Page 7 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:27 pm

Chain: it's glaringly obvious why you've been so successful with women and I'd bet they're the interesting kind too :wink:

Soit dit en passant, beaucoup plus de gens ici parlent français qu'allemand, thaï ou japonais.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:45 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Socially speaking humans were always closer to chimps/gorillas, not to bonobos.

Speak for yourself... I am much more like a Bonobo :)

"Solange das patriarchalische Denken nicht die Grenzen überschreitet um den Frauen die Wahl zu nehmen, selbst zu entscheiden, Okey. Ich würde das jedenfalls NIE über mich ergehen lassen. Ich lasse keine Männer über mich herrschen. Ist mir völlig egal wie lange die menschliche Geschichte dieses Konstrukt am Leben erhalten hat.
Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid. Alle Religionen werden vom patriarchalische Denken getrieben und schau wohin uns das geführt hat. Ganz zu schweigen welch grausame Taten wir dem Christentum zu verdanken haben."

Genau!

I should start writing Arabic or French here, It would be a true babel!

Do it.

I can't read German, but I can understand French. I don't know Arabic either, but I want to learn it.

Just put it in google translate

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:47 pm

Chain wrote:
Human cultures (tribes) are a balancing act between hierarchy and equality. Gender in this case is a cultural construct. There have been matriarchal societies. I lived in Japan for 3 years and even through the intense patriarchy there, I could see remnants of the older matriarchal society.

DNA is simply a form of memory as is culture. There is a survival of the fittest BUT that changes based on survival methods in a given species. Humans survive when the tribe is balanced between equality and hierarchy. Personally I don't like hierarchy at all and feel that we are past that tribal stage as a species. Hence "radical egalitarian" :)

Matriarchy, when it arises, is specifically to do with either inheritance or a religious deity relating to a mother goddess.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:49 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
LunaticCentruroides wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Patriarchy is one of the greatest tragedy that happened to the human race.

There's a reason why females are more picky than males.

Women may be picky but prefere on average the most dominant men. For this patriarchy seems to be especially the preference of women regardless whether you may like or dislike this. :wink:

This is true, you cannot deny that even the most ardent feminist quietly scans her community for the most dominant alpha male.

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2020, 5:50 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

When it comes to DNA as memory, it shows that humans have been mostly patriarchal and polygynous through mankind history: https://psmag.com/environment/17-to-1-r ... ve-success

There are other evidences of that such such as our sexual dimorphism and.... the written history itself, “Patriarchal” species tend to have violent and territorial males, and... who always waged wars in human history?

Patriarchy is one of the greatest tragedy that happened to the human race.

There's a reason why females are more picky than males.

Most mammals are patriarchal and polygynous (the two things are very related btw).

I personally welcome polygamy, because it's indeed more natural than monogamy.

But patriarchy is monogamous, not polygynous.

We might have a different definition of patriarchy then? :|

Patriarchy was extremely polygynous too; when kings and tribe chiefs had hundreds of partners.

Even ancient Judaism was polygynous, and so ancient Hinduism (it stopped being since 1955 only). All these religions are a reflection of Patriarchy.

It took a monogamous form after the rise of Christianity in the world; even in the current Muslim countries which were previously Christian (ie. Egypt, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon...etc) the polygyny is frowned upon and not much socially tolerated.

Yes the men did. But not the women.

The men took the women to posses them, as if they're objects.

I have a huge aversion for religions, especially Christianity, (because in my homecounty people, including my grandparents, were driven by this belief system). And there's a reason why I have this perspective.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:51 pm

That’s not the way romance works for the majority.....except maybe a bit in high school.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:51 pm

Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid.

Volle Zustimmung. Es ist besser den Feminismus zu stoppen bevor er noch schlimmer wird. :thumright:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To even think that one sex could have dominion over another is insane and brings suffering.

You are totally right. For this it's better to stop the feminism before it becomes worse. :thumright:

LunaticCentruroides
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2020, 5:52 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Speak for yourself... I am much more like a Bonobo :)

"Solange das patriarchalische Denken nicht die Grenzen überschreitet um den Frauen die Wahl zu nehmen, selbst zu entscheiden, Okey. Ich würde das jedenfalls NIE über mich ergehen lassen. Ich lasse keine Männer über mich herrschen. Ist mir völlig egal wie lange die menschliche Geschichte dieses Konstrukt am Leben erhalten hat.
Überhaupt zu denken ein Geschlecht könnte Herrschaft über ein anderes haben ist irrsinnig und bringt Leid. Alle Religionen werden vom patriarchalische Denken getrieben und schau wohin uns das geführt hat. Ganz zu schweigen welch grausame Taten wir dem Christentum zu verdanken haben."

Genau!

Moi je ne défend pas le patriarcat; mais j’étais simplement en train d'expliquer à LC comment c’est associé à polygynie (un homme + plusieurs femmes) - je ne suis pas vraiment d’accord avec elle que la monogamie vient du patriarcat.

Dans des certaines périodes de l’antiquité, le “marriage” était un privilège réservé pour les hommes élites (chefs, rois, nobles... etc); même si c’était un privilège pour une minorité mais néanmoins était un privilege masculin à l'extrême.

Maybe you're right. Maybe the beginning of monogamy was not patriarchy. I don't know myself when it began.

(I speak french myself, but I suck at writing it :mrgreen: )

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:53 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Most women don’t seem to like polygamy.

I think polygamy (ployamory?) might be more popular with younger folks. Monogamy seems to appeal more to folks as they get a little older.

Humans are biologically prone to polygamy and its likely early humans were like chimpanzees where alpha males could choose to mate with any female who would only mate with the strongest.

Birds evolved to choose monogamous pairs but interestingly female birds will cheat on their partner and mate covertly with an alpha male.

Sexual selection leads to the Darwinian strongest fittest progeny.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 5:56 pm

We might have base instincts—but, by and large, we have transcended them.

Transcending bass instincts is one of the prerequisites of “being civilized.”

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:16 pm

If you were a woman, would you like polygamy?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I think polygamy (ployamory?) might be more popular with younger folks. Monogamy seems to appeal more to folks as they get a little older.

Humans are biologically prone to polygamy and its likely early humans were like chimpanzees where alpha males could choose to mate with any female who would only mate with the strongest.

Birds evolved to choose monogamous pairs but interestingly female birds will cheat on their partner and mate covertly with an alpha male.

No.

The alpha chimp tries to keep females from mating with other males, but he is rarely successful. Female chimps mate with lower "alphas," betas, and even omegas when the top alpha isn't watching.

Scientists have conducted DNA tests on chimp babies that confirm this.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:47 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
sly279 wrote:

No.

The alpha chimp tries to keep females from mating with other males, but he is rarely successful. Female chimps mate with lower "alphas," betas, and even omegas when the top alpha isn't watching.

Scientists have conducted DNA tests on chimp babies that confirm this.

This is true but the alpha dominance remains as the > 30% of the progeny in all females are from one male
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689943/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 6:55 pm

This has little relevance to human relationships. And any relevance is within the lowest level of civilization.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 02 Jul 2020, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:01 pm

Chain wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I should start writing Arabic or French here, It would be a true babel!

Sure... I will write in Thai and Japanese... German is pretty well covered and I am rusty as hell :lol:

عظيم، هيك منتسلى

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:02 pm

The article has nothing to do with chimps or essentialism, it's one persons account of their experience. No need to analyse it as anything else, there is no collective truth to be found within this piece of writing.