Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 12:08 am

XKCD No. 1,027 made me laugh pretty hard.

To me, anytime someone is playing any kind of "game" where the goal is to "bed" a particular person, it is rape!! ! Yes, RAPE. I don't see how getting someone to say yes to sex based on false pretenses (or drunkenness/other drugs) is any better morally than forcing sex on them. If they wouldn't have had sex knowing the truth, the pain can be just as great as with what most people think of as "rape."

Kudos for not falling for his tactics and having enough self-esteem NOT to date someone like this.

After reading through all of this, yes, I say PUA can die in a fire.

AQ: 33

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 12:10 am

meems wrote:
Wow. I feel sick. Jerk #1 bet jerk #2 that he could bed any (single, I presume) female in our social circles, and jerk #2 decided based on I don't know what criteria that I would be a suitable choice.

And a handful of people were in the student area and observed jerk #1 get flustered and make an ass of himself right before I laughed and moved elsewhere.

I'm not supposed to think this is weird, I'm supposed to be flattered, so says the girlfriend of jerk #2

Whaaaat?

If they're going to be that immature then that has nothing to do with you, it's not in any way a reflection on you, but on them.
Let them be idiots - you know that it is more than weird and not flattering at all.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 6:07 am

Definitely PUA crap, despite his failure at.... I feel like I am going to puke. I keep wondering how he intended to prove it if he was to win that bet.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 1:08 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

To me, anytime someone is playing any kind of "game" where the goal is to "bed" a particular person, it is rape!! ! Yes, RAPE. I don't see how getting someone to say yes to sex based on false pretenses (or drunkenness/other drugs) is any better morally than forcing sex on them. If they wouldn't have had sex knowing the truth, the pain can be just as great as with what most people think of as "rape."

Kudos for not falling for his tactics and having enough self-esteem NOT to date someone like this.

Would you say the same for the women playing games of their own to pick out who THEY want to pick up for the night? There's plenty of those too, y'know...

Not that I disagree with your statement (which is one that'll make you real popular with the handful of super-mega-ultra-feminists around here.)

TM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:05 pm

meems wrote:
You're confused, TM. I don't require your permission to speak on a subject, or to have opinions on it. I didn't have opinions on PUA techniques until I'd read up on it. My dislike of the language and attitudes(specifically, contempt for women) of some of the people who employ PUA techniques is hardly something that can be compared to religious ideals. And PUA techniques aren't really something I would compare to the science of evolution, but whatever floats your boat, dawg.

You do not require my permission for anything, but if you expect me to take you seriously and thus give you permission to enjoy some of my valuable time, I require you to have basic knowledge of the topic at hand. I was not comparing the scientific theory of evolution with pick up artist techniques, I was comparing a person who lacks understanding and knowledge of basic science yet insists on criticizing evolution (which is science), with a person who lacks understanding and knowledge of basic PUA material (including lingo) who yet insists on criticizing it.

Quote:

I've seen plenty of demonstrations from you indicating that you are a misogynistic evo-psych enthusiast, so I think this conversation isn't going anywhere. All I can offer to you is that you stop reading this thread if my opinions on the subject bother you. No need to resort to your "read heaps and heaps of my supporting 'evidence' and THEN we can talk" tactics. They don't work on everyone, TM. In fact I've never seen them work on anyone. It's not bringing anything of substance to the conversation if you can't state your own opinions and not rely on directing me to several other people's opinions. I'm not going to play games with you or resort to taunting one another with thinly veiled insults(direct would've been acceptable) as if we're children.

Sorry, bro.

Evo-psych yes, same with evo-biology, classical psychology and quite a few other fields. Your opinions do not bother me, the idea of speaking on something on which one has very little background knowledge does. It's a matter of "Here is what meems says" and here is the contrasting opinion from a whole host of people who are significantly more qualified on the topic than meems. I did state my opinion, and I directed you to the source material that lead me to form that opinion, just as if we were speaking on lets say the Bible, I may direct you to Spinoza, Thomas Paine, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Thomas of Aquinas, Sam Harris, or a lot of other people with highly researched opinions. If we were discussing economics I may direct you to Keynes, Adam Smith or Paul Krugman. If we were discussing philosophy I may direct you to Aristotle, Plato or Nietzsche.

"Substance" is defined as "the subject matter of thought, discourse, study, etc." which is exactly what I linked to you.

God forbid that we actually research and know anything about what we speak on. If you had done so you would have known that a misogynist means someone with a dislike, hatred or mistrust of women. Do I hate some women? Yes. Do I mistrust some women? Yes. Do I dislike some women? Yes. I do not dislike, hate or mistrust every member of the female gender which among others include my mother. I do dislike and hate people who insist that their "opinion" be taken seriously on topics that they are not qualified in any meaningful way to have an opinion on, and I tend to distrust people who use domination techniques such as calling someone a misogynist when they are called on their lack of knowledge and competence in a topic.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:12 pm

I'm just posting so I can get people to see my kawaii Mikhail Gorbachev avatar.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:08 pm

meems wrote:
Definitely PUA crap, despite his failure at.... I feel like I am going to puke. I keep wondering how he intended to prove it if he was to win that bet.

