If a guy says this.....?????!?@?@

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2006, 8:51 pm

Ok... a guy who works in my office was chatting with me today and asked me what I do on weekends. I said well just hang out with my kids or sleep. He said "don't you spend time with your bf?"

Is he asking this because he is trying to see if I am available?

Help!

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 8:53 pm

Well do you? :)

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 8:56 pm

quietangel wrote:
Is he asking this because he is trying to see if I am available?

i don't think that anyone can say for certain, but i think that it is quite likely to be the reason why he asked you.

so..... is he cute? :D

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2006, 9:07 pm

well... I told him I don't have a bf and he asked why not..
Then he was hanging around my office...argh!

yes he is cute... <blush> I actually had a dream about him the other night <blushing more>

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 9:09 pm

Generally people like to know your relationship status as a way of establishing your place in a social order...it's not an unusual question and doesn't necessarily mean he's interested in you, but then again, it could be so.

You would have needed to ask him the same question, like ask whether he spent the weekend with his girlfriend/wife. You do get married guys coming on to you at the office, so you should try to ask him about that.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2006, 9:18 pm

I think he is single, Ihe said something in our conversation about "maybe that is why he is still single..."

I did notice he kept interjecting personal information about himself....
I feel kind of strange asking pesonal things...

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 9:27 pm

Yeh I hate asking personal things too, but there's the 'office romeo' type who flirts with every woman in the office and as I've said, married guys who hope to get a bit 'on the side', so for your own protection, you need to ask some personal questions.

Sorry to sound suspicious about this, but in my experience you have to be. I hope it all goes well anyway,

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 10:24 pm

This is a common trick, abeit a very very cheesy one ;) ;)

I get it sometimes, and don't really know what to say.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 10:37 pm

I vote for he's definitely interested in you. I've had guys complain to me quite vehemently how hard it is to tell if a girl's available or not. They don't want to come straight out and ask because it's too obvious and they're scared of being rejected. So they find some way to edge around the question and glean whatever information they can. The fact that he's hanging around your office and asking you questions is another sign of interest.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 10:39 pm

As Hale_Bopp said, this is a common trick.

I would say that it's 90% likely that he asked in order to get info about your availability. But, honestly, how else could he find out???

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 10:54 pm

A smooth playa is at work here 8)

Hopefully he's not a jerk, but then thats half the atraction with some guys :P

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 9:22 pm

If you're both interested, just go for it.

Arch101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2006, 12:20 am

Yup, he's probing. Be kind, decide quickly wether or not you want a relationship and make a decision one way or another. Life's too short.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

12 Feb 2006, 6:17 pm

Ive had guys ask that before. I always took the "well why dont you have a boyfriend" comments as some one trying to see if I was defective in some way because I was single... lol. But thats just me, and I totally have a record for interp. things in the most negitive way possible.

He sounds intrested. Take it slow and go for it!!

grayson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2006, 10:46 am

lowfreq50 wrote:
I would say that it's 90% likely that he asked in order to get info about your availability. But, honestly, how else could he find out???

Well, he could come up and say, "Hi, Quietangel, you know, I think you're pretty neat, and I like the way you always have a good answer to things, and how you don't wear tons of makeup, and I was just wondering if you were available, because if you are, I'd like to ask you out. " :D

I mean, for me anyway, there's nothing about the sly approach that makes me more interested in a guy. He's either someone I'm interested in, or he isn't, and I don't suddenly lose interest because he lets me know he's interested in me. I find it really, really odd that people think this makes them look weak or lame or something.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 11:26 am

It's hard to say what he was getting at. If you have children, I would assume you are married. I would assume he would assume that too. It's curious that he asked whether you spend time with your boyfriend instead of your husband unless he already knows you are unmarried or divorced.

The words alone can't fully convey what he was getting at. He might have been trying to find out if were available, but it really is hard to tell from what's given here.