudes that make them both woman-friendier and poorer? Or are they from low-self-esteem places that assume they'll have to settle for the woman because the guy will never take their offer?)

In general, though, those "accounting for factors" studies tend to leave out a lot of sexism that forces those issues. Say a married couple has a baby. The woman takes three months off, during which she'll still kinda sorta be working from home; the guy gets a promotion and a raise because his boss assumes he'll now be willing to dig in and work more, also more reluctant to quit, what with the new responsibilities at home. (This really happens.) When the woman goes back to work, people are happy to see her but kind of annoyed that she's not johnny-on-the-spot with her work right away, and tolerate this, also expect less of her because she's exhausted, and assume she won't be available for things that happen outside normal work hours. In other words, she's already being mommy-tracked, even though she's quite as capable as she was before, and presumably there's this husband fellow who can also take care of a baby.

Very quickly it becomes apparent that if someone's work has to suffer because the baby's sick, or there's no daycare today, or someone has to take the car in, it should be the wife's, because she makes less money. And in fact she does do more of the childcare and housework. Not because she wanted to, but because every social and financial pressure pushes that way. In sum she actually does much more work than the guy does -- she's got her job, still professional, and she manages the family. But her rate of advancement's now much slower. Another problem: if she pushes back at home, tells the guy, "nuh uh, your career's not more important than mine even if you do make more money, you'll just have to miss that meeting today and sit home with Ethan because it's your turn," she's running a real risk of winding up a single mom, defending herself against charges of being career-obsessed.

Fast-forward 20 years. Kid's in college. Dad's high up the ladder. Mom's a smart cookie who's made "trade-offs" and is likely doing work far above her pay grade just because she can -- in fact, Mom also helps Dad with his work. On paper, though, Dad looks like he's worth $40K more as an employee. Why? Because Mom hasn't had as many promotions and her salary's much lower. Could she step into a job at a much higher rank, though? Probably. If anyone would let her. But, you know. That wouldn't be fair. That'd be letting her jump the queue.

Look no further than Mrs. Clinton, who left her law practice to help in her husband's politics business and raise her child. Lady was voluntarily unemployed for over a decade, and caught a lot of flak when she tried to make real work for herself in his administration. But she seemed to have no trouble hitting the ground running as a US senator.

As a single mom, I built a freelance career that had me working more or less around the clock, but free to pick up my daughter when school let out, be here when she was sick, etc. I served on community boards and had responsibility for helping to decide who'd receive about a million a year in social services grants for family services. I also stopped damaging state legislation from home, in my bathrobe, thanks to nice research skills and the ability to communicate well with legislators. Within about five years of starting freelance work, I was working at the top of my field -- still as a freelancer, no benefits, no stability. When my daughter got old enough, I took a part-time university job where I help materially in bringing in millions of research dollars, teach, and recruit/train/manage employees.

At that job, I make less than a graduate student does. Obviously my skills and the actual work I do are worth multiples of that. As a single freelancing mom with no family to fall back on, though, one does not accumulate the resume lines that say "candidate for high-level job". Oh, I do get offers of high-level jobs -- I had an offer just recently to develop a whole new writing program. For which they were prepared to pay me less than $10K/yr, because after all it's not like I'm an important, highly-paid person. The opportunity was presented to me the same way you'd present it to a recent grad you want to exploit, someone young and disposable who'll work like a dog for no money. I said no, I don't need the resume-builder that bad, thanks. They have no other candidate with my combination of education, skills, and industry connections, so they've just stopped looking for now. I have no doubt that in two or three years they'll get serious and try again -- and hire someone comparably, or almost-comparably, qualified at several times what they offered me.

So you have to be very careful about these "well, she's been out of the workforce, she doesn't have the job rank, she's been working in areas where the salaries are low, she hasn't put in the hours" rationales. The presumption there is that the woman's off doing some form of non-work in all those hours (motherhood gets almost zero respect despite the fact that it's serious work) -- you know, screwing around while the guys are working. So naturally, you know, she just hasn't paid her dues, and that explains the salary differential.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:37 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Okay, so I talked to the director of the women's center here about helping us come up with a reasonable policy for moderating sexism (I imagine the same policy can be used as a template for moderating other -isms). She thought it sounded like a great project, and says she's in. A little about her background and what the center does (I have her permission to tell these stories):

She is sensitive to issues to do with life on the spectrum. For her, that awareness and training started in childhood; her brother has Down Syndrome, and at the time, where they grew up, the schools put Down's and autistic kids in the same classrooms; her brother had many autistic classmates. So she was exposed to autism quite early, at a time when that was unusual, and is sensitive to disability generally.

The women's center does counseling for those who can't afford a counselor or want a feminist orientation; the counselors are doctoral students in psychology, usually. The director helps train them in counseling autistic clients. She also helps the local rape crisis center with programming/counseling for autistic victims of sexual abuse.

