Page 4 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:09 pm

^^ This is just a question, not a critique. What’s unwholesome about the guitar?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:14 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
^^ This is just a question, not a critique. What’s unwholesome about the guitar?

I suppose principally the types of music and subcultures it's associated with. There is a deeper musicological reason for its unwholesome associations that a teacher explained to me a while ago, but I forget.

I realise the above is such a caricature of the "traditional" woman that it almost seems rather ironic, but these are my sincere convictions and I hope people will be nice to me about them. I thank you for being so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:37 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
My boyfriend (who is also my business partner) and I complement each other in various ways. He has wider-ranging technical knowledge but struggles with details. I am very detail-oriented, but I have great difficulty with attention-shifting and multi-tasking; hence, to limit distractions, I don't usually check email nearly as often throughout the day as he does. Socially, he is more conversationally fluid (I have more difficulty with casual conversation), whereas I am better at identifying and resolving misunderstandings.

I have to agree with Mona on this one. An ideal partner is somebody who compliments you rather than meets some "airy fairy" criteria. People forget there needs to be mutual love/needs, it ain't one way.

I notice some posters who have physical characteristics as a requirement or that the girl's personality is "shy and nerdy"...this is really not a great plan. People's physical nature changes and that's not what keeps a relationship going. If you restrict yourself too much you will be waiting a long long time.

The person you connect with may not necessarily have to meet some ideal checklist and indeed if this checklist is only because you want somebody like yourself then you may be surprised how much you may find it irritating. In any case your prospective partner also has a list of criteria. So "the Twain" has to meet halfway.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
My boyfriend (who is also my business partner) and I complement each other in various ways. He has wider-ranging technical knowledge but struggles with details. I am very detail-oriented, but I have great difficulty with attention-shifting and multi-tasking; hence, to limit distractions, I don't usually check email nearly as often throughout the day as he does. Socially, he is more conversationally fluid (I have more difficulty with casual conversation), whereas I am better at identifying and resolving misunderstandings.

I have to agree with Mona on this one. An ideal partner is somebody who compliments you rather than meets some "airy fairy" criteria. People forget there needs to be mutual love/needs, it ain't one way.

I notice some posters who have physical characteristics as a requirement or that the girl's personality is "shy and nerdy"...this is really not a great plan. People's physical nature changes and that's not what keeps a relationship going. If you restrict yourself too much you will be waiting a long long time.

The person you connect with may not necessarily have to meet some ideal checklist and indeed if this checklist is only because you want somebody like yourself then you may be surprised how much you may find it irritating. In any case your prospective partner also has a list of criteria. So "the Twain" has to meet halfway.

Wize words.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I meant for this thread to be an “ideal” - and not standards people should restrict themselves to. There’s a country song with the refrain: “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”

While I don’t believe in God, I think that sometimes what we think we want or need doesn’t really matter once we meet someone we love who doesn’t match up to the ideal in every particular. Maybe the reality is even better. Who knows?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:01 pm

My parents were very different (Dad died) but they worked so well together!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:12 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I meant for this thread to be an “ideal” - and not standards people should restrict themselves to. There’s a country song with the refrain: “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”

While I don’t believe in God, I think that sometimes what we think we want or need doesn’t really matter once we meet someone we love who doesn’t match up to the ideal in every particular. Maybe the reality is even better. Who knows?

Let me put it another way, you may be really surprised whom you end up feeling most connected to. Just let it happen, it shouldn't be contrived or socially engineered.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:21 pm

I’m not really looking for anyone. I just thought this would be a fun topic although I do believe:

“There can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose.” (David Copperfield)

Specific character traits, life goals (especially of a moral and ethical nature), and having some similar intellectual interests and pursuits are important to me, but beyond that, I’m open. It’s really nice to have a deep friendship and connection with the person you’re in love with.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 6:50 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m not really looking for anyone. I just thought this would be a fun topic although I do believe:

“There can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose.” (David Copperfield)

Specific character traits, life goals (especially of a moral and ethical nature), and having some similar intellectual interests and pursuits are important to me, but beyond that, I’m open. It’s really nice to have a deep friendship and connection with the person you’re in love with.

Sorry I was speaking "in general" not aimed anyone :wink:

Yeah I get what you mean about being a nice bonus to have a deep connection/friendship with your life-partner.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

21 Jun 2019, 11:55 pm

I like different & even sometimes seemingly opposite things in different people. When I'm in a relationship like I am now I believe my current partner is my ideal although they all had things that I wished they'd change of corse like I know they wished I'd change some things. There is NO such thing as a perfect person, everyone has faults except maybe for the iCarly star Miranda Cosgrove who I had a mega huge crush obsession with

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 1:36 am

Kind,
Compassionate,
Listener,
Good boundaries,
Willing to look silly when doing something serious,
Willing to try new things

I'm done.

I'm not really sure if this sort of thing helps in getting a partner.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 3:20 am

nick007 wrote:
There is NO such thing as a perfect person, everyone has faults except maybe for the iCarly star Miranda Cosgrove who I had a mega huge crush obsession with

of course iCarly is a cute babe designed to capture the teen male viewing market so she's manufactured

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 4:20 pm

Someone who can have a good conversation, occasionally take me out of my comfort zone but not overwhelm me, has something he is very passionate about, preferably art of some kind (Not music) or in physical or mental health, maybe theology. Who is a strong christian, okay with no sex, and wants to adopt children. Who can get into an argument and not hold a grudge.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 6:51 pm

Arganger wrote:
okay with no sex, and wants to adopt children

Good luck sister

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 10:46 pm

Arganger wrote:
okay with no sex

with all due respect, i have to ask, would you be ok if the fellow "took care of his own needs" so to speak?

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Arganger wrote:
okay with no sex, and wants to adopt children

Good luck sister

She'll need it!