Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 4:45 pm

What does it mean when somebody takes pains to deliberately ignore you?
Several years ago there was a girl who I was on friendly terms with. Then, when I started dating my then-girlfriend, that other girl started ignoring me (and she still does). Whenever we see each other on some occasion, she deliberately doesn't look at me. She'll talk to anyone, including my parents and my little brother (she's on friendly terms with them too), except for me. She did friend me on Facebook, for some reason, although we never PM each other. She ignores me so completely that in a way it almost feels like attention, if that makes sense. What could that kind of behavior mean?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 5:48 pm

Shes pissed off that your dating someone thats not her.

I sometimes ignore people I like for other reasons, because im too scared to say the wrong thing around them.

Silhouette-Song
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2010, 7:37 pm

She's mad at you and somehow is still mad. Girls (most girls) will remember things for a long period of time and will keep that anger. It's something we do, I don't know why. All I know is that mean she's mad, when I'm angry I will ignore people and fester dislike for them. Yeah... You should just ask her if you haven't, it might unleash something that has been bothering her or something scary.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 9:14 pm

She could be hurt that you didn't go out with her instead. She could also be embarrassed if she thinks she had expressed an interest in you and you basically turned her down by not returning the attention. Or, she still likes you.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 10:13 pm

Why don't you ask her? There's no way anyone on an internet site is going to know what her motivations were.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 2:38 am

Thanks for the replies. I should probably also mention that before I started dating my gf, I asked this girl what she thought about her and she said she thought she's great and that I should go for it, so I don't know why she would be pissed because of that.

CaroleTucson wrote:
Why don't you ask her? There's no way anyone on an internet site is going to know what her motivations were.

I would, but I feel that I don't want to intrude upon her ignoring me.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 4:04 pm

alexptrans wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I should probably also mention that before I started dating my gf, I asked this girl what she thought about her and she said she thought she's great and that I should go for it, so I don't know why she would be pissed because of that.

Thinking about it again, she may have been sarcastic when she said it. I don't know.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 5:40 pm

alexptrans wrote:
alexptrans wrote:

Thinking about it again, she may have been sarcastic when she said it. I don't know.

Or that was the moment she realized you wanted someone else. So she was being truthful, but inside she was pissed off and disappointed.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 3:01 pm

If it was her who added you on Facebook, maybe she wants to talk to you again but doesn't know how after you've not talked for ages. I say you ask her what's wrong on Facebook (it's easier to talk about things via text I find, plus she can't walk off).

If she ignores your message, you should probably just accept she's still angry about something - most likely because she liked you when you went out with the other girl, though since you asked her about the other girl before you asked her out, it's her fault for not telling you how she felt IMO.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

alexptrans wrote:
Several years ago there was a girl who I was on friendly terms with. Then, when I started dating my then-girlfriend, that other girl started ignoring me (and she still does). Whenever we see each other on some occasion, she deliberately doesn't look at me. She'll talk to anyone, including my parents and my little brother (she's on friendly terms with them too), except for me. She did friend me on Facebook, for some reason, although we never PM each other. She ignores me so completely that in a way it almost feels like attention, if that makes sense. What could that kind of behavior mean?

I think she liked/likes you. It's very plausable that she only advised you to go for your ex because she saw you weren't taking the hint from her.
The fact she's added you on Facebook could be that she wanted you to take the next step and message her or it could just be that strange NT fetish for collecting facebook friends.

hale_bopp wrote:
I sometimes ignore people I like for other reasons, because im too scared to say the wrong thing around them.

Me too. :|

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:00 pm

Mark198423 wrote:
alexptrans wrote:

I think she liked/likes you. It's very plausable that she only advised you to go for your ex because she saw you weren't taking the hint from her.
The fact she's added you on Facebook could be that she wanted you to take the next step and message her or it could just be that strange NT fetish for collecting facebook friends.

:|

Quite likely. I did that once to an unrequited crush of mine. (Although back in those days we didn't have facebook..or email, for that matter.) Why did I do it? Because I was anguished that he was going out with somebody else but wanted to retain my dignity and not start blubbering in front of him. How did I retain my dignity? By pointedly ignoring him so that I wouldn't accidentally start babbling about how I'd always had a crush on him.

So maybe she's doing the same thing.