Nice guy syndrome(is a joke)

Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 6:12 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i don't get the comparison of fat girls who call themselves curvy. fat women *can* be curvy, after all. not quite sure why people seem to think that the two descriptions are mutually exclusive.

Because the curvy body type was reserved for hourglass shaped women. Just as the nice guy was reserved for actually nice guys. But now both terms are used as PC was of describing something completely different to what they were created to describe

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:05 pm

Sagroth wrote:
Man, tough crowd here. No response from joke or discourse.

Well then, let's try a true anecdote I learned from an acquaintance in college(and I swear i was actually told this):

Step-by-step process to both appear as a bad boy and a nice guy(and also apparently a good way to 'get some')

1. Attend a party where there's drinking.
2. Only drink enough to have it on your breath.
3. Hold some form of drinking container in your hand at all times
4. Find a girl who you'd like to hook up with and does not have a boyfriend you can see.
5. Treat that girl like absolute garbage all night. Go out of your way to be mean to her. Also, act drunk.
6. At the end of the night, discard your liquor, go up to her and apologize profusely. Blame it on the alcohol. Be nice and compliment her.
7. Hit on her if needed, ask for her number if nothing else pans out.

I have not tried it myself, but as far as evidence of efficacy goes, when the acquaintance told me this in class, the gal he was currently dating and listening to the story exclaimed "You son of a b***ch!" after he told it.

I think I would prefer a guy who can handle himself when he drinks rather than treat me like crap and blame it on the alcohol and then apologize. That way me and him could drink together and have a great time, though I would more likely be doing that at a concert or around a few friends not a party but some parties are ok.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 7:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I think I would prefer a guy who can handle himself when he drinks rather than treat me like crap and blame it on the alcohol and then apologize. That way me and him could drink together and have a great time, though I would more likely be doing that at a concert or around a few friends not a party but some parties are ok.

Agreed. You know what i did last time I was piss ass drunk? I found a girl passed out on the floor. Then i proceded to finding her friend and carrying her down 3 flights of stairs and waiting for her mom to come take her home. What an as*hole i know.

qwan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2012, 9:10 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i don't get the comparison of fat girls who call themselves curvy. fat women *can* be curvy, after all. not quite sure why people seem to think that the two descriptions are mutually exclusive.

Sorry, I hope my comment didn't come across that way. I only refer to those who say curvy when they mean 'fat but happy'. (I personally prefer fat (or chubby, as people take to that word better) people, in a purely aesthetic manner.)
I was just using the previously mentioned example of using a positive word when the person isn't really necessarily exhibiting the traits the said word would imply.
I don't want this to become a weight hating war due to my laziness. >_<

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:23 pm

MXH wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
Guys who do nice things for girls (and for others) without realizing that they're doing them in expectation of something just as valuable in return are still nice guys. They just don't realize what they're doing is often quite selfish.

Of course, not all nice guys are like that.

Personally, it's better not to put the word "nice" next to "guy" either way. As "nice" is not something to be proud of.

Sincerity and empathy is the way to go. Many (not all) nice guys having problems with relationships are so because they don't understand this bit. Be sincere and empathetic. And stop putting women on pedestals (way higher than your head especially).

The rest have been unsuccessful due to lack of effort or interest. Nothing wrong in that. But for those complaining about lack of relationships or sex or flings or such, just remember you have to make some effort.

Theres a big difference between that guy and a real nice guy. I dont expect to be given anything but the same respect I gave someone. To me your description sounds more in depth with a manipulator, and not a nice guy. Which is where my argument is.

Either way, being nice is not usually what's going to attract girls. Regardless of whether being nice is a good thing or a bad thing.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Because the curvy body type was reserved for hourglass shaped women. Just as the nice guy was reserved for actually nice guys. But now both terms are used as PC was of describing something completely different to what they were created to describe

but fat women can be hourglass shaped.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:46 pm

qwan wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Sorry, I hope my comment didn't come across that way. I only refer to those who say curvy when they mean 'fat but happy'. (I personally prefer fat (or chubby, as people take to that word better) people, in a purely aesthetic manner.)
I was just using the previously mentioned example of using a positive word when the person isn't really necessarily exhibiting the traits the said word would imply.
I don't want this to become a weight hating war due to my laziness. >_<

no, not at all. i just got thinking about it and i know a couple other people said it first.

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

I'm really thankfull that i met this really confident outgoing fat girl that made me realise that weight has nothing to do with me not being attracted to a lot of fat girls. It's all about attitude and personality to me and the simple reason for me not liking a lot of fat girls is that the weight for those girls is a symptom of their mental state. For the girl i met it was just a detail like the colour of her eyes or the style of her hair, for her it totally didn't matter.

It was a kinda relief to find someone like that, i realised that i wasn't shallow after all and i realised that all my bs about being attracted to personality and not looks was 100% true.

Last edited by timewaster on 06 Jan 2012, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:51 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

True, but that's not how it's used. It's like saying that the fat rolls on her waist are curves. It misses the original intent of the word.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:57 pm

noname_ever wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

True, but that's not how it's used. It's like saying that the fat rolls on her waist are curves. It misses the original intent of the word.

erm, no it doesn't. all people have fat on them, just obese people have more of it. there's no universal standard as to how skinny a person is supposed to be in order to be classified as curvy.

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
noname_ever wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

erm, no it doesn't. all people have fat on them, just obese people have more of it. there's no universal standard as to how skinny a person is supposed to be in order to be classified as curvy.

That's how it's used though. Someone says curvy when they should say chubby or overweight. It's used as a euphenism.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:17 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

Indeed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy6j2LUyh24[/youtube]

There is a girl like this at my workplace. A little chubby, but her weight is very well-distributed, which makes her curvy. I will refrain from describing my thoughts about her, because they would be suitable only on the Adult forum. But she is incredibly sexy.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm

noname_ever wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
noname_ever wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

That's how it's used though. Someone says curvy when they should say chubby or overweight. It's used as a euphenism.

it's used as a word for fat people too, hence why we are having this discussion. it isn't wrong.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Indeed.

There is a girl like this at my workplace. A little chubby, but her weight is very well-distributed, which makes her curvy. I will refrain from describing my thoughts about her, because they would be suitable only on the Adult forum. But she is incredibly sexy.

:thumright: OH YEAHHH

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:46 pm

Magnus_Rex wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Indeed.

I agree. She is very curvy and her weight is well distributed. Her shape isn't a misuse of the word. However, I counter you with Rosie O'donnell. This is the build I see show up a lot on dating site profiles claiming to be curvy.

When I think of someone curvy, I think that their bust and hips are noticibly larger than their waist.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 11:50 pm

noname_ever wrote:
I agree. She is very curvy and her weight is well distributed. Her shape isn't a misuse of the word. However, I counter you with Rosie O'donnell. This is the build I see show up a lot on dating site profiles claiming to be curvy.

When I think of someone curvy, I think that their bust and hips are noticibly larger than their waist.

i agree on the definition of curvy, absolutely. however, women with hips and no boobs (or boobs and no hips) also call themselves curvy but for some reason they're not held up as some kind of example.