Page 5 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 3:14 pm

BTW, I think that tarantella64 is leading us on a thoughtful and valuable journey of many perspectives. She has a goal, which may yield many useful additional results. I'm hoping the framework of consideration is broadly inclusive. I'd like the process to continue as highly interactive.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 4:49 pm

em_tsuj wrote:

But you are very unrealistic if you think that guys who get rejected all the time by girls and are frustrated by this rejection are not going to develop some misogynistic attitudes .......

Actually, no, misogyny is not inevitable for autistic males, nor should women be expected to tolerate it.

Quote:
I just don't think dumping everything onto the moderators is the best way to deal with these types of things. Social norms are established by what members in the community generally find to be acceptable behavior, not what the rules say or what authority figures say. I like to see misguided thinking rebutted by wrongplanet members (members of the community) instead of having moderators (authority figures) step in.

The moderators do just fine dealing with racism and homophobia. Dealing with sexism is no different.

Quote:
That's your opinion. I don't find such things offensive, even though they are directed at my gender.

I do find them offensive and so do many other women.

And I see no reason why sexism should be treated differently than racism or homophobia.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 4:52 pm

Klowglas wrote:
It's easy for me to see how you sometimes get comments that are misogynist, but the pain that people feel from those comments really pales in comparison to the hell that the commentator has already and is continuing to experience. I mean if my life is any indication... then you can bet that A LOT of tears have been shed before that comment was ever made, and I'm not talking about quiet tears, but full-blown weeping. Moderation is important but I don't think any aspie forum can expect all the males to be silent about their suffering, especially those on the more unfortunate ends... it's their suffering that leads to frustrated outbursts.

Expressing frustration can be done without making negative generalizations about the opposite sex.

And please don't make assumptions about the level of other people's "pain."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 6:34 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Okay, so I talked to the director of the women's center here about helping us come up with a reasonable policy for moderating sexism (I imagine the same policy can be used as a template for moderating other -isms). She thought it sounded like a great project, and says she's in. A little about her background and what the center does (I have her permission to tell these stories):

She is sensitive to issues to do with life on the spectrum. For her, that awareness and training started in childhood; her brother has Down Syndrome, and at the time, where they grew up, the schools put Down's and autistic kids in the same classrooms; her brother had many autistic classmates. So she was exposed to autism quite early, at a time when that was unusual, and is sensitive to disability generally.

The women's center does counseling for those who can't afford a counselor or want a feminist orientation; the counselors are doctoral students in psychology, usually. The director helps train them in counseling autistic clients. She also helps the local rape crisis center with programming/counseling for autistic victims of sexual abuse.

As for men's programming, the women's center has run programs with a volunteer group of men for six years. They do anti-violence programs, bystander training, and programs for the fraternities, and have some considerable background in social pressures on men, particularly to do with gender policing (men pressuring men to "be male" in particular and narrow ways).

So, to get started then: she likes the idea of coming up with concrete examples of "sexist/not sexist and why, also why it matters", and she very much likes the idea of inviting questions about sexism and moderation of sexism from forumites to help generate a useful set of examples. So go for it -- ask away, think about (and/or post) your own thoughts about those questions, and we'll see what she's got to add to the process. I bet we can come up with something useful -- and, per SoftwareEngineer and others, educational -- by the end of the summer.

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist. The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Do you think the dynamics of the interactions and exchanges had anything to do with the path of the thread? Do you think there were primary and secondary factors?

No, I don't think that the exchanges had anything to do with those misogynistic statements because they were general sexist statements about women and not in response to any specific post. They seemed to of reflected what he actually thought.

Have you considered the possibility what you saw was a typical autistic meltdown under pressure, as opposed to the real characteristics of the individual being exposed?

He has a pattern of saying similar things in the past.

To answer Jono's earlier question, we look how a member posts over time to see if a post is just an outburst or part of a general pattern of sexist posts.
If something is just a one-off outburst, then I can see the benefits of the membership telling the person that what they said was incorrect and offensive.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 6:42 pm

tarantella64 wrote:
you know, what I'm hearing a lot of here is, "I (or Guy) should get a pass, because I have suffering, people should just understand and deal." But everybody's got suffering, and a lot of it's pretty bad.

Klowglas, not to detract from the pain of rejection, but I don't know how many times women have to tell you that this thing about "society says men have to be the aggressors, we have special pain from rejection women are never exposed to" is pure hooey. Women can and do ask men out. And can and do get rejected. It's been going on for decades now, happens all the time, we haven't had to wait for Sadie Hawkins' Day since...mm, not in my lifetime. And I'm old.

I do think it's possible to post things about "I'm lonely and in pain" without appending "because women are b*****s/men suck/etc".

One thing to remember about "society," however, is that posters here come from quite a variety of different cultures. Not everyone is bound by exactly the same social norms. All you and I know are the current Western ones.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 7:21 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
you know, what I'm hearing a lot of here is, "I (or Guy) should get a pass, because I have suffering, people should just understand and deal." But everybody's got suffering, and a lot of it's pretty bad.