As for men's programming, the women's center has run programs with a volunteer group of men for six years. They do anti-violence programs, bystander training, and programs for the fraternities, and have some considerable background in social pressures on men, particularly to do with gender policing (men pressuring men to "be male" in particular and narrow ways).

So, to get started then: she likes the idea of coming up with concrete examples of "sexist/not sexist and why, also why it matters", and she very much likes the idea of inviting questions about sexism and moderation of sexism from forumites to help generate a useful set of examples. So go for it -- ask away, think about (and/or post) your own thoughts about those questions, and we'll see what she's got to add to the process. I bet we can come up with something useful -- and, per SoftwareEngineer and others, educational -- by the end of the summer.

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist. The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Do you think the dynamics of the interactions and exchanges had anything to do with the path of the thread? Do you think there were primary and secondary factors?

No, I don't think that the exchanges had anything to do with those misogynistic statements because they were general sexist statements about women and not in response to any specific post. They seemed to of reflected what he actually thought.

Have you considered the possibility what you saw was a typical autistic meltdown under pressure, as opposed to the real characteristics of the individual being exposed?

What's the diff? If the remark itself is offensive, moderate the remark. Let the guy collect himself and come back, apologize if he likes, and go on. If it's something he's doing all the time, then the mods have to decide how often they want to go around cleaning up after him. I don't see the point of the special pleading here.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:38 pm

em_tsuj wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:

As for eliminating misogyny amongst all WPers: that isn't the goal. The only thing there is for mods to do is to moderate what's on the screen, not what's in people's hearts. If the rule is, "Do not show up here and be chronic with the sexist remarks or you'll be banned," and the user wants to stay on WP, betcha the user will get more careful about making sexist remarks here. Might even trouble to learn what they are, why the remarks are sexist, and why it's a problem.

But that requires making a judgment call. What you consider sexist or a need to step in, somebody else might interpret differently. I'm talking about specifics (specific posts and how to deal with them). If someone came in and posted something that was obviously hate-filled and negative, no question the moderator should step in. If someone posts something and it offends a bunch of people (as evidenced by many people replying with angry posts rebutting what the person said), the moderator should definitely step in. But there are a lot of messages that I have seen where the guy is obviously misguided but it would be better for him to be redirected by his peers instead of having the moderator step in. That is all that I am saying. It is a judgment call in each situation. I am not against saying something to someone who makes sexist comments. My question is about when the moderators should step in and when regular WP users should step in. I think regular WP members (male and female) have a responsibility to make this a safe and supportive environment, not just the moderators. This is a huge site, and Alex and the moderators can't control everything that everyone posts on this site.

The thing in quotations--"Do not show up here and be chronic with sexist remarks or you'll be banned"--sounds perfect to me. I understand exactly what that means. Having a pattern of negative speech means you will not be allowed to participate in this community anymore.

This (bold) is what a well-thought-out policy is for, and that's what we're working on. Questions, thoughts, hypotheticals, keep throwing them in.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:40 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
This is a place for people with AS. The majority of people diagnosed with AS are male and have extremely poor social skills (which means they probably have a long history of rejection from women). A certain level of misogyny is to be expected considering the population of people who use this site.

Umm, no, it isn't. Autism isn't an excuse to be misogynistic, racist, classist, ect.

I didn't say that it was.

But you are very unrealistic if you think that guys who get rejected all the time by girls and are frustrated by this rejection are not going to develop some misogynistic attitudes and, not having filters on what is appropriate to say, will say misogynistic things on this forum. It is going to happen again and again and again on this site.

I just don't think dumping everything onto the moderators is the best way to deal with these types of things. Social norms are established by what members in the community generally find to be acceptable behavior, not what the rules say or what authority figures say. I like to see misguided thinking rebutted by wrongplanet members (members of the community) instead of having moderators (authority figures) step in.

XFilesGeek wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
Many of the examples that you mentioned are certainly sexist, but they seem to be analogous to statements such as "guys only like b*****s" or "guys are only after one thing" or "guys are dogs." Is this hate speech or is this someone venting after being hurt by a member of the opposite sex?

They're mass negative generalizations exclaimed after being hurt by the opposite sex. And it's not acceptable.

That's your opinion. I don't find such things offensive, even though they are directed at my gender.

XFilesGeek wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
If statements like this offend you, by all means offer a rebuttal. But is a moderator obligated to step in at this point? I guess what I am saying is where do you draw the line? It is unrealistic to expect moderators to police every sexist comment that is made. At the same time, I have seen some truly disturbing things posted on this forum, things that definitely need to be addressed and shut down as soon as possible.

If I see something that steps over the line, I'm going to report it to the moderators. It's up to them to decide if it's within the boundaries set down by the policies of this site. That's why they're moderators.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:41 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:

This (bold) is what a well-thought-out policy is for, and that's what we're working on. Questions, thoughts, hypotheticals, keep throwing them in.

