should we get back together?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

anomaly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2009, 12:29 am

my ex (aspie) and i (NT) were together for 4 and a half yrs in high school for 3 yrs together and 1 yr in a distance relationship but i always went to him every month. once summer came i worked all the time and when i took the time off, i would want to see him. he didnt put any effort in seeing me. i made the plans and if the plans were not more interesting than a game he was doing he wasnt going. it made me feel like i wasnt worth his time. i started nagging him about caring, being intimate, and wanting to feel wanted. we ended up breaking up. not a messy break up at all. we still talk just as we have before just labeled it as friends. it wasnt much of a transition because we hadnt been intimate for 6 months and once we said just friends the tension was gone.

now i transfered to his college (not because of him but because i wasnt liking where i was). its been 2 and half months and i still like him. mainly because we have gone back to just having fun w/ each other and its very laid back. he has done more nice things in the last 2 months than he has in 2 yrs. also being a block away from each other there isnt planning, its just me going over to his place to hang out and most of our friends live in his dorm. he has said that he is more willing to do the nice things when we r just friends. but when i started flirting w/ him he would literally push me away and feel more like im a chore to deal w/. he has said he doesnt want to get back together cause he doesnt want to go back to me nagging about caring, being intimate, and wanting to feel wanted.

i think i have learned that nagging does nothing, doesnt help and only makes the relationship a pain. but im not going to stop wanting to be cared about, having intimacy, and wanting to b wanted. is it even a good idea to start this up? if we did get back together do i just leave him alone when i want to be treated better? or talk to him once and let it go? anyone have and inputs?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 12:43 am

trying to get back together with someone is always an iffy prospect at best... if your partner broke up with you once, that person can easily do so again... that's why I have a strict "no re-associations" policy... all breakups are final. Sure, I try my best to stay friends if that's what is warranted... But I'm not going to expose myself to even more hurt...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 1:06 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

anomaly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2009, 12:11 pm

i agree i think if something doesnt work once, its not going to work again. on the other hand we have both changed in the yrs and i believe we learn and fix things.

thanks for the welcoming

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 12:27 pm

I disagree, to a point. Something which failed once will not suddenly succeed on another attempt; however, if both parties have changed over a period of time, then there is no reason why both parties may not have 'grown closer' in terms of their needs and desires. Running back after a week to a wrecked relationship may not pay dividends, but returning to one in the past with discussion could bear benefits. After ten weeks... it is risky, admittedly. But time does change things. Ten years ago, my wife and I would not have made a successful partnership - but we stayed close, kept evolving together, and now we are more in love than ever before as well as newly married.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

23 Nov 2009, 1:35 pm

anomaly wrote:
but when i started flirting w/ him he would literally push me away and feel more like im a chore to deal w/. he has said he doesnt want to get back together cause he doesnt want to go back to me nagging about caring, being intimate, and wanting to feel wanted.

i think i have learned that nagging does nothing, doesnt help and only makes the relationship a pain. but im not going to stop wanting to be cared about, having intimacy, and wanting to b wanted. is it even a good idea to start this up? if we did get back together do i just leave him alone when i want to be treated better? or talk to him once and let it go? anyone have and inputs?

Sweetie, he's told you what he wants - to be free of meeting your needs for sex and emotional intimacy. This is not an Aspie/NT issue, this happens in NT/NT relationships all the time - he's telling you what he wants, and you're not listening because it's not what you want to hear.

Believe me, it's not about how you ask for his attention and his body (nagging) - it's about him not being interested in those aspects of the relationship. I know that's hard to hear, but it doesn't mean that you won't find a man out there who is interested - it's just not this guy. And trust me, you deserve to be with a guy who wants to be with you.

IMO, this is why people should forego the whole "let's be friends" phase of breaking up. When you try to become friends right away, you give yourself no time to be alone, process your feelings, and heal any wounds caused by the relationship. Now you're paying the price....you feel that old flame rekindling, but he doesn't want to rekindle it. Do yourself a favor, kiddo...stop spending time with him for the rest of this academic year. Make new friends, get involved in building a life for yourself on campus, and find someone new. When you meet the right guy, you'll look back on this relationship and see it for what it is - a learning experience.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 5:49 pm

Personally, I wouldn't go back to someone if we ever broke up. It doesn't matter who broke up with who, people break up for a reason, and that reason means the relationship didn't work out. Getting back with an ex, in my eyes, is a recipe for disaster and further heartache for both parties.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 6:29 pm

HopeGrows wrote:
anomaly wrote:
but when i started flirting w/ him he would literally push me away and feel more like im a chore to deal w/. he has said he doesnt want to get back together cause he doesnt want to go back to me nagging about caring, being intimate, and wanting to feel wanted.

Sweetie, he's told you what he wants - to be free of meeting your needs for sex and emotional intimacy. This is not an Aspie/NT issue, this happens in NT/NT relationships all the time - he's telling you what he wants, and you're not listening because it's not what you want to hear.

Believe me, it's not about how you ask for his attention and his body (nagging) - it's about him not being interested in those aspects of the relationship. I know that's hard to hear, but it doesn't mean that you won't find a man out there who is interested - it's just not this guy. And trust me, you deserve to be with a guy who wants to be with you.

IMO, this is why people should forego the whole "let's be friends" phase of breaking up. When you try to become friends right away, you give yourself no time to be alone, process your feelings, and heal any wounds caused by the relationship. Now you're paying the price....you feel that old flame rekindling, but he doesn't want to rekindle it. Do yourself a favor, kiddo...stop spending time with him for the rest of this academic year. Make new friends, get involved in building a life for yourself on campus, and find someone new. When you meet the right guy, you'll look back on this relationship and see it for what it is - a learning experience.

I agree with you 100%. Relationships don't work, if one person wants one thing, and the other person wants something else.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 2:42 pm

anomaly wrote:
my ex (aspie) and i (NT) were together for 4 and a half yrs in high school for 3 yrs together and 1 yr in a distance relationship but i always went to him every month. once summer came i worked all the time and when i took the time off, i would want to see him. he didnt put any effort in seeing me. i made the plans and if the plans were not more interesting than a game he was doing he wasnt going. it made me feel like i wasnt worth his time. i started nagging him about caring, being intimate, and wanting to feel wanted. we ended up breaking up. not a messy break up at all. we still talk just as we have before just labeled it as friends. it wasnt much of a transition because we hadnt been intimate for 6 months and once we said just friends the tension was gone.

now i transfered to his college (not because of him but because i wasnt liking where i was). its been 2 and half months and i still like him. mainly because we have gone back to just having fun w/ each other and its very laid back. he has done more nice things in the last 2 months than he has in 2 yrs. also being a block away from each other there isnt planning, its just me going over to his place to hang out and most of our friends live in his dorm. he has said that he is more willing to do the nice things when we r just friends. but when i started flirting w/ him he would literally push me away and feel more like im a chore to deal w/. he has said he doesnt want to get back together cause he doesnt want to go back to me nagging about caring, being intimate, and wanting to feel wanted.

Why on earth do you want t get back together with him? You sound completely incompatible.

If you get back together, you'll either have to put up with being emotionally neglected and have to run the entire relationship by yourself, or you can go down the nag route and try to change him into something he's not. Either way, you will not be happy.

If it's too hard to stay friends without wanting him back as your boyfriend, then you should probably stop seeing eachother.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 4:44 pm

Well it's good that you learned nagging is a waste of freaking time. But unfortunately it looks like getting back together with this guy is also a waste of freaking time.