Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Asparagus
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jan 2006, 1:36 am

Have any of you been out on a date where the other person out of the blue starts talking about Asperger's? She called it Asperger's Disease!! Those she knows with it use/ view it as a disability. What she's experienced is what those with a negative view of AS know us by. Her views on it weren't at all flattering.
I'm really confused now if I should try to show her that not all those with AS fit the negative stereotype or if I should just jump ship. I'd like to break the mold but I don't want to become obsessed with that and loose sight of the potential us. I just don't know.
Well enough of that, I'm going to spend the rest of night being happy going out with a lady for first time in almost 10 years :D

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 2:38 am

Nah, don't jump ship. Just be yourself, seduce her, and have lots of fun. If you know her well already, next time she starts talking about it, tell her you have Aspergers. Do NOT make a comment on how her views are wrong, or how it's not a disease, etc. When you attempt to tell people blatantly, they just put up walls to ignore what you say. She'll come to question her perceptions through due course after getting to know you anyway. Probably, she'll just be curious and it'll become a conversation topic for a short while. Just don't let it put you off from being your charming self. It's not a big deal.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 9:16 am

Absolutely not! I don't believe that at all!