How do you decide if someone is right for you?

Page 7 of 16 [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 4:27 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
While I can be friendly with most people instantly, I'd have to know you at least a few days or weeks before I'd feel comfortable making plans to meet up at places other than where we happen to cross paths already, even as friends - to be the kind of friend I'd let into my house, I'd probably have to know you for at least a few weeks / months - to live together, easily months if not over a year.

Usually what makes me feel as though "yes, this person is a good match" or however you'd care to phrase it, is that we have a few core traits in common, just enough that we tend to move more in concert than in opposition. The issue with simply "meeting people" or being in the same place, and relying on just "being there" as a criteria to move on, is that lines that intersect can still be perpendicular, and just cos two people end up in the same spot doesn't mean they're both on the same path. Friends often come and go as they progress through their lives. People often drift apart as their lives continue in different directions.

So, to me, it's important to know if the person you plan to be with, even remotely shares some semblance of a common trajectory in life. The longer you get to know a person, the more you can learn what a person's core qualities are, where they plan to go in life, and where they actually are going in life. Someone with a very different trajectory than mine, is probably not right for me. Fine as a friend, maybe even a close friend, but not as a life partner.

A couple of common interests on top of that don't hurt. But I tend to share at least one or two common interests with anyone I become regular friends with, anyway. So that's not usually an active concern.

There are also a few things about me, my life, my hobbies, personality, etc, that any potential partner would have to decide if it matched their path in life. I suppose one might over-simplify it as "she doesn't run away", but it's definitely more nuanced and tactful than just that. I recognize the optics of how some things might seem to others, and differences in comfort levels. So I make sure people get to know who I am as well, not just by telling them, but by being that person, so they can see for themselves.

this sounds very reasonable. And (yes) very nuanced and tactful. But I did say I view friendship a little differently to the norm. But I never intended to shake anyone's ontological foundations. I do sense you are confident and happy with your social life so my perspective is unlikely to make much of an impression other than minor amusement.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 8:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I assume this question is for females. For males, I'm afraid its rather simple.

I don't think so.

Oh brother, Bee's question was "Is this person right for me". For a male the algorithm is simple, nice pleasant personality, she isn't running away, she could be the one.

Wow. You're easy to please.

I'm male, and for me it's not simple at all. A large percentage of people either bore or annoy me. Beyond that, for me to seriously begin to consider someone as a partner, she has to be highly intelligent, creative, open-minded, physically attractive (to me), rigorously honest, not too "normie", have at least some shared areas of interest with me, and be able to deal with my numerous eccentricities. And after all that, we still have to prove to be compatible as a long-term couple.

As it turns out, I got lucky. Very lucky. But it took a very long time to get here.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 4:25 pm

When I met my current partner we spent 5 minutes under a pool table hiding from the guy she came with. That conversation ticked enough boxes that we were in bed within 1/2 hour and
in the middle of the night she came with me to a 711 wearing nothing but my dressing gown.
I'm not sure why that impressed me, but I suspect it was her boldness/fearlessness.
The next day she introduced her flatmates and went to the kitchen so she could hear me say my name....hehehe.
There were no deal-breakers overnight or that day, and we're still together 35 years later.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 5:42 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Wow. You're easy to please.

I'm male, and for me it's not simple at all. A large percentage of people either bore or annoy me. Beyond that, for me to seriously begin to consider someone as a partner, she has to be highly intelligent, creative, open-minded, physically attractive (to me), rigorously honest, not too "normie", have at least some shared areas of interest with me, and be able to deal with my numerous eccentricities. And after all that, we still have to prove to be compatible as a long-term couple.

As it turns out, I got lucky. Very lucky. But it took a very long time to get here.

Mine was an opener

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 5:42 pm

Carbonhalo wrote:
When I met my current partner we spent 5 minutes under a pool table hiding from the guy she came with. That conversation ticked enough boxes that we were in bed within 1/2 hour and
in the middle of the night she came with me to a 711 wearing nothing but my dressing gown.
I'm not sure why that impressed me, but I suspect it was her boldness/fearlessness.
The next day she introduced her flatmates and went to the kitchen so she could hear me say my name....hehehe.
There were no deal-breakers overnight or that day, and we're still together 35 years later.

5 min rule

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 9:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
*SIGH* Just because broccoli is healthier than popcorn doesn't by proxy make popcorn toxic. "Better" and "worse" are relative qualifiers, neither of which mean "good" or "bad" on their own. Healthier indicates a state of better health. Less-healthy is not the same as UN-healthy. Your own words indicate that it is your interpretation at work here. English, on the other hand, recognizes the above differentiations.

In your enthusiasm you might have missed that I mentioned speaking in "operational language". Operationalising health on some type of continuum (I understand this to be your intention) means any thing that reduces health can be interpreted as unhealthy (reducing both health and wellbeing). the agent acting on our health is by default toxic.

Something being toxic isn't of course fatal. If we are talking about words then maybe its stressful which if used to often leads to stress and an early heart attack. (Sorry the analogy is for illustrative purposes only).