It's best not too.
They're the pathetic immature ones. As long as you handle the situations like that, your being responsible and it shows their true colors.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:33 pm

BlueMax wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

Would you say the same for the women playing games of their own to pick out who THEY want to pick up for the night? There's plenty of those too, y'know...

Not that I disagree with your statement (which is one that'll make you real popular with the handful of super-mega-ultra-feminists around here.)

Please note the use of people instead of women/males.

The whole thing about nitpicking members posts to make vague insinuations really needs to stop because it makes everyone uncomfortable.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:36 pm

Kjas wrote:
I am well aware of exactly what it is and how it works and have been for many years.

It can give you some useful tools, but not all of them should be accepted automatically, as some of them are harmful. They can be tweaked slightly and used as useful tools needed however (like negs / teasing). The problem becomes when they start basing their life around it - although that is encouraged in some circles and isn't in others, it generally happens at some point. Part of the other problem that can happen is that they can become too relient on tools like this and forget that on the rare occasion, at very specific moments, it actually does you more good to be real with someone completely.

I have seen guys get involved to the extent that they don't trust women at all anymore and become incapable of being vulnerable or real with even their very close friend (if they happen to be a girl). There's a point at which this stuff is harmful, for both women and men. If it's being used in a way that isn't harmful, I don't have a problem with it - but too often it is being used for some form of harm, often because they aren't thinking about the implications when they are in the middle of this stuff.

(P.s. @mv: :lmao: )

I wasn't speaking to you, more to the people who didn't know what a "neg" or an "opener" was, nor of their purpose. I agree with you completely and I remember reading something similar to what you're saying here in Neil Strauss' book "The Game". Some people unfortunately get so absorbed in their newfound world, where the one problem they've agonized over for years, or even decades is gone that they never want to leave. It's not dissimilar to people who spend their waking time in an online game.

From one perspective ,shouldn't we feel sorry for men who had to go to the extreme length of changing their personality completely in order to get the one thing we all actually want, then once they get there the things that were good about them are gone?

TM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:48 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

Is this just in this specific case, or is lets say someone who tells me "If you buy lunch today, I'll buy you lunch tomorrow" yet never buys lunch guilty of theft?

Also, how do you define game? Would someone who lets say wants sex 4 x a week and dresses to the nines every day before marriage, yet wants sex once a month and dresses only in flannels and sweats after marriage be guilty of fraud?

How do you define "false pretenses"? Where do you draw the line between "normal false pretenses" and "Comp_Geek_537 rape equivalent false pretenses"? For instance, if I'm on a date with someone who goes on and on about their family, and I keep telling them "yeah that's interesting" while I'm quite frankly bored to death, and I later sleep with that person, am I guilty of rape

How about if you are married to someone and you do the dishes and clean the house so you'll get sex, does that mean that your significant other is now prostituting themselves for housework?

I actually tried radical honesty for a while, and it doesn't work all that well because people kind of want you to lie to them about certain things. No woman wants to hear "Yes honey, that does make your ass look fat" and no man wants to hear "Yes darling, it is very small". No person of any gender tends to want to hear the negative things they think about themselves from other people. If you're that much in favor of honesty, practice it in your daily life and suffer the consequences of breaking the social protocol day in and day out.

Hell, set up 10 dates, then on that first date tell the woman or man exactly what you are thinking and feeling every second of the evening and see how well that goes for you.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

TM, I already told you where I stand on this. I haven't told you what I think of PUA. You haven't got any idea what research I've done on PUA to form an opinion which isn't even a strong opinion on something irrelevant to my life save for my experience with this guy. This guy has his own take on PUA stuff and was trying to teach it to his friends. That's really what this thread is about. If you have such a huge issue with it, go find him and tell him what he did wrong. I don't care what he did wrong, now that I know where he got his information, I'm not going to pretend he wasn't influenced by his obsession with PUA crap.

Information on PUA techniques varies depending on where you go. There is no official PUA doctrine. You sound like the religious sort being obtuse about a subject, demanding that your information on the subject be considered the correct information and be learned before you'll engage on the subject. Most especially similar to that is how your posting in this thread acting like someone demanded you engage in conversation. I don't want to discuss this any further because you lay out all of these demands and rules for a conversation when you engage with someone as if you've been beckoned to your computer to have a discussion and your valuable time is being wasted et cetera et cetera.

You're not a person I find at all pleasant to read posts from, but I'm civil and I just ignore what you say most of the time because that's how message boards work. I'm going to go back to pretending you are just an advertisement and scrolling on by your posts again now. Hope the world looks nice from up there on those tall heels.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:

He's threatening ACTUAL RAPE to his friends now. This is what freaks me out, if this was his mindset from the beginning. What if I had fallen for it and not caused him to become flustered and say something stupid like the thing about me losing weight? What if I'd gone somewhere with him or something? How intent on winning this bet was he?