Thanks

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:54 pm

starvingartist wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
starvingartist wrote:

the ToS state otherwise, however. why should sexist comments like in my example b) be tolerated by moderators more than an equivalent racist or homophobic statement? why is it publicly acceptable on this forum to slag off all women, but not other marginalised groups? how is that fair?

Honestly, I interpreted your specific example as someone who was hurt by men and was justifiably angry and was venting. People do it all the time. I wouldn't be offended by it. I have a thick skin. If you repeatedly made angry comments about men and some of those were threatening, I would be upset. That's where I think moderators need to step in.

In your specific example, I would hope that other WP members would step in and try to convince the person that not all men are bad. If no one stepped up to the plate, then I would be okay with the moderator intervening. (BTW, I am not offended by racist or homophobic speech either even though I am black and a member of the LGBT community, so my policy would be the same no matter what the marginalized group. I do get concerned when people start threatening violence though.)

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:58 pm

you know, what I'm hearing a lot of here is, "I (or Guy) should get a pass, because I have suffering, people should just understand and deal." But everybody's got suffering, and a lot of it's pretty bad.

Klowglas, not to detract from the pain of rejection, but I don't know how many times women have to tell you that this thing about "society says men have to be the aggressors, we have special pain from rejection women are never exposed to" is pure hooey. Women can and do ask men out. And can and do get rejected. It's been going on for decades now, happens all the time, we haven't had to wait for Sadie Hawkins' Day since...mm, not in my lifetime. And I'm old.

I do think it's possible to post things about "I'm lonely and in pain" without appending "because women are b*****s/men suck/etc".

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:03 pm

Actually, let me amend that. What I'm hearing is "this site collects tons of men who can't get a girlfriend and don't know why and are massively frustrated and hurt because of it" -- so misogyny.

And what that says to me is that alternate (and healthier) ways of handling the massive frustration and hurt are necessary.

And my first thought after that is "do not try to solve someone else's problem."

However: this is very much the sort of thing that the women's-center director (henceforth Tammy) deals with. I'll show her these comments and see what she has to recommend. Because I think you guys are right, the problem can't be dealt with just by saying "don't have that problem here".

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:58 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:

What's the diff? If the remark itself is offensive, moderate the remark. Let the guy collect himself and come back, apologize if he likes, and go on. If it's something he's doing all the time, then the mods have to decide how often they want to go around cleaning up after him. I don't see the point of the special pleading here.

I'll answer your question with a personal story. One day, while school children were walking home, a kid picked up some rocks, stood behind my car, and he threw the rocks while shouting taunts at three other little boys walking ahead. He threw rock after rock, but never hit any of the other kids - the rocks hit the ground short and simply rolled up to the group. The group of three eventually succumbed to the taunting, picked up rocks, and threw them back at the kid hiding behind my car. Of course, some of the rocks struck my car. It's an old Suburban with the rear seats removed which I use as a hauler - I don't care about it's cosmetics. I stepped outside whereupon the kid hiding behind my car stood up, pointed at the group of three, and proudly proclaimed "Those guys threw rocks that hit your car!" I called out to the three and they walked back with their heads hanging in shame - one was wiping back tears. With all four standing in my driveway, I told the boy who had instigated the rock fight the leave my yard and never return - I told him that is absolute and permanent. In anger, he left. Then, I had a chat with the other three. First, I told them they were not in trouble, I didn't care about any damage to my old junker, and I did not intend to tell their parents. After that, we talked through what had happened. During our chat, they realized that a bully, using manipulation, had set them up for trouble and provided them with the ammunition, plus the bully made himself the target, so he might evoke sympathy later. I told the kids, bullies have a standard pattern of development: First, they throw rocks directly at people and hit them; Second, they get their victims the throw rocks at others (in this case, my car) and get in trouble; Finally, they get their victims to throw rocks in their own faces and hurt themselves. I told those youngsters to watch out for people, like the bully, who manipulated them, because that type of bully only gets worse - they become more proficient, more manipulative, and more destructive. And, bullies think alike, so the bulling of one is a segue for another - bullying is often a team effort. A victim can be passed from bully to bully like a baton. In the case of the three kids, I hope knowledge alleviated their vulnerability.

There is another pattern followed by the manipulative bully: Step one, they try to convince their victim that everything the victim does is wrong; Step two, they try to convince their victim that what the victim did was right, but the way the victim did it made it wrong; Third and finally, the bully commits absolute emotional sabotage by convincing their victim that everything they do is wrong, simply because the victim did it. All three steps can be done through both subtle and brute means. If I had yelled at the three kids with all the rest that might have happened, what do you think the instigator would have said to the group of three?

In a way, the matter was quite simple, the group of three little boys had absolutely no excuse whatsoever for hitting my car with rocks.

Last edited by SoftwareEngineer on 29 May 2014, 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.