Klowglas, not to detract from the pain of rejection, but I don't know how many times women have to tell you that this thing about "society says men have to be the aggressors, we have special pain from rejection women are never exposed to" is pure hooey. Women can and do ask men out. And can and do get rejected. It's been going on for decades now, happens all the time, we haven't had to wait for Sadie Hawkins' Day since...mm, not in my lifetime. And I'm old.

I do think it's possible to post things about "I'm lonely and in pain" without appending "because women are b*****s/men suck/etc".

One thing to remember about "society," however, is that posters here come from quite a variety of different cultures. Not everyone is bound by exactly the same social norms. All you and I know are the current Western ones.

True nuff.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:46 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:
Okay, so I talked to the director of the women's center here about helping us come up with a reasonable policy for moderating sexism (I imagine the same policy can be used as a template for moderating other -isms). She thought it sounded like a great project, and says she's in. A little about her background and what the center does (I have her permission to tell these stories):

She is sensitive to issues to do with life on the spectrum. For her, that awareness and training started in childhood; her brother has Down Syndrome, and at the time, where they grew up, the schools put Down's and autistic kids in the same classrooms; her brother had many autistic classmates. So she was exposed to autism quite early, at a time when that was unusual, and is sensitive to disability generally.

The women's center does counseling for those who can't afford a counselor or want a feminist orientation; the counselors are doctoral students in psychology, usually. The director helps train them in counseling autistic clients. She also helps the local rape crisis center with programming/counseling for autistic victims of sexual abuse.

As for men's programming, the women's center has run programs with a volunteer group of men for six years. They do anti-violence programs, bystander training, and programs for the fraternities, and have some considerable background in social pressures on men, particularly to do with gender policing (men pressuring men to "be male" in particular and narrow ways).

So, to get started then: she likes the idea of coming up with concrete examples of "sexist/not sexist and why, also why it matters", and she very much likes the idea of inviting questions about sexism and moderation of sexism from forumites to help generate a useful set of examples. So go for it -- ask away, think about (and/or post) your own thoughts about those questions, and we'll see what she's got to add to the process. I bet we can come up with something useful -- and, per SoftwareEngineer and others, educational -- by the end of the summer.

Can I ask a question? How would one distinguish between someone who's ranting over bad dating experience, possibly due to poor social skills, and is possibly just lonely over it and someone who is actually sexist. The reason why I'm asking this is because in other thread, which was locked, the user by the name of Giftorcurse, posted something that initially looked to me like it was standard ranting over dating woes but subsequently posted comments which I recognised as misogynistic in that thread (calling the women who appeared to show interest in him "sluts", and referring to all women "whore" for example). I've personally also ranted on occasion but I don't believe that I've ever posted anything that would be considered misogynistic, and I would never consider posting anything like that.

Do you think the dynamics of the interactions and exchanges had anything to do with the path of the thread? Do you think there were primary and secondary factors?

No, I don't think that the exchanges had anything to do with those misogynistic statements because they were general sexist statements about women and not in response to any specific post. They seemed to of reflected what he actually thought.

Have you considered the possibility what you saw was a typical autistic meltdown under pressure, as opposed to the real characteristics of the individual being exposed?

To answer Jono's earlier question, we look how a member posts over time to see if a post is just an outburst or part of a general pattern of sexist posts.
If something is just a one-off outburst, then I can see the benefits of the membership telling the person that what they said was incorrect and offensive.

not to be hurtful, but he does seem to seem to be a bit sexist and hateful towards women. though apparenlty I'm a sexist so I doubt what I say matters.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:52 pm

sly279 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:

not to be hurtful, but he does seem to seem to be a bit sexist and hateful towards women. though apparenlty I'm a sexist so I doubt what I say matters.
I have had my moments and I am sure many others have too but I don't think it means we are indeffinatly! Dont let it get to you but dont allow your self to be sexist all the time either try your best not to be in the future that is all I can ask,

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:33 pm

In my opinion, there really needs to be a mens' only place here. I feel terrible for so many of them. There are difficulties for an Autistic old woman like myself, but I honestly don't know if I could handle the challenges that Autistic men have to deal with. I wish people on this site could,as a group, get as excited about feeding hungry kids, finding jobs for autistics, helping each other out, as we do about jumping on some lonely kids socially innapropriate methods of expressing their pain and frustration. I hope that the baiting and the twisting of peoples intentions stops soon. BTW,I definitely see more men than women being attacked in here. [discounting women who are defending the men]

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 6:20 pm

I don't understand all the bannings. It simply is over the top. I don't like or agree with these people, but some of their posts aren't that bad, they should be given a chance to defend their view.