So, you understand what I meant, you're just choosing to take it differently. Gotcha. In other news, all food is now toxic, since it's less heathy than kale...

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2024, 10:43 pm

bee33 wrote:

There are also a few things about me, my life, my hobbies, personality, etc, that any potential partner would have to decide if it matched their path in life. I suppose one might over-simplify it as "she doesn't run away", but it's definitely more nuanced and tactful than just that. I recognize the optics of how some things might seem to others, and differences in comfort levels. So I make sure people get to know who I am as well, not just by telling them, but by being that person, so they can see for themselves.
That's a good healthy attitude. I think it can be difficult to show our real selves instead of trying to be who the other person expects us to be or thinks that we are. I'm still navigating that with my relatively new relationship, which is about 9 months old at this point but I still feel like I'm walking on eggshells. He isn't doing anything to make me feel that way and he is very kind and accepting of me, but I feel that way nevertheless.

Sometimes it's partly anxiety about being my true self around someone - but other times, it's more like, I recognize that something might look like an actual and understandable red flag, without context. For example, I've been practicing martial arts since I was rather young. As a result, I have a collection of knives, machetes, swords, and other hand weapons, much more so than the average person. I could very easily understand how someone who didn't yet know me well, might be concerned as to whether I was a violent maniac, or a responsible practitioner, or what.

I don't hide all my knives. That would be dishonest, and only backfire if they found them later. I almost always carry a knife. It's usually plainly visible. Some of my knives are on display - but not all of them - just a few. So they get to see that I have knives, as many people do, these days. More importantly, they get to see that I can carry a knife, without the need to constantly brandish it or talk about it or threaten people with it or obsess over it, or other creepy behaviors that I've seen guys exhibit.

Additionally, I don't just collect them, but practice with them. Martial arts are how I exercise, and I train with live blades. Spend enough time around me, and there's a good chance of you seeing me swinging a blade around at some point. It is understandable that not everyone is comfortable with this. Some people may not be comfortable with that, period, even if not done around them. That's a decision for the other person to make. Rather than say "I want a woman who is this way or that", I just leave it at, "they get to decide whether or not they're comfortable with me".

I recognize that finding the right person isn't just about my own preferences. Whether or not I'm their cup of tea matters, too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 2:51 am

So, you understand what I meant, you're just choosing to take it differently. Gotcha. In other news, all food is now toxic, since it's less heathy than kale...

Even Kale kills you
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tamination

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 3:15 am

I thought my ex-boyfriend was the one for me.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 3:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Even Kale kills you
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tamination

According to your own article, it's not the kale, but the man-made chemicals leeching into it. Just like fish aren't toxic, but the mercury from pollution is. But I've noticed that differentiating things gives you difficulty, so I understand where the confusion lies.

Meanwhile, I've dipped a baseball bat in peanut butter. If I clobber someone with it, they died of a peanut allergy...?

Though the ball gets kicked around, it's still the center of attention... I guess...

What other insightful wisdom do you have to share?

Anything else related to the topic?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 5:39 pm

According to your own article, it's not the kale, but the man-made chemicals leeching into it. Just like fish aren't toxic, but the mercury from pollution is. But I've noticed that differentiating things gives you difficulty, so I understand where the confusion lies.

Meanwhile, I've dipped a baseball bat in peanut butter. If I clobber someone with it, they died of a peanut allergy...?

Well the way to get around both is to grow your own Kale (which unfortunately most kale eaters do not do) and avoid getting clobbered by a baseball bat in the first place and particularly if you have a peanut allergy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 5:41 pm

What other insightful wisdom do you have to share?

Anything else related to the topic?

I have a 116 page sticky thread on the parent's forum, you ask, I'll keep dropping pearls of wisdom :lol:

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 9:11 pm

And if you boil raisins in applesauce, they taste more like prunes than rhubarb does.

I agree, it's probably best to keep your sticky droppings all in one place.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 9:21 pm

It's not one decision. It's decided and affirmed multiple times as things progress.

Is this person right to ...

talk to
flirt with
confide in / dance with etc.
trust
be alone with
kiss, shag, date once
twice
three times
commit to
meet my family
meet their family
travel with
have kids with

etc

It's not a decision that's one and done
It needs to be reaffirmed at every step of the way

That's the fun and romantic part

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 10:09 pm

And do you trust them to look out for you?

I figure it's a two-way arrangement. We both have to protect the other.

Of course, there are limits. But if she'd be completely inept in looking out for me then I think I should move on.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2024, 10:26 pm

In response to those who think it takes five minutes, my partner said:

"Off the top of my head I can think of two different girls I dated briefly in high school before (late wife). In both cases they were attractive looking but ended up having so little upstairs, and they were so uninteresting to me that it wasn't worth even trying to sleep with them. Maybe some immature guys would continue to ride it out as long as they could but personally I found it ended up being unfulfilling to the point of being gross."