so I'm slightly telepathic......I think.

Page 4 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Ramsus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2007, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Don't do it. They might take away your "gift"

What gift? The ability to incorrectly guess what shirt I'm wearing? Lol, you fail. But go on, keep pretending you have powers to make your life seem less miserable.

Uncertain-Late
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2007, 4:27 pm

Ramsus wrote:
Lol, you fail.

He failed to incorrectly guess what shirt you were wearing when you tested him in your imagination?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:45 pm

I really don't understand why people are taring on Gamestar for this one, not just saying I don't agree with them - just that I don't get it at all. Is he attacking some basic foundation of your sense of reality? Psychic ability HAS to be mystical and therefor HAS to a fraud otherwise your views on atheism are completely washed? That's the only way I could really imagine his saying this stuff could be so offensive - I'm not even sticking up for him as much as admitting that the phenomena could easily exist, I wouldn't have believed it either until I saw enough of those psychics in collaborations with detectives and skeptics even saying they did things that are straight out impossible - especially when they deliberately kept them out of the loop just to be sure they weren't full of s---.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:47 pm

Gamester wrote:
CD. lemme ask you a question. Do you believe in miracles?

I believe in chance, I also believe in the possibility that our physical world and especially our ability to comprehend it if our minds can draw the right connections and tangents. Religious miracles or divine intervention though - not hardly.

Maybe you do because the world has pushed you to believe that what you have is necessarily religious? For me personally my emotional structure and the way I feel the world in general should have me feeling that way as well. There've been plenty of times where I've even been doing something - listening to a certain really solid trance melody, playing a video game, see the right visual stimulous, and feel like I've caught a glimpse of something so ancient and timeless that its like something far beyond the ancients or songs that are recitations of something of Atlantis (hypothetically, that's about the best parallel I can give it). I'll catch flashes and visions sometimes of a world so washed in light, surreal, yet while far more beautiful than this world its as raw, real and profound as it gets. I see those things, I've had psychics tell my parents that I have an extremely beautiful spiritual side that other people won't be able to see or understand. I enjoy those feelings but from what I can tell, the way I like to hedge things, its all illusion - its emotion, not to say I don't like it to a point but its not there and I'm just as likely to be something without a soul, devoid of value aside from animal genetics, and just as likely to just go to nothingness when I die being it seems far more likely that this is it, we're natural born killers and this world is pretty much an infected rock wrapped in mold underneath a heat lamp. That's to say I can see brutal realities and beautiful spiritual essence at the same time but I tend to be more a believer in the former than the later.

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 09 May 2007, 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 4:53 pm

well all i will say is that it is good to be skeptic.
So long as you keep open mind, that is main thing.
assimilate information and draw conclusion without regard to 'established' theory.

my conclusion is quack quack :jester:

Soopervilin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2007, 5:12 pm

Have you kept any kind of record, such as a dream journal, with specific references as to what you dreamed? If not, then start keeping detailed notes, so when something happens you have a record that you in fact did predict it. Unless and until you can show records that you did have those premonitions, it might be better to keep such things to yourself. Get those predictions out of just your own head, so others can see them too. This approach can also give you some perspective on your predictions, and see if they're specific to the situation or general impressions with gaps to be filled in later.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:15 pm

btw Gamestar - my bad with the last post, I saw that encapsulated in one of my quotes and wasn't paying attention. Well, hopefully my two cents at least clarified a thing or two for some other people.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:47 pm

Soopervilin wrote:
Have you kept any kind of record, such as a dream journal, with specific references as to what you dreamed? If not, then start keeping detailed notes, so when something happens you have a record that you in fact did predict it. Unless and until you can show records that you did have those premonitions, it might be better to keep such things to yourself. Get those predictions out of just your own head, so others can see them too. This approach can also give you some perspective on your predictions, and see if they're specific to the situation or general impressions with gaps to be filled in later.

I don't make major predictions. what I see happening is sometimes insignificant that it doesn't even matter. the only time I've dreamed of something major was 9/11

azsxdc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2007, 3:54 am

To support gamester's case, I too have had numerous psychic experiences, as well as my family.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:02 am

Ramsus wrote:
Quote:
Don't do it. They might take away your "gift"

What gift? The ability to incorrectly guess what shirt I'm wearing? Lol, you fail. But go on, keep pretending you have powers to make your life seem less miserable.

I was the only one who failed to guess your shirt.

Never claimed to be able to see stuff though. But, it seemed
fun. Anyway, I'm not doing to badly for someone who's already
dead. :P

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 12:53 pm

Two words: confirmation bias. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

We tend to remember the things that confirm our suspicions and ignore the ones that don´t. This is how we get things like: "Crazies come out on a full moon", and "I know who is calling before I pick up the phone", etc., etc. You have to actually log down any "premonition" you have before it is confirmed or disproven, then log that too. Otherwise, you´re not really keeping a true count here as Soopervilin said.

Yes, I am an atheist. No, I don´t believe in miracles, psychics (this would eliminate free will), fate, destiny (these too would eliminate the possibility of free will), or the like. So, take from this what you want. But, you have already stated that you will ignore all the skeptics. You have convinced yourself that anyone who doesn´t agree that you have psychic ablitites is childish and immature. This is the perfect example of the confirmation bias at work. You can never be disproven if you ignore everything that doesn´t confirm your psychic abilities.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:42 pm

jonathan79 wrote:
Two words: confirmation bias. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

We tend to remember the things that confirm our suspicions and ignore the ones that don´t. This is how we get things like: "Crazies come out on a full moon", and "I know who is calling before I pick up the phone", etc., etc. You have to actually log down any "premonition" you have before it is confirmed or disproven, then log that too. Otherwise, you´re not really keeping a true count here as Soopervilin said.

Yes, I am an atheist. No, I don´t believe in miracles, psychics (this would eliminate free will), fate, destiny (these too would eliminate the possibility of free will), or the like. So, take from this what you want. But, you have already stated that you will ignore all the skeptics. You have convinced yourself that anyone who doesn´t agree that you have psychic ablitites is childish and immature. This is the perfect example of the confirmation bias at work. You can never be disproven if you ignore everything that doesn´t confirm your psychic abilities.

No.....I said I would ignore the childish and immature who are mocking my abilities, namely Kosmonaut and Cal.

Again, with what you say J79. There are things out there that I can't predict, that happen, but I don't take credit for.

However I can tell you that Cancer can play havok with predictions. That says much. very much.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:54 pm

yeah cancer can play havoc with yr lifespan too.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:05 pm

Gamester wrote:
There are things out there that I can't predict, that happen, but I don't take credit for.

dont worry i will take credit for these ones.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:46 pm

jonathan79 wrote:
Yes, I am an atheist. No, I don´t believe in miracles, psychics (this would eliminate free will), fate, destiny (these too would eliminate the possibility of free will), or the like.

Well, to a point there is destiny and predetermination but its genetics - works at about 70% just because your strengths and weaknesses as well as what social cliques you'll fall into or what your natural inclinations will lead you toward will usually shake out about the same no matter what in summary. They've studied identical twins who were separated from birth and who had much different upbringing, its almost demoralizing to see just how similarly they turn out and it lends a lot toward the idea that genetics just about own us.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 5:44 pm

jonathan79 wrote:

I'm an atheist and rationalist to but I'm not sure what you’re on about with free will. Free will only happens in a relative sense (minds eye). There is no such thing as true free will. Everything is subject to influence. Thus are the forces of nature. In fact I believe it would impossible to make judgments without a history of influence. Free will is anti-nature.