I'm not talking about the ones who post about all women being b*****s, but some of the others.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:03 pm

I don't understand either. The words 'witch hunt" do keep popping into my head though.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:13 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
In my opinion, there really needs to be a mens' only place here. I feel terrible for so many of them. There are difficulties for an Autistic old woman like myself, but I honestly don't know if I could handle the challenges that Autistic men have to deal with. I wish people on this site could,as a group, get as excited about feeding hungry kids, finding jobs for autistics, helping each other out, as we do about jumping on some lonely kids socially innapropriate methods of expressing their pain and frustration. I hope that the baiting and the twisting of peoples intentions stops soon. BTW,I definitely see more men than women being attacked in here. [discounting women who are defending the men]

Well -- let me ask you, vicky, would it be okay by you if WP hosted a forum in which men could come and say horrible misogynistic, racists, homophobic, xenophobic, etc. things just because they're angry? Because that wouldn't be okay by me. It encourages other people in the same kind of speech and gives the idea that the ideas are fine, just "too much truth for polite society to handle". When in fact they aren't, they're just horrible and destructive.

Helping people out also involves teaching why saying such things is abusive and cruel, and not the thing to do in response to pain, and showing other ways of handling pain and frustration.

I've belonged to a lot of fora, and the process for banning has generally gone like this: some number of chances is allotted, and each time the member is contacted to let him or her know that a post has been deleted because it's in violation of the policy (and he or she is invited to check out the policy). After the number of chances to clean it up is used up, the member is banned. Not because anyone wants to be punitive, but because it's wear and tear on the mods to have to run around deleting the same people's posts repeatedly for violations, and it's also unpleasant or harmful to other forum users to have to see these kinds of posts repeatedly.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:36 pm

Autism 101. When someone is having an extreme meltdown, calling them names or comparing them to mass murderers [ or banning them from WP ] generally makes the situation worse. I am reading massive amounts of bullying lately, and it's not been by a few heartbroken"potty mouthed" young men with terrible self esteem.

The rate of suicide attempts among Autistics is 28 TIMES higher than the national average. I am much more disturbed when I read how someone on here has given up on life and wants to die than I am when someone with a broken heart is too upset to remember that if they say 'women are b*****s",that they should preface it with "Lately it feels like."

This DOES feel like a "witch hunt' to me. And it does seem that certain vulnerable young men are being deliberately triggered, antagonized, and demonized. I pray for these kids' well-being.

BTW, I could be mistaken,but it appears that a portion of the bannings in the last few days are done without warnings. one banning in particular I found actually frightening.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:50 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Autism 101. When someone is having an extreme meltdown, calling them names or comparing them to mass murderers [ or banning them from WP ] generally makes the situation worse. I am reading massive amounts of bullying lately, and it's not been by a few heartbroken"potty mouthed" young men with terrible self esteem.

The rate of suicide attempts among Autistics is 28 TIMES higher than the national average. I am much more disturbed when I read how someone on here has given up on life and wants to die than I am when someone with a broken heart is too upset to remember that if they say 'women are b*****s",that they should preface it with "Lately it feels like."

This DOES feel like a "witch hunt' to me. And it does seem that certain vulnerable young men are being deliberately triggered, antagonized, and demonized. I pray for these kids' well-being.

BTW, I could be mistaken,but it appears that a portion of the bannings in the last few days are done without warnings. one banning in particular I found actually frightening.

you know, if you witness someone being bullied you can report it to the moderators. have you tried that?

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 9:20 pm

Some bullies are too slick and well practiced to even be recognized by many.

But...I will tell you what I do. I defend those being bullied. I work hard to make the most vulnerable feel loved and cared for by feeding the homeless once a month [ approz. 35% of the homeless are autistic, and I feed them real food, not baloney on cheap white bread] I started an Autistic retreat that no one is turned from because of no money, I am a core member of a group promoting and providing employment and entrepeneurship for Autistics. I am facilitating a support group for Autistic ACONS [adult children of narcissists] And while I am doing all of this I am undergoing chemotherapy, designing jewelry, scooping out nutty fudge ice cream to naked people, being a dynamite wife and taking care of my seriously ill son.

And all I had to do was trigger vulnerable people and then notify the moderators?

I'm thinking you and I have totally different purposes in life.

BTW. I am well aware that 96% of Autistics have been sexually abused. Prevention and recovering from sexual abuse was one of our workshop topics at the retreat.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 10:01 pm

vickygleitz wrote:

I don't know what banning you're talking about, but for the rest...so if a guy is having a meltdown onscreen and saying terrible things about women, and a fragile autistic woman is reading that...that's okay?

I mean again, if we're talking about banning, then as far as I'm concerned, that's something that happens after repeated violations. If your meltdown mode involves hurting people, over and over...isn't that something that perhaps you need to do something about? And if you can't, shouldn't the mods be protecting other people from your abusive meltdowns?

Incidentally, I'm not talking about "potty mouths" -- I'm talking about saying things that demean and abuse women. I don't enjoy living in an environment where I'm simply expected to accept that this is how things go, and I don't expect to have to deal with it in online communities that are supposedly welcoming to me.