"Friends with benefits" is nonsense.

Page 5 of 19 [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2012, 6:38 am

What? I'm not doing that. I'm not drinking alcohol.......

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 6:44 am

AussieMatty wrote:
What? I'm not doing that. I'm not drinking alcohol.......

well unfortunately that is the mateing dance of uni students. like it or lump it.

So I'm never in a rush

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2012, 8:08 am

But other people in here in previous posts and the sharing knowledge of my friends aren't really drinking alcohol to do fwb. So here we go the confusion.....

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:23 am

It's common while drinking but also common after they've already had a one night stand and the guy typically proposes to turn it into a friend with benefits situation so they can continue to have sex.

Very common here, at uni and otherwise as far as I have seen.

Last edited by Kjas on 27 Mar 2012, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NullCoding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

I use the term "friends with feelings" - but then again I identify as pansexual and polyamorous.

I'll be up front about it - I've never done anything like this with anyone. I'd really like to, but am not exactly optimistic.

My partner of over two years has friends-with-benefits (they're a couple, actually) and frankly it doesn't exactly tear at my heartstrings. We live a hundred miles apart and rarely see each other. Open relationships are better for college students, that much I've learned. But I do want this friends-with-benefits thing because of how my boyfriend explained it to me.

It's a matter of trust and love in the non-romantic sense. Obviously I applaud him for trying to explain emotions to me...I'm conscious that I feel strong emotions (and would in a situation like that) but I certainly don't know what they are or why, and I'm scared. I'm actually more than a bit scared of the entire prospect. This is complicated by the fact I'm good friends with a girl I frankly really, really like. A lot. We've even talked about friends-with-benefits while a bit tipsy (she has them too, of course, just my luck it's not me).

I really want that deeper level of emotional understanding and trust between two people. Neither of us wants anything serious, and she knows I really like her. It's perfect except I'm fairly positive she wants little to do with me beyond casual conversation. Oh well.

Also, in my opinion, friends-with-benefits is a consistent thing, not a one-night drunk encounter. That's called casual sex. I have nothing against that, certainly, just that if I were to do that I'd prefer it to be something we could do again, not be uncomfortable about in the morning. Certainly nothing that would include a "walk of shame" (term I've heard). If sex makes one shameful, then not mature enough to be having it. Simple. It should be fun and emotionally fulfilling. I know I feel emotionally empty most of the time, so that serves to explain my desires...

Aesthete
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2012, 11:09 am

I'm far, far more interested in love and romance than sex, but I disagree with the OP. FWBs can be useful if two people want to have sex with one another but don't have feelings for one another. It's true that a lot of times feelings can develop this way and become unrequited by the other partner, but not always. There are definitely people that are physically attractive to me but not romantically so.

Victronix
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2013, 7:29 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
Um, friends with benefits? Well, don't all friendships have benefits? Has anyone heard of the benefit of friendship?

I know. More people need to realize that friendship itself is beneficial.

Shaded
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2013, 7:45 pm

Friends with benefits only goes wrong with whoever gets personal first. I see it more as a mutual respect. Women like sex just as much as guys do (sometimes more). As for me, when I don't want to go through all the BS that you have to go through in dating (and I just want sex), then yes I'll hit a FWB up. With women (that I know), they are just tired of the dating game and they get lonely--or horny--at nights as well. Who ever gets personal first; usually its a 50/50 chance of them getting hurt. FWB doesn't just favor men--believe me. Sometimes women just wanna f**k too.

Knight seems just right around the corner in my dreams...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 8:28 pm

slovaksiren wrote:
Um, friends with benefits? Well, don't all friendships have benefits? Has anyone heard of the benefit of friendship?

Its current modern american slang.

"Benifits" mean sexual benifits.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
slovaksiren wrote:

Its current modern american slang.

"Benifits" mean sexual benifits.

Really ?
The American government's benefits offices must be very interesting places, then.
:chin:

And my my, this gives a whole new perspective on America's "Veterans Benefits Administration."
I can just imagine the kind of things which those veterans will be having 'administered' to them.
:lol:

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 10:28 pm

This whole phenomena is immature and selfish, and I despise the very notion of casual sex. I strongly suspect this was a concept first adopted by men, then used as an excuse by members of both sexes, who view marriage as a prison, avoiding commitment through a twisted definition of "freedom".

This same desire for "sex without any consequences" is what led to Roe vs. Wade, homosexual activism, and all the crap that's followed both. Even with the most accurate contraception being used appropriately every time, there's still a chance for pregnancy...and contrary to popular belief, condoms don't protect against STDs. For viruses small enough to invade cells, thin rubber and/or plastic is nowhere near a proper barrier. Counter-cultural as it may be, the only 100% foolproof method for avoiding both pregnancy and venereal disease is abstinence. If you're not prepared to abide by that, bear in mind you really are playing with fire.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 12:29 am

I find it immature to say only one way to engage in sex is the 'correct' way and all others are damaging. People aren't all cut from the same mold... what works for one may not work for another.

Besides, discounting FWB is ignoring the fact that many married people often had a partner on the side. Sometimes more than one. Whether it was hush-hush or not depended greatly on which culture you hailed from. This whole notion of complete monogamy is relatively recent.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 4:25 am

FWB fills a temporary need and sooner or later somebody is going to want more. The irony of it would be that, this same person wanting more will later turn to having another piece on the side under the guise of mistress.

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm

I agree that friends with benefits is just like casual sex. It will leave you empty. Yeah drugs are a lot fun too but they mess you up and you become dependent on them. Sex you can also get addicted to.

Sex is actually supposed to be about love. There is no love in the "friends with benefits" equation. Many people will argue with you but so will anyone who wants to convince themselves that they are okay with what they know is wrong. People like to do the wrong thing. It's fun. But in the end it hurts you. This is a fact.

FWB, casual sex it is exactly the same sex without emotion. It will leave you empty.

Also sex with love is supposedly way better anyways. You get more satisfaction out of it.

Also if you are married and have people on the side you are scum of the earth.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 6:19 pm

I would rather have a meaningful relationship than have a lowlife "friend" with "benefits".

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2013, 7:01 pm

Quote:
I would rather have a meaningful relationship than have a lowlife "friend" with "benefits".

Quote:
I agree that friends with benefits is just like casual sex. It will leave you empty. Yeah drugs are a lot fun too but they mess you up and you become dependent on them. Sex you can also get addicted to.

Quote:
Sex is actually supposed to be about love. There is no love in the "friends with benefits" equation. Many people will argue with you but so will anyone who wants to convince themselves that they are okay with what they know is wrong. People like to do the wrong thing. It's fun. But in the end it hurts you. This is a fact.

FWB, casual sex it is exactly the same sex without emotion. It will leave you empty.

Also sex with love is supposedly way better anyways. You get more satisfaction out of it.

Also if you are married and have people on the side you are scum of the earth.

FWB fills a temporary need and sooner or later somebody is going to want more. The irony of it would be that, this same person wanting more will later turn to having another piece on the side under the guise of mistress.

I agree with all of this.