Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rhapsody
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2010, 9:16 pm

So, I wasn't exactly sure whether to put this here or in the social skills one, but since it has to do with dating I'm going to put it here. Anyway, one of my best friends has been really depressed lately after being dumped by her boyfriend and he went about it the wrong way and the poor thing is doubting herself and everything around her. I really want to help her, but I don't know how to console her or make her feel better and I'm too far away to give her a hug/shoulder to cry on and hope that helps. I don't have any experience on the matter of dating: I've never been on a date, I've never had a boyfriend and I've never gotten dumped. I can't even begin to fathom how she feels or how I could possibly cheer her up. So my question is: how do you help a friend who is suffering through a breakup? Or conversely, what do you wish your friends had said to you when you were suffering through a breakup? I really want to help her. I just don't know what to say or do.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:26 pm

i don't know how you are friends, but if its in real life the best thing you can do is accept that shes not going to get over it in a few weeks. I was crying about a guy dumping me once and my flatmate angrily told me that the wound is not fresh "Its been 2 weeks" which is pathetic. Just try and be the best friend you can. Take her out to a funny movie. do things with other friends that are fun.

Rhapsody
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2010, 9:34 pm

We've been friends since middle school. I know that it takes awhile to get over the hurt, but it makes me sad to see her like this and I want to make her feel better. Not that I'm actually seeing her, technically, since we're in different states for the summer but we still talk about every day. I'd love to be able to take her to a funny movie and get her mind off it that way, but that would require a teleportation machine that I don't have.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 11:15 pm

Just don't say insensitive things, and be careful about what you say. You said you're far away from her? When I have a friend going through a breakup I try to hang out with them to keep their mind off things. My friend is going through a breakup now with a guy that cheated on her for over a year (she just found out). I just don't say "I told you so" and ask her a lot of questions, relating to the relationship and how she's feeling.