I talked to #2's girlfriend this morning again when we met for coffee and she filled me in. She also told me to avoid him because he seems "intent" on proving himself. I asked her what that means and if I should be worried and she gave me that Texas attitude about it like it's OK that he's threatening to rape me behind my back. I'm going to the school about it tomorrow and she's coming with me as well as jerk #2 because he realized it was more serious than he had thought. This guy is so entitlement minded about women. The sad part to me is that of the two of them, her boyfriend is more in agreement with me that this is an issue to be taken seriously. We have a big group of people, mostly people in their mid twenties to mid thirties at our college who are going back to school or going to school later than normal, it formed as a way to be around a more mature social group but clearly didn't work out in every regard as we had hoped for.

I don't think PUA made this guy threaten rape, for the record. I know he is who he is, and he'd be him with or without an obsession with PUA

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2012, 7:04 pm

meems wrote:
Wow. I feel sick. Jerk #1 bet jerk #2 that he could bed any (single, I presume) female in our social circles, and jerk #2 decided based on I don't know what criteria that I would be a suitable choice.

And a handful of people were in the student area and observed jerk #1 get flustered and make an ass of himself right before I laughed and moved elsewhere.

I'm not supposed to think this is weird, I'm supposed to be flattered, so says the girlfriend of jerk #2

Whaaaat?

These guys are jaggoffs, but there is way to be less reactive and take control. Next time this happens IN PUBLIC, tell him you'll consider sleeping with him, but you need to see his tools. Give him a clear choice, show me your junk, or don't show me your junk. Don't show me your junk, and I wont sleep with you and I'll assume you have a small penis. You wont show me? Why not, what are you trying to say? Are you ashamed of something? Is it really small? Say these things in front of everyone. Reduce him to his penis. Totally objectify him. Make him feel small.

Further control him by being accommodating, and keeping the focus on this choice he must make. Tell him to take a picture of it if he's uncomfortable...use his phone...draw a picture, use your fingers to show size, keep the exchange focused on you asking him to do something...ie controlling him..

It'll be obvious that you're messing with him, so be nice at the end. Say you were kidding, and you're sure his weenie is huge. Then turn to his guy friend and say "It's huge right? You've seen it yes?"

If he DOES shows it, I wouldn't be surprised if some guys actually would, shake you're head and say sorry.

OR

Laugh in his face... and then dismiss him. Don't leave yourself, literally tell him he can go now, and keep laughing. I would love to see this lol

TM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 7:23 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
meems wrote:

Whaaaat?

These guys are jaggoffs, but there is way to be less reactive and take control. Next time this happens IN PUBLIC, tell him you'll consider sleeping with him, but you need to see his tools. Give him a clear choice, show me your junk, or don't show me your junk. Don't show me your junk, and I wont sleep with you and I'll assume you have a small penis. You wont show me? Why not, what are you trying to say? Are you ashamed of something? Is it really small? Say these things in front of everyone. Reduce him to his penis. Totally objectify him. Make him feel small.

Then she gives him an open window to grab her hand, push it onto his junk and go "Does that feel small to you" or alternatively, objectify her in return. From what meems have displayed here, she doesn't appear to have the fortitude to even consider doing something like that in public. On the other hand, what if he pulls it out? What if he replies just as loud with a put down of some kind?

If he's already mentioned rape to his friends as per her last post, he may even get violent and it means so little to be right if you get a fist placed squarely in your face. If we assume he's at the very least medium reputation defending, as her posts would indicate very few people with a background in psychology would advocate confrontation purely because provoking a reputation defender tends to trigger volative reactions.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

meems wrote:
I guess I'm safe from PUA stuff! Unless part of the PUA thing is being socially awkward and sitting by yourself with your nose in a book at the back of the library, which is the kind of thing I find to be adorable. :)

Trust me, it's not. That's how I spent breaks back then in high school and nobody ever thought it was adorable...

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

TM wrote:
knowbody15 wrote:
meems wrote:

Whaaaat?

Then she gives him an open window to grab her hand, push it onto his junk and go "Does that feel small to you" or alternatively, objectify her in return. From what meems have displayed here, she doesn't appear to have the fortitude to even consider doing something like that in public. On the other hand, what if he pulls it out? What if he replies just as loud with a put down of some kind?

If he's already mentioned rape to his friends as per her last post, he may even get violent and it means so little to be right if you get a fist placed squarely in your face. If we assume he's at the very least medium reputation defending, as her posts would indicate very few people with a background in psychology would advocate confrontation purely because provoking a reputation defender tends to trigger volative reactions.

Well, I'm assuming that this is taking place on a school campus, I could be wrong, but if he were to grab her hand and make her touch him, he's gone. Done......

I'm not totally saying she should do this, but in response to Meems saying she was gonna vomit, I was just trying to say that she has power that she may not realize.

I didn't read the part about him mentioning rape, and certainly making this dude feel small could provoke a violent reaction, however, in my personal experience, standing up to bullies often invokes enough fear that they'll leave you alone. And calling him out could reveal the weak, imature boy that this dude sounds like. He's a coward right?

If he has mentioned rape, authorities need to be called right? That's unacceptable.