Not getting ladies when you're older unless you are rich

Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 9:39 am

cyberdad wrote:

People who are used to only mixing with upper middle class/wealthy people having to "talk" to a middle class person for the first time are likely to experience a feeling that a middle class north American might experience speaking to a person from another country for the first time. I imagine its a learning experience for both.

I can't relate to this because I've known people from other countries all my life. I don't even remember the first time, because I would have been a toddler. It's considered normal to live in a diverse world. Meeting a white girl from USA or UK meant nothing to me, just like meeting a visible minority who was born in my country or lived next door to me was commonplace.

I've never noticed a "learning experience" involved because people are people.

Are you suggesting that it's an uncomfortable/confusing experience, or that rich people are automatically racist as well being sexist to their daughters and having affluenza?

If so we might need popcorn.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 10:38 am

With regards to cyberdad's comments, I think that different people experience class divisions differently depending on geographical location and which class they are in or from and so on.

The UK has a long history of class division and has a lot longer history than the US of the so called 'different' types of people who reside here.

The US was supposedly rather progressive with its constitution when it was first conceived of, whilst other countries were still ruled by near-absolute monarchy and so on, or were in the transition of becoming slightly less powerful monarchies.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 11:07 am

Is cyber suggesting that people from other countries and/or immigrants are automatically lower class?

I'm not sure how one can equate skin colour (if that's what he's on about) to financial status.

It seems rather prejudiced or presumptuous, imo.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 11:56 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Is cyber suggesting that people from other countries and/or immigrants are automatically lower class?

I'm not sure how one can equate skin colour (if that's what he's on about) to financial status.

It seems rather prejudiced or presumptuous, imo.

I think what he's saying is that a wide disparity in income and social class can make people just as foreign to each other as being born in two different nations.

Which seems fair, much like being separated by many generations would also have that effect.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 12:00 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
With regards to cyberdad's comments, I think that different people experience class divisions differently depending on geographical location and which class they are in or from and so on.

The UK has a long history of class division and has a lot longer history than the US of the so called 'different' types of people who reside here.

The US was supposedly rather progressive with its constitution when it was first conceived of, whilst other countries were still ruled by near-absolute monarchy and so on, or were in the transition of becoming slightly less powerful monarchies.

Folks often forget that for as many rich people as the US has, they don't have an upper class in the sense of a landed gentry and nobility. Rich Americans are more likely to embrace a facade of being 'regular middle class people', rather than behaving like they're aristocrats.

Even people like the Trumps behave more like gawdy, obnoxious nouveau riche than like aristocrats.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 12:02 pm

I understand feeling different from someone with a widely different upbringing whether that's related to class or not, but I don't think it's safe to say all "rich" kids had cushy or entitled lives, and I don't understand the comparison with people from other countries.

Maybe it's just me since I've had a lot of exposure to people from all over the world from a young age but I don't find people mysterious, confusing or even "exotic" because of their heritage. (In fact I find all people mysterious, confusing, and somewhat exotic because I'm ND and all people freak me out to some degree, but that's unrelated to where they're from.)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 12:08 pm

I know lots of extremely wealthy people through uni, and my son's uni friends too. We know an actual princess whose family owns countries and corporations worldwide. I know she's only one example but she went to daycare because her parents worked. She didn't have a nanny. She went to public school. They didn't have a huge house or lots of flashy cars. She was expected to grow up like like her peers by babysitting, having part-time jobs at McDonald's or equivalent, and paying her own way through uni by working while in school. She had the same meal-card for campus food like everyone else, she dressed like everyone else, and she had to budget her own money because ma and pa Billionaire weren't dishing anything out unless she earned it herself, which is the way it should be.

In fact I hate to say I spoil my kids more than she was spoiled, and I'm dirt broke.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 12:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I understand feeling different from someone with a widely different upbringing whether that's related to class or not, but I don't think it's safe to say all "rich" kids had cushy or entitled lives, and I don't understand the comparison with people from other countries.

