Any Aspie/Aspie couples here

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

graemespence1
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2010, 7:53 pm

Hello guys i'm new and i'm not new i forgot my old login details so made a new account you will know me as spartan_198 anyway enough intro from me here is a question that i need a answer for.

Me and my fiancée have both got asperger's syndrome and was wondering if there are anymore aspie/aspie couples and if so share us your stories if you wish of course. Also on a side note I was wondering if there are any aspie/aspie couples that have had children and if so could they please talk to me about any issues they had and stuff cause i looked though loads of journals and asked doctors and i cant find out any medical info on aspie/aspie couples having children.

Well hope to hear from the community and even if you are a aspie/nt couple feel free to talk about your relationship

zaidjit
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2010, 8:26 pm

I am in an aspie/aspie relationship. We are happily married.

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2010, 9:10 pm

I am half of an Aspie couple and we have four children. We didn't suspect we were on the spectrum until one of our kids was diagnosed with autism. Then the more we researched, the more we understood about our family.

We're a quirky bunch to put it lightly. The hardest parts have been dealing with the school and trying to get services for our older children. The younger two have been diagnosed early so it will be easier, we hope. We wouldn't have bothered with getting them diagnosed, but we knew from our own experiences that they would fare much better in life if they understood what sets them a part.

Funny story for you: I went to the craft store to suprise my kids with some random goodies: stickers and glowstick bracelets. Cost about $5 total. The stickers were fought over. One set was thrown away because one sticker on the sheet of 20 went missing. The kids insisted on picking specific colors of glowsticks, and of course there were not enough of each to keep everyone happy. One kid wouldn't stop biting hers. Then half of them wound up in the trash because one of the older kids broke one and got glow-in-the-dark goop all over the place. Simple idea with multi-layered complications. You should see us in the grocery store.

Can't say we're bored :jocolor:

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm

I am an Aspie, my wife is "borderline". We have been together since we were 15 and we have a son with AS. (he is 6). We didn't find out about having AS until about a year ago when our son was diagnosed. We got a second opinion, same thing. Both doctors said I have it too.
We are all very "quirky" but we make it work. Team Aspie!! :D

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 8:36 am

I am an Aspie, and so is my boyfriend. I even met him on here(I'm very proud of that fact) but it is very hard because we live in different states. :(

Faidin
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 9:27 am

Wow a relationship born from a forum meeting - interesting stuff - but I felt like I wanted to comment that, if I had the choice in hind-sight, a relationship with someone that shares (at least some) of my quirks and traits would have, likely, been wonderful.

I'm married to a NT, and it's very lonely for me sometimes when I feel like nobody gets where I'm coming from. This is a great forum thread though - I too am interested in other couples out there that both share an Asperger's diagnosis.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 10:33 am

me & my girlfriend are both aspies too =).

she sent me a random friend request on myspace which she later told me was because she thought i was cute & sounded interesting from my profile info. We talked back and forth for about a month, neither of us knowing that the other one was an aspie. But it just happened to come up when we were talking about other things. Surprisingly we had ALOT in common. She told me she had ADHD, and i said that i had AS, and she was all like, "NO WAY!! ME TOO =D!!".

But anyways, i asked her out, & we've been dating long distance for about 11 months now.
She's already wanting us to move in together & get married someday, & i told her i'd like that too. So i guess at this point we're kinda unofficially engaged :thumright:

i love her more than anything else; she's my world :heart:

Alrighty, that's kinda the condensed version of the story :)

graemespence1
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2010, 10:35 am

Thanks for the replies i'm wondering if any aspie/aspie couples knowing they were aspies had children?
Just was curious thanks

Jordan87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 6:15 am

No, but I'd eventually like to get into that sort of a relationship. Would not only be interesting,, but we'd both strangely be able to understand each a bit better by virtue of the fact we had Aspergers, whereas often, the case is we're a little slow to the punch in understanding where "Normal" people are coming from and understanding, relating to and emphasizing with them (Of course, I don't wish to generalize us as a group, which'd be silly and offensive.). I mean, sure, our issues at times would undoubtedly be different qualitatively in that one of us would be female, the other male (For most AS couples, at any rate.), which provides for different struggles in AS people the same as it does in neurotypicals, but because one of us can sometimes understand the "why" of the actions/feelings of the other person by drawing our own experience (or even by just reading WP or knowing a lot of other autistic people), it's very likely we could eventually work towards a "how" in fixing some of those situations.

Last edited by Jordan87 on 08 Nov 2010, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 9:06 am

Faidin wrote:
Wow a relationship born from a forum meeting - interesting stuff - but I felt like I wanted to comment that, if I had the choice in hind-sight, a relationship with someone that shares (at least some) of my quirks and traits would have, likely, been wonderful.

I'm married to a NT, and it's very lonely for me sometimes when I feel like nobody gets where I'm coming from. This is a great forum thread though - I too am interested in other couples out there that both share an Asperger's diagnosis.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Both of my parents are aspies and not at all happily married. In the words of Crosby, Stills and Nash "Love the one you're with."

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Nov 2010, 9:33 am

graemespence1 wrote:
Thanks for the replies i'm wondering if any aspie/aspie couples knowing they were aspies had children?
Just was curious thanks

My wife and I did not know we had AS yet, but we knew we were "different" in some way. We had a conversation when my wife was pregnant wondering "What if our kid turns out to be weird like us?" I honestly don't know if having known about AS would have made a difference.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2010, 9:40 am

My GF and I are in one. It's early day's yet but it's going well so far as we both know what we want from each other and we are both willing to give it.

And no we aren't cheating on each other.

clarizel
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2010, 1:39 am

I'm NT and married to a wonderful aspie man, he didn't know he is an aspie until we got my ds dx when he was 5 he is now 12. Our first year of marriage was a little difficult because dh is very quiet most of the time, and I'm the opposite, I like being around people and he is content to be home tending to his garden/yard or doing home projects. I wish I could socialize more often with dh and ds, but knowing that makes them uncomfortable, keeps me from enjoying myself fully. Dh does try though, he can tolerate family gatherings for me.
School is a challenge, but with the wonderful support from the teachers and staff, ds gets through it fine, we just take it one day at a time.

clarizel

DollyVicious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2010, 4:35 pm

I'm in an aspie/suspected aspie bond.

He's my best friend.