Maybe it's just me since I've had a lot of exposure to people from all over the world from a young age but I don't find people mysterious, confusing or even "exotic" because of their heritage. (In fact I find all people mysterious, confusing, and somewhat exotic because I'm ND and all people freak me out to some degree, but that's unrelated to where they're from.)

People from other countries have different cultures.
People from the upper class/nobility also often have cultural differences compared to regular people. This doesn't mean that there aren't families from that class that wouldn't try to have 'regular' experiences, whether to help their kids development or just to 'slum it' and larp as regular people for an evening.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 12:22 pm

Country / culture - Sometimes I suppose, but not necessarily. My culture is the same with my American friends, my friends in Europe, etc. Sometimes it's slightly different because of religious differences or beliefs but I'm used to that because I grew up with Jewish, Muslim, Hindu (etc.) friends and teachers who were born and lived here in my own country. They wouldn't have to be from another country to be different and even if they were, I don't see it as a cause for culture shock.

I'm not trying to belabour the point or suggest CD said something outrageous. I get his general point I suppose, assuming he's not used to multiculturalism in his own country or the people he dated were from a widely different financial class. If they were so rich and judgmental against "normies" then I wonder why they dated him once, at all?

This is just me trying to make sense of other people's life experience or their meaning. I'm not bashing CD.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 1:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Folks often forget that for as many rich people as the US has, they don't have an upper class in the sense of a landed gentry and nobility. Rich Americans are more likely to embrace a facade of being 'regular middle class people', rather than behaving like they're aristocrats.

Even people like the Trumps behave more like gawdy, obnoxious nouveau riche than like aristocrats.

Yes, you are right. It does seem as though there is more of a chance for upwards social mobility in the US, or historically that has been the case until maybe a few decades ago, at least.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 6:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Are you suggesting that it's an uncomfortable/confusing experience, or that rich people are automatically racist as well being sexist to their daughters and having affluenza?

I think FE and Blitzy have explained my position fairly accurately. Nothing much more to add.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:01 pm

Just to clarify, rich women look down on men with less income but rich men will date whoever they want?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm not trying to belabour the point or suggest CD said something outrageous. I get his general point I suppose, assuming he's not used to multiculturalism in his own country or the people he dated were from a widely different financial class. If they were so rich and judgmental against "normies" then I wonder why they dated him once, at all?

Sorry I probably need to remember not to leave myself open to be taken so literally (my bad).
Let's say your parents are both high flying lawyers both earning 6 figure salaries. they move to Beverly Hills and put their daughter into an elite boarding school where everyone's parents live in gated communities in Beverly Hills, join country clubs where social circles. Outside of school the daughter joins Alliance Francais and becomes part of a French Literature club where she recites French poetry, she and her brother play Polo on weekends. the family take holidays in Paris where the daughter can practice her French. She only listens to classical music and her parents restrict her television so she can focus on extra-curricular activities. Her parents are vegan and only eat at the most exclusive vegan restaurants in Beverly Hills. Both her parents went to Stanford Law School so naturally our female protagonist in our story gets a scholarship to Stanford Law school.
As a 18 year old freshmen in her law class she is put in a group for her assignment and for the first time in her life she meets a middle class young man who actually grew up not far from Beverly Hills but whose dad was plumber and mom a housewife and lived in a ordinary middle class neighbourhood and ordinary government school. the young man instantly thinks she is "dateable" and asks her out for a coffee. Our female protagonist suddenly experiences culture shock in Stanford, despite physical attraction, the pair find they not only have absolutely nothing in common and neither understand each others cultural references. In her mind, it was like meeting somebody from a completely different country. Despite growing up only a few miles from each other.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Just to clarify, rich women look down on men with less income but rich men will date whoever they want?

Rich men sleep with whoever they want. Dating/marriage is another matter.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:18 pm

Whoever they want?

They wouldn’t be sleeping with me unless I consented.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2024, 7:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Whoever they want?

They wouldn’t be sleeping with me unless I consented.

I mean sleeping with "whoever" means class/wealth is not a consideration for a one-